Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gavin Rose leaves Dulwich Hamlet and new interim coach appointed

• Total voters
I think this is the right move from the club. It's felt for quite a while that Gavin has taken the club as far as he can, and that some different ideas were needed.

That said, I can't help but view the end of this era with sadness. I started supporting Hamlet when I moved to the area in 2012/2013, so I've only ever known the club with him at the helm. Despite things starting to go a bit stale over the last couple of years, I think he'll be remembered very fondly in years to come as the manager who brought us two promotions, some really entertaining football and some terrific signings who were great to watch (in particular Erhun and Carew, who I always thought were worth the entry price alone). In particular I think the last couple of seasons in the Isthmian (when we had a brilliant FA Trophy run, some exciting play-off matches and ultimately that amazing promotion afternoon at Imperial Fields) gave me some of the most fun and entertaining years of watching football that I've ever experienced. I suspect Gavin himself will go on to benefit from this decision and find a new lease of life with a fresh challenge somewhere else.

I really hope the next appointment is a forward-thinking one - not someone who has been going round and round the managerial conveyor belt, but someone with some hunger, some fresh ideas, and who can attract and motivate players.

Edited to add: whatever happened to Gavin's testimonial?

Last edited:
Only our true lord and saviour Ben Clasper is perfect enough to take over as manager. After all he is never made mistakes. And the driving away of long term fans is a coincidence and not his fault.
I have an issue with this statement and I'd like to set the record straight. The increase in crowds was most likely due to publicity following our promotions and the community work that Mishi and others did. Some don't like the bigger crowds and have chosen to stop attending but you can't blame that on Ben Clasper. More likely, the Isthmian promotion chasing years were very exciting and you may have lost interest now we have achieved our objective. The destination not being as thrilling as the journey.

If you take a dislike to someone you shouldn't just make up a load of negative stuff to try to discredit them. It's a form of terrorism that this forum allows.

From memory Ben Clasper got invloved when Dulwich were in dispute with the property developer and we were playing our home games at Tooting. The club was in serious financial trouble and he and others managed to resolve the dispute and the new ground development planning permission. So credit where credit is due.
The club needs someone with business skills to steer it into the future. If a lifelong Dulwich supporter like Liam thinks Ben Clasper is the right man for job then that is good enough for me.

This club has history. Lets get some perspective, real Dulwich Hamlet supporters don't care who the chairman, manager or players are. They just want a future for the club. Politics and religion are irrelevant.

If you didn't like the manager or the chairman or the crowds of new fans. You havent been to game for a couple of years and don't intend to come to another match. Why are you still reading and commenting on this forum?

Last edited:
I have an issue with this statement. The increase in crowds was most likely due to publicity following our promotions and the community work that Mishi and others did. Some don't like the bigger crowds and have chosen to stop attending but you can blame that on Ben Clasper. More likely the Isthmian promotion chasing years were very exciting and you may have lost interest now we have achieved our objective. The destination not being as thrilling as the journey.

If you take a dislike to someone you shouldn't just make up a load of negative stuff to try to discredit them. It's a form of terrorism that this forum enables.
From memory Ben Clasper got invloved when Dulwich were in dispute with the property developer and we were playing our home games at Tooting. The club was in serious financial trouble and he and others managed to resolve the dispute and the new ground development planning permission. So credit where credit is due.
The club needs someone with business skills to steer it into the future. If a lifelong Dulwich supporter like Liam thinks Ben Clasper is doing a good job then that is good enough for me.

Real Dulwich Hamlet supporters don't care who the chairman, manager or players are. They just want a future for the club. Politics and religion are irrelevant.

Keep going then, don't listen to their concerns (theirs, not mine). Enjoy the great times still to come under his leadership (things will get worse).

I have an issue with this statement. The increase in crowds was most likely due to publicity following our promotions and the community work that Mishi and others did. Some don't like the bigger crowds and have chosen to stop attending but you can't blame that on Ben Clasper. More likely, the Isthmian promotion chasing years were very exciting and you may have lost interest now we have achieved our objective. The destination not being as thrilling as the journey.

