Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

GB News' main backer, Paul Marshall, has managed to buy The Spectator, no mention if he's still in the running to buy The Telegraph.

GB News backer Sir Paul Marshall has acquired The Spectator media business in a £100m deal.

The acquisition has been completed through the hedge fund entrepreneur's Old Queen Street Ventures company, news agency PA has reported.

The Spectator and sister business Telegraph Media Group were both owned by the Barclay family until last year, but were put up for sale to help pay off debts from the family to Lloyds Bank.

ETA - apparently Marshall recently resigned as a director of GB News owner All Perspectives Ltd ahead of the second round auction for the Telegraph, the deadline for bids is 27th Sept.

Last edited:
GB News' main backer, Paul Marshall, has managed to buy The Spectator, no mention if he's still in the running to buy The Telegraph.

ETA - apparently Marshall recently resigned as a director of GB News owner All Perspectives Ltd ahead of the second round auction for the Telegraph, the deadline for bids is 27th Sept.
According to companies house, Marshall resigned from All Perspectives Ltd on 15th April 2024 - to be replaced by Lord Agnew.
Lord Agnew is always referred to as "controversial" and was a minister in Boris Johnson's government.
Failed his 11+, but went to Rugby public school nevertheless. Claims not to have got on at school. Went to Canada, then Australia where he did brothel cleaning and sheep shearing.
Mainly noted for having resigned from the Johnson government in protest at Covid loan fraud. Fraud 'rampant' in government claims Norfolk Tory peer after resignation
His wealth is supposed to derive from outsourcing contracts to India - and his government appointments from his chain of Academies (Marshall also has academies).
Agnew says that the current state of education in Britain means only 20% of the population is capable of work.
I wonder how righteous Lord Agnew can comfortable with all those GB News lies, spin and conspiracy theories?
Then again maybe he is just a front man, and the GB News policies are still controlled by Marshall's investors.
1725975398349.png

'Absolutely bonkers!' Row breaks out over fears Nigel Farage could be banned from GB News show

*archive link, to avoid the GBN site.

I so hope Labour goes ahead with this suggestion that MPs should be prevented from earning extra income for media appearances, that would mean the biggest part of Farage's income disappearing. :D

Parliament's newly formed Modernisation Committee has announced plans to examine whether paid media appearances by MP's present conflicts of interest.

The committee, chaired by Labour frontbencher Lucy Powell, will consider tightening rules on second jobs.

This move could impact several MPs who currently host television or radio programmes, including Reform UK leader Nigel Farage.

On his GB News show earlier this week, Farage said: "I don't see any conflicts of interest whatsoever. In fact, I might make an argument that's slightly different; that I'm here with a panel of people. Some agree with me, some disagree with me. We have an open debate." He directly challenged Lucy Powell: "If you're coming after us and think you can bully us, you've picked on the wrong people. I'm not going anywhere you want to martyr me, please have a go."

Lee Anderson also responded, stating: "They're trying to shut us down and silence us. But this great country won't tolerate this."

2a.gif

'Absolutely bonkers!' Row breaks out over fears Nigel Farage could be banned from GB News show

*archive link, to avoid the GBN site.

I so hope Labour goes ahead with this suggestion that MPs should be prevented from earning extra income for media appearances, that would mean the biggest part of Farage's income disappearing. :D

View attachment 442680

Presumably MPs will still be allowed to write op-eds in newspapers, though, as long as they are not paid, and so the ones currently being bankrolled by Putin or deranged hedge funders through friendly media outlets will just find some other way to access the loot while claiming their GB news gigs are pro bono.

Presumably MPs will still be allowed to write op-eds in newspapers, though, as long as they are not paid, and so the ones currently being bankrolled by Putin or deranged hedge funders through friendly media outlets will just find some other way to access the loot while claiming their GB news gigs are pro bono.
Noooo they'll be investigated and the investigation will lead to them being told off and instructed not to do it again, and the same for the next time, and the next, and ...

I've gone several months without being tempted to switch on to remind myself how awful it is. Just wish I could make it vanish from Amazon Prime TV listings like you can do on freeview.

Indeed, back in June, Frangopoulos predicted that the Tories’ post-election implosion would play to GB News’s strengths. “For me, July 5 onwards is a bigger day than July 4,” the day of the vote, he said. By then, the channel might have its star presenter, Nigel Farage, back. And what about Boris Johnson, who signed up to GB News almost a year ago, promising to appear “shortly”? Would he ever arrive? “One would hope so.”

Blimey is Johnson ill? It's not like him to not turn up when it's possible to trouser loads of money. :hmm:

Newsnight once again trawls the dreggs of GB News and the Sun for its interviewees.
We know Jo Coburn likes this - she does it all the time on Politics Live.

How much longer will Nick Watt be able to stomach the job that started as a promotion and has turned into a turkey?

I also don't think Starmer will be able to stop the smuggling gangs tbf.
Not directly, no.

The smuggling gangs are just an emergent property of a system that was deliberately designed to cut off all legal routes for refugees - it was inevitable, given that, that something else would come up to fill the void. It's basically "market forces" - that thing that conservative and neoliberal thought likes to prize above all other things, right up until it doesn't work for them.

Back
Top Bottom