Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

And in this evening's news...

Nice to know that the investigation is to be carried out by the utterly impartial City of London police. English justice is secure; I shall sleep safe in my bed tonight.

And in this evening's news...

Nice to know that the investigation is to be carried out by the utterly impartial City of London police. English justice is secure; I shall sleep safe in my bed tonight.

I'd laugh if it weren't so sad. Still, we can at least be sure that the Scientologists won't be found guilty of anything if the City police are running it.

Do you not see the difference between what actually happened and being "pelted with bottles", with the implicit suggestion that it impeded efforts? Must it just be 'yes' or 'no' to you, is it that simple? Is your world so black and white?

Oh, wait... Evenin' Officer.

Lets look at what the original police statement actually said (or this), shall we?

The Independent Police Complaints Commission was being notified last night. Scotland Yard said the alarm had been raised by a member of the public who spoke to a police officer on a cordon at the junction of Birchin Lane and Cornhill in the City.

He sent two medics through the cordon line and into nearby St Michael's Alley where they found a man who had stopped breathing. They called for ambulance support at about 7.30pm and moved him back behind the cordon where they gave him cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.

"The officers took the decision to move him as during this time a number of missiles – believed to be bottles – were being thrown at them", said a police statement. The ambulance service took the man to hospital where he died.

A London ambulance spokesman said: "Our staff immediately took over the treatment of the patient and made extensive efforts to resuscitate him both at the scene and on the way to hospital."

So no "hail", no "pelted with bottles" - just a statement that is not the heap of lies you think it is, but then of course you think it is something else entirely....

"The officers took the decision to move him as during this time a number of missiles – believed to be bottles – were being thrown at them"

Seriously!?!

"A number of" two plastic bottles. That missed. And the idiots were stopped by protesters. These fit, armoured men, they moved a critically ill man for that?

Sorry, your "The police LIED when they said bottles were thrown. Only some bottles were thrown" stance is confusing.

Maybe i am being thick here, it's fairly clear to me having been near the incident and after reading others observations. 1, maybe 2 plastic bottles were thrown, not capable of causing any harm to a human. All across the country tonight millions of plastic bottles will be thrown at music gigs. Personally i find it annoying especially when one is full of 'something' and it lands on me!

Typical concert in England

The point I was making is that that is the only picture in the public domain of him at the location
No it isn't, the picture of him walking is taken moments later.

(and they arent all riot police - notice the (possibly dog) cop on the right who appears to have his hands in his pockets and a flat cap on).
None of them are strictly speaking riot police, some are Level Two 'scuffle' police, some are FIT and some are dog handlers.

Seriously!?!

"A number of" two plastic bottles. That missed. And the idiots were stopped by protesters. These fit, armoured men, they moved a critically ill man for that?

Hurrah for the bold text! At least we now get you using the actual statement for criticism, rather than the one you got all het up about.

As for whether or not, or why, he was moved - there could be a number of reasons for it. Were you there?

Did the ambulance actually get stuck at police lines - as the collapse took place outside the cordon)?
The ambulances were held up by the BTP line which was by then at the junction of Cornhill and Bishopsgate, next to David Clulow opticians, as shown on 'davehighbury's
This wasn't the main cordon, which was still in place at Royal Exchange, this was the police chasing people away from the cordon, this particular group was eventually chased all the way across London Bridge around 8pm.

Its entirely possible that the officers have more paramedic training and experience than the dispatcher did
Isn't the public order medic course a whole two days, hardly 'paramedics'.

Isn't the public order medic course a whole two days, hardly 'paramedics'.

Plus several days ELS training that everyone does, and possibly more than that (given that the photo of Tomlinson being treated shows a Sgt treating him, who one imagines will have had the bit extra of ELS training that custody sgts get). Anyway, my point was not that they were paramedics, but rather that they might well have known more about CPR than the LAS operator did.

as an aside (and with no pictorial evidence), the police medics looked scarier than the riot cops almost, they're tooled and armoured up to the max.

Hurrah for the bold text! At least we now get you using the actual statement for criticism, rather than the one you got all het up about.

As for whether or not, or why, he was moved - there could be a number of reasons for it. Were you there?

I think the main issue is media manipulation here. The initial 'police source' PR statements seem calculated to mislead the public about what was happening and to portray the demonstrators in an extremely unfavourable light, while portraying the cops in a favourable one.

We've seen previous cases where a similar thing has happened, for example the initial perception created via media briefings that JC Menezes was 'wearing a bulky jacket with wires sticking out and behaving suspiciously' ...

We've also seen that the initial media impression has a tendency to stick in the minds of the general public, unless they make the effort to look, in which case the impression initially conveyed turns out to be misleading.

well, putting aside the media, the "official" investigation into his death was conducted with a great amount of haste imo, and came up with a very "easy" verdict in many ways.

