Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Odd event...

A China Airlines Airbus A330 Lost Primary Computers After Landing

On June 14th, a China Airlines Airbus A330-300 experienced the failure of several systems as it touched down at Taipei Songshan Airport. With the aircraft’s primary flight computers, thrust reverser, and autobrake systems non-responsive, the crew applied manual braking, stopping just 10 meters before the end of the runwa

Another reason to mourn the retirement of the 747 is that she and the A380 are the only a/c wide enough to offer 10-abreast in economy in humane conditions. 10-abreast on the 777 and the A350 are not great, just as 9-abreast on the 787 is also far less than ideal.

Of course many airlines will end up squeezing in one more seat abreast than it’s comfortable to do if they can get away with it, but in the 747 and A380 you’d rarely (if ever?) see 11-abreast, and 10-abreast was pretty decent as cattle class goes.

Have they changed the heathrow flight paths?

It used to be that when they were doing aproaches from the east, planes would circle over NE london, before flying southwest and joining into the straight line heading for heathrow. I've noticed that they currently all seem to be coming in from the southeast instead.

Any J class heavy 747 operations are doomed as business travel will be slower to recover than leisure travel if it ever does.

My whole business is business travel, back to around 30% already, although I deal with a lot of self-employed people who flit around Europe, so that market is open and they want to fly so they can start earning again. The corporates who I book for almost all have blanket travel bans until 2021 at the earliest. And of course, anyone who wants to travel beyond Europe will find very few countries will accept them right now.

Have they changed the heathrow flight paths?

It used to be that when they were doing aproaches from the east, planes would circle over NE london, before flying southwest and joining into the straight line heading for heathrow. I've noticed that they currently all seem to be coming in from the southeast instead.

The northern runway is closed a lot of the time.

eta, Sod's law today 27R is in operation and flights are coming in over Essex :facepalm:

Getting a nice show here tonight:

CE2099AE-D6DB-4A13-85CE-EC3F440D4BF4.jpegAB7FF996-3012-452C-B60D-8317B6EF97EE.jpeg

We’re sat outside eating our chips and every ten minutes or so a pair of these firefighting planes come past, loop back in the distance and head down to the river Vouga below, fill their tanks then climb back past us out of the valley, usually below or level with where we are at the time of passing. Make a decent racket.

There were a pair of much smaller planes going round earlier, with twin tanks by the landing gear so looked like seaplanes, but they disappeared off over the horizon half an hour ago (refuelling, or maybe their work is done).

Kids are enjoying the show, if it wasn’t so late I’d be tempted to drive a bit upstream so they can watch them taking on water, wherever that is. Imagine it’s quite a sight.

We have watched these small Polish PZL fire planes several times in action over the years on the Ionian islands and on The Peloponnese.
F2E45E3C-B962-49A5-BC56-52E60E25C17D.jpeg

They drop a mix of water and fire retardant chemicals. One year I heard during the major fires on The Peloponnese they were using the jet powered Beriev 200, one of the locals said they are capable of scooping up over 10,000 litres in twenty seconds! I still cannot believe this.

We have watched these small Polish PZL fire planes several times in action over the years on the Ionian islands and on The Peloponnese.
View attachment 224243

They drop a mix of water and fire retardant chemicals. One year I heard during the major fires on The Peloponnese they were using the jet powered Beriev 200, one of the locals said they are capable of scooping up over 10,000 litres in twenty seconds! I still cannot believe this.

That looks like it could fly at about 15mph if it wanted to. :thumbs:

Those must be tough power lines! I'd have thought in case of such impact they'd snap very quickly but they've left quite the dent...

I did a HUET course once, that helicopter water escape thing. I thought 'ah, one of those courses that I'll never need to use'. The instructor put me right with some statistics, and then it turns out 2 people in the small class had been in heli crashes - different ones. FFS.

Ooh I saw that on twitter this morning.

So they do have dragons in Wales!

View attachment 224306
last time it was a blamed on a map not having the power lines marked on it. Apache landed safely little damage as its wire cutters worked as advertised. Unfortunately power surge took out the computers so that one was scrapped. Cables are a major risk for helicopters.

BA is to retire all 747’s with immediate effect, a few years earlier than planned. Shame, such a good looking plane, even if old, noisy and rattles a bit. I have gone out of my way to be on the Queen of the Skies in the past, rather than the nicer but bland newer aircraft :(
In a further 747 development, the final nail has is now in as Boeing announces it is to end production forever

Not surprising regarding the passenger version of the 747-8, but I’d have thought the freight version might have had some legs in it yet.

But I guess keeping the line open just for the cargo version might be expensive, in particular with plenty of existing passenger a/c likely to become available for freight conversion in the coming months and years as pax demand collapses.

The 747-8 always felt like a bit of a me-too job anyway. The 400 was the high water mark of that model for me, and if one were asked to pick a single commercial aircraft to represent the jet era, it’d be the public’s favourite I would imagine (Concorde excluded, marvel as it is, due to having been out of reach of most).

Back
Top Bottom