If you take a dislike to someone you shouldn't just make up a load of negative stuff to try to discredit them. It's a form of terrorism that this forum allows.

The club needs someone with business skills to steer it into the future. If a lifelong Dulwich supporter like Liam thinks Ben Clasper is the right man for job then that is good enough for me.

Real Dulwich Hamlet supporters don't care who the chairman, manager or players are. They just want a future for the club. Politics and religion are irrelevant.

If you didn't like the manager or the chairman or the crowds of new fans. You havent been to game for a couple of years and don't intend to come to another match, why are you still reading and commenting on this forum?

I broadly agree with most of what you've said and I realise it wasn't aimed at me but on a personal point, it's not the increased crowds that have stopped me attending as many games. It's much more the attitudes and conduct of some of those newer fans. Though in this bright new future that we have, it's down to the individual how they experience the club. I cannot possibly expect everything to change just to satisfy me and a few others.

I broadly agree with most of what you've said and I realise it wasn't aimed at me but on a personal point, it's not the increased crowds that have stopped me attending as many games. It's much more the attitudes and conduct of some of those newer fans. Though in this bright new future that we have, it's down to the individual how they experience the club. I cannot possibly expect everything to change just to satisfy me and a few others.

I also haven’t left because of the larger crowds. But Clasper has been in charge of the club for how long. And what has he done to engage with fan concerns. Nothing. Because he replaced us with his mates and his people.

Well I’m sure it’s all going very well and there are no issues.

GK coach has left. Might well suggest a new face has been identified and has his own team.

The old school dinosaur side of me would be most joyful if we replaced him with Les Cleeveley.

(I know that won't happen before anyone feels like patronising me and pointing out the futility of such hopes)

B.I.G
What ARE you in about?! Put a sock in it. And if (as you say) Ben does have 3000+ ‘mates and his people’ he is obviously far more popular than your warped opinions.

Warped that the club should look to the opinions of people that have supported the club for over 40 years. Though tbf the club are aware that loads of daytrippers aren't good for the club long term.

Now all the Gavin songs are gone, what's left in your songbook? Let me know all the great songs that you've heard sung that are new.

I also haven’t left because of the larger crowds. But Clasper has been in charge of the club for how long. And what has he done to engage with fan concerns. Nothing. Because he replaced us with his mates and his people.

Well I’m sure it’s all going very well and there are no issues.
I don't think this is at all fair. The objective truth is that Ben has done many meetings with Q&A. Whether you agree with the answers is for you to decide, but what you said is factually incorrect.

I don't think this is at all fair. The objective truth is that Ben has done many meetings with Q&A. Whether you agree with the answers is for you to decide, but what you said is factually incorrect.

The Q&As. Self-selecting groups. The comments you yourself have heard and read at the games, on the forum, amongst your friends. You have heard these views represented at the Q&As?

Let alone the fact the Q&As aren’t opportunities to listen to fans but instead to answer their questions often with PR fluff.

If he wants to hollow out the club he is going about it the right way. He doesn’t have to listen to me. Enough people like you to agree with him.

Ben Clasper attends every game home and away. At home games he usually comes out of the club officials seating and walks around the ground talking to as many people as possible. He seeks their feedback on the match day experience, crowd size etc. You can talk to him about anything you like. You are more likely to get some time with him at away games. He runs supporters meetings and an AGM. He also provides information via the website and email. Better than any chairman the club has had before. So what more can he reasonably be expected to do?

You never came to any of the meetings I was at so how would you know? You could have asked questions and raised issues. Just like everyone else that bothered to go .... but you didn't.

Specifically what factual evidence can you provide that supports your assertion that long term fans have stopped coming to games because of the chairman and not for other reasons?

Last edited:
Ben Clasper attends every game home and away. At home games he usually comes out of the club officials seating and walks around the ground talking to as many people as possible. He seeks their feedback on the match day experience, crowd size etc. You can talk to him about anything you like. You are more likely to get some time with him at away games. He runs supporters meeting and an AGM. He also provides information via the website and email. Better than any chairman the club has had before. So what more can he reasonably be expected to do?

Specifically what factual evidence can you provide that supports your assertion that supporters have stopped coming to games because of the chairman?

Literally people have said on this forum that they don’t like going to the club anymore. Who is responsible for the club? The owner.

I can’t understand why people seek answers from me. The club is fine and everything at the club is good according to the Clasper apologists. Great. Nothing needs changing then.

Literally people have said on this forum that they don’t like going to the club anymore. Who is responsible for the club? The owner.
No people on this forum have said the crowds are too large. They haven't mentioned anything else.

So you can't give any specifics. I thought not!

I do remember years ago when attendances were low and the club was on the verge of bankruptcy all the time. Allegedly the chairman was on the take, the bar staff were thieving the takings and some of fans used to roll around on the floor drunk during away games. So it's much worse now!

Last edited:

I can’t understand why people seek answers from me. The club is fine and everything at the club is good according to the Clasper apologists. Great. Nothing needs changing then.
I'm not a big fan of champion hill when it's too busy so I've stopped going along to most Saturday home games. Can't move around, queues are too long, and too many people there don't have a clue about the culture and history of the club so the rabble is diluted to almost nothing.

However, I've no idea how you think the ownership of the club is responsible for that. As others have said, it is partly the community work done by Mishi & others, partly word of mouth, and partly the exciting final years in this Isthmian that have meant the club grew too big too quickly in the last couple years. Do I think games would be more enjoyable if there were a 2k cap on attendances and fans were only let in if they were able to answer questions on the door about the first XI who played in the playoff final defeat at East Thurrock? Yes. Do I think that should happen? Absolutely not.

I'm not sure what powers you think Ben has to make home games more enjoyable.

Allegedly the chairman was on the take, the bar staff were thieving the takings and some of fans used to roll around on the floor drunk during away games. So it's much worse now!
To be fair, we weren't rolling around drunk at every away game. Much of the Rabble could be a bit of a pain on the "nutty turn out" days I suspect. And at Sutton. Myself included on occasions sadly. Most away games saw fairly moderate alcohol consumption at least until we had left the ground.

If people don’t like going to home games anymore why not try to get coach to away games I understand lots of work to be done to organise this but the people who moan about it should meet up and sort it out I personally enjoy home and away games but away games are better for Atmosphere

I'm not a big fan of champion hill when it's too busy so I've stopped going along to most Saturday home games. Can't move around, queues are too long, and too many people there don't have a clue about the culture and history of the club so the rabble is diluted to almost nothing.

However, I've no idea how you think the ownership of the club is responsible for that. As others have said, it is partly the community work done by Mishi & others, partly word of mouth, and partly the exciting final years in this Isthmian that have meant the club grew too big too quickly in the last couple years. Do I think games would be more enjoyable if there were a 2k cap on attendances and fans were only let in if they were able to answer questions on the door about the first XI who played in the playoff final defeat at East Thurrock? Yes. Do I think that should happen? Absolutely not.

I'm not sure what powers you think Ben has to make home games more enjoyable.

He controls the club right?

I’m supposed to believe in this story that we randomly decided to allow Gav to sign a whole squad of players and then based on nothing but perfomances decided that was it?

As the owner, he has driven many fans away by his actions. Its normal for the owner to stand behind the goal and play at being a fan is it?

If people don’t like going to home games anymore why not try to get coach to away games I understand lots of work to be done to organise this but the people who moan about it should meet up and sort it out I personally enjoy home and away games but away games are better for Atmosphere

The coach that the club could have paid for but chose not to? That coach?

Tell me more Don’t understand

The owner could have provided free coaches to every away game if they wanted to, from the club turnover.

You know instead of giving it to Gavin to waste or whatever else they decided were more important than the fans. Let the elderly and disabled take the train!

Back
Top Bottom