Plus several days ELS training that everyone does, and possibly more than that (given that the photo of Tomlinson being treated shows a Sgt treating him, who one imagines will have had the bit extra of ELS training that custody sgts get). Anyway, my point was not that they were paramedics, but rather that they might well have known more about CPR than the LAS operator did.
apologies, I'd missed that earlier post about this.

my point wasn't that the LAS operator might have known more about CPR than the police medics, it was that the LAS operator was more than likely wanting to get advice from the police on the ground about the best route for the ambulance to take, as well as comfirming that they had made any police lines aware that the ambulance was coming through, and where to direct it.

Thinking about it now though, I suppose it's quite likely that the police control room had also requested an ambulance be sent seperately and was liasing with a different dispatcher, which may explain why the police didn't think it necessary to take the phone... I still think it'd have been good practice for them to have spoken with the dispatcher who was sending the ambulance in response to the call from the public, as it's quite possible that ambulance was dispatched before the other one, and could therefore have been at the scene faster.

apologies, I'd missed that earlier post about this.

my point wasn't that the LAS operator might have known more about CPR than the police medics, it was that the LAS operator was more than likely wanting to get advice from the police on the ground about the best route for the ambulance to take, as well as comfirming that they had made any police lines aware that the ambulance was coming through, and where to direct it.

Thinking about it now though, I suppose it's quite likely that the police control room had also requested an ambulance be sent seperately and was liasing with a different dispatcher, which may explain why the police didn't think it necessary to take the phone... I still think it'd have been good practice for them to have spoken with the dispatcher who was sending the ambulance in response to the call from the public, as it's quite possible that ambulance was dispatched before the other one, and could therefore have been at the scene faster.

Perhaps, though its worth pointing out that its very questionable whether any of the officers who went to Tomlinson's aid would have known about the best way into that area for the LAS. Usually the only people who would would be in the control room, in this case GT (or as Sky insisted upon calling it, Gold Control) who should have told LAS the best route and advised those units on cordons that an ambulance was on the way.

Perhaps, though its worth pointing out that its very questionable whether any of the officers who went to Tomlinson's aid would have known about the best way into that area for the LAS. Usually the only people who would would be in the control room, in this case GT (or as Sky insisted upon calling it, Gold Control) who should have told LAS the best route and advised those units on cordons that an ambulance was on the way.

Or the cops they could have used their own initiative and got the fuck out of the way of an emergency ambulance just like everybody else does ....

one was a baby that died of natural causes, the other was a man who all the evidence is pointing to having died as a direct result of police actions.

I hope you're not suggesting we should be campaigning to illiminate death entirely? I think that'd be a tad unrealistic a demand even for me and enumbers:rolleyes:

In his unedited post enumbers was speaking of having respect for the dead yet he clearly has none.

I think the main issue is media manipulation here. The initial 'police source' PR statements seem calculated to mislead the public about what was happening and to portray the demonstrators in an extremely unfavourable light, while portraying the cops in a favourable one.
In a time honoured tactic, and one that they seem to get away with time after time (see: Hillsborough, Mayday 'attempted murder' etc etc).

Why have you edited your original post?

Anyway I was going to ask you why you're taking the moral highground in this particular instance when you seem to hold human life in such low regard as is highlighted in this post

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=8804099&postcount=93

can not be arsed with this any more, a man is dead and you are saying bollocoks, i hold human life in such low regard read back your post on this topic fucking wanker:

In his unedited post enumbers was speaking of having respect for the dead yet he clearly has none.
I've had my fair share of disagreements with mr enumbers, so I'll not be defending every post he's written on here if that's ok with you.

fact is though that you're now acting as an apologist for the police in a situation where their brutality at a demonstration has led to the death of someone who by all accounts was just an innocent bystander who was just trying to get home. I think you need to seriously consider whether that's a position you're comfortable with holding.

fact is though that you're now acting as an apologist for the police in a situation where their brutality at a demonstration has led to the death of someone who by all accounts was just an innocent bystander who was just trying to get home. I think you need to seriously consider whether that's a position you're comfortable with holding.

I'm no big fan of the police,not by any means.But they are a necessary evil

I just can't help but think if it hadn't been for the likes of enumbers and a small following of knuckle scrapers who think it's there god given right to be violent in public that this bloke may well not be dead.

I think you,enumbers,should have a look at the bigger picture and what the consequences of your fellow knuckle scrapers actions have caused....You want anarchy:rolleyes:

I just can't help but think if it hadn't been for the likes of enumbers and a small following of knuckle scrapers who think it's there god given right to be violent in public that this bloke may well not be dead.

:

More like the fault of the knuckle scraping cops who think its their god given right to order people around and who then en-act that with intimidaiton and violence.

I cant imagine anyone was in fear of the protestors last week, thousands were in (justified) fear of the cops.

I find it hard to understand why agricola and badco would want to try so hard to create hypothetical scenarios in which the police story could be true.

Why do some folks just keep coming back to the hand that beats them, in some disgustingly pathetic deference of superior physical force?

After all, that's all the police actually have going for them.

Back
Top Bottom