Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking stupid reporting here:

'Isis' flag flown in east London
Flag similar to that of the jihadi group Islamic State flown outside housing estate on Poplar High Street
The-jihadi-flag-outside-t-001.jpg

NOT an ISIS flag. Nor is it the "There is no God but..." slogan, though it does contain the word "Allah". Can't they read? :mad:

An ISIS flag (long version):

Islamic-Caliphate-Flag.jpg

Yeah, there is a thread about that one. I can believe Guardian journos being too lazy to find anyone who can read Arabic or who knows about stuff, but too lazy to Google I can't quite see.

Think that black flag in Poplar may also possibly have "la ilaha illa-llah" on it albeit in a different font. That said I can't read Arabic apart from recognizing a few words so anyone please correct me.

Don't get why the ISIS flag has that really weird very basic font in the top two parts, strange.

Edit: This is why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Muhammad

Last edited:
interesting analysis on the whys and what nexts for Israel from Richard Seymour here http://www.leninology.co.uk/2014/08/a-self-inflicted-defeat-for-israel.html

Final paragraph without due context:

The most likely effect of this defeat is to intensify the siege mentality in Israel, and drive it further to the Right. Already, the right-wingers in the government have been complaining about Netanyahu's betrayals. The already very voluble calls to let the army off the leash, let it go in there and "exterminate", will become much hoarser. Intriguingly, in the course of the war, the IDF let it be known that it believed it could - if so instructed - reoccupy Gaza within a couple of weeks, and dismantle Hamas's political and military infrastructure within two years. The IDF chief, Benny Gantz, has already stated before the war that he thinks Israel has to "retake Gaza". It would be surprising if the activist Right and the reactionaries in the Knesset did not mount tremendous pressure in the coming weeks and months to embark on such a war.

This is not to say it will happen, or that it will happen any time soon anyway, but it is to say that the dynamics in Israeli society are such that it is being pushed in a direction that places it increasingly at a strategic tangent to what its sponsors and supporters want from it. And while Washington will continue to try to cultivate a 'moderate' Israeli leadership faction, they can only really work with the Israel they have got. The question is, at what point does Israel's behaviour become so counterproductive that it outweighs the strategic advantage it provides in terms of military control of the region? And is there a small chance that we will be approaching that point in this generation?

I watched this earlier today and would definitely recommend it. He pretty much nails the whole bloody mess in those 40-odd minutes.

He does, doesn't he, mind I had to grin at the "not,toobright" crack but overall a well delivered and accurate critique of the situation.

I think there is a chance that because the discussions have made no progress on the lifting of the blockade, Hamas will resume firing rockets towards Israel in the morning and Israel will immediately respond with shelling but will also seriously consider a full scale invasion of Gaza.

I think there is a chance that because the discussions have made no progress on the lifting of the blockade, Hamas will resume firing rockets towards Israel in the morning and Israel will immediately respond with shelling but will also seriously consider a full scale invasion of Gaza.

Nah Israel won't launch a full scale invasion. They can shell if they like but another ground invasion is out of the question, for now anyway. Obama's told Netanyahu to call it off and he did. That's why they withdrew. Those tunnels haven't been destroyed either, limited certainly but not totally out of action.

Nah Israel won't launch a full scale invasion. They can shell if they like but another ground invasion is out of the question, for now anyway. Obama's told Netanyahu to call it off and he did. That's why they withdrew. Those tunnels haven't been destroyed either, limited certainly but not totally out of action.

Israel agrees to 'ceasefire'
Hamas objects to any ceasefire which leaves them as virtually under the rule of an occupying power, and starts firing off rockets.
Israel tolerates this for a day or two ( even. A week or so) then massively retaliates
West blames HAMAS for resurrecting hostilities and loses interest in the conflict

Returns to covering the latest scandal involving premier league footballers

And bang on 8am, Israel resume the shelling! What the fuck is wrong with these cunts??!!
Where did you see that? I haven't seen any reports, including from reporters within Gaza that have mentioned Israel firing. Most have mentioned outgoing rockets though.

There is no way after what the people of gaza have being through that a return to the status quo, of a brutal siege, of sporadic access to water, electricity , in on going drone attacks, there is no way a return to that is acceptable, allowing the conflict to be reported as some way resolved. The Palestinian resistance have taken what steps it deems necessary, and we should continue to support the resistance through marches and BDS actions.

There is no way after what the people of gaza have being through that a return to the status quo, of a brutal siege, of sporadic access to water, electricity , in on going drone attacks, there is no way a return to that is acceptable, allowing the conflict to be reported as some way resolved. The Palestinian resistance have taken what steps it deems necessary, and we should continue to support the resistance through marches and BDS actions.

You reckon firing rockets will lift the seige?

This is just going to go round and round in depressing circles.

Where did you see that? I haven't seen any reports, including from reporters within Gaza that have mentioned Israel firing. Most have mentioned outgoing rockets though.

Two eye witness tweets from eastern Gaza - only two explosions. The media did seem more interested in (apparent Jihadi rocket fire, not HAMAS) than owt else which isn't surprising really.

Two eye witness tweets from eastern Gaza - only two explosions. The media did seem more interested in (apparent Jihadi rocket fire, not HAMAS) than owt else which isn't surprising really.
OK, got a link to it? I am interested and don't trust any media just trying to make my own opinion.

Regardless -

"@GazaYBO: Artillary shelling on Alzaytoon neighborhood."

"@IsraElaila: An air strike on Johr Aldeek , Southern #Gaza , and one injured reported."

"@OccPalGaza: Air strikes in many areas across Gaza now. Reports of injuries (one a child) #Gaza 1120am"

"@OccPalGaza: Maghazi, Bureij and Jabalia refugee camps have all been targeted in recent Israeli air strikes. #Gaza 1126am"

"@Hassan_Abaza1: North west cost is being hit hard by israeli warships now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom