Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

btw - this isn't new behavouir by the cops.

Their way they acted during the 80s was consideralby worse (miners strike, wapping and the beanfield bring the most notorious examples). Then I think the drubbing they got at the poll tax riot casued them to refrain from baton charging demonstrators so often.

Over the last 10 -15 years they've made far more use of kettles and cameras - whilst donning a lot more body armour.

However over the past year or so they definitely have got more 'aggro' - they're behavour at last summers climate camp was a lot more aggressive than the previous year.

I think last weeks policing was designed to 'send a message' - as they fear an upsurge in public anger due to recession, unemployment and grand larceny by the banks. Of ourse they have now added to the likely hood of more violent protests by their actions last week. The reason the poll tax riot was so fierce was that lots of people saw it as a opportunity for revenge on thatchers brutal goon squad.

It may be that the reaction to the death of mr tomlinson will deter the cops from getting more violent - but we shall see. This years climate camp and mayday will be interesting ...

Your right. Government is scared of the political unrest seen accross the rest of Europe and some very senior people are breifing the police to prepare for this violence and unrest.

This is why they think it's acceptable to put out press releases talking about a summer of violence etc. It allows them to justify the surpression of people unhappy with the current political system.

The effect of this trickles down to PC's on the street who think it's acceptable to use violence against protestors. After all these are dangerous criminals in a culture where protest is criminalised.

The police have been pulling exactly the same kind of shit at demos since I was a kid (I grew up in an activist house).
Yep, I can remember shit like this (and worse) happening back from the 1970s.
The difference is that we can have the videos up on youtube in a few days now. Exactly how clear does the footage have to be before a single policeman is prosecuted over any of this.
If we're trying to gauge "how clear" by past standards then we know it can hardly ever be clear enough.
ACAB - no exceptions.
I don't agree. I think that the institution and the culture of the institution promotes "bastardism" in some police officers, and the more weak-willed go along with it for an easy life, but some of them do occasionally stand up to be counted.

Against Police brutality- Saturday 11th April-

WHEN: This Sat the 11th of April...11am

WHERE: From Bethnal Green Police station to Bank

Over the last week across London there has been a series of demonstrations
and protests against the policies and programs implemented by the G20
leaders.

We are taking to the streets to express our compassion with the family of
Ian Tomlinson who tragically died during the 1 April protests at the Bank
of England. We are calling for an independent public inquiry into the
instances of police violence that occurred thoughout the week and to
establish the true circumstances of his death.

We wish to communicate our disgust and anger at the violent and brutal
policing of the G20 demonstrations.

The press once again created an atmosphere of fear and violence in the
lead up to the protests, preemptively justifying the police violence that
occurred. They also misreported and lied about the circumstances of the
tragedy. We recognise that for many communities the reality of police
violence is a daily occurrence. The demonisation of communities, like the
demonisation of protesters makes police violence seem normal.

As the crisis deepens and continues there will be increased resistance -
from factory occupations to demonstrations, strikes and people coming
together on the streets. We need to speak out now to defend our freedom to
protest, our communities and our dignity.

Police are taught in situations like this to push people who won't move(rather than arrest them). They do this with both hands, or if in riot gear, with their shield.
He was following his training.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about (again).
You're trained to "ward off" people who are confronting/facing you, not to shove people in the back.

As well as the actual assaults on Ian Tomlinson, its important to pursue the higher levels in all this [sorry if this has been said, haven't read the whole thread]. What was the overall plan on policing the G20 - were batons explicitly to be used to 'clear areas' or as a form of routine 'crowd management'? What role did the Home Office have? Did they set the tone in terms of more 'aggessive' policing? Alternatively, were the decisions just made in the Met? Anybody got any links?

The guy's fucking walking away from them! :mad:

Yep. Something that you do get taught re: "crowd control" is to not push someone who's facing away from you, because they're far more likely to lose their balance and get hurt and trampled.
How do I know? Police assistance/crowd control training in NI.

again not read whole thread but one thing i have heard over and over was that riot police were trying to hit peoples legs and knees .. possibly so media could not see .. this is something i have not heard / seen before

Stephen Moss, Guardian staff writer:

Stephen Moss is "barking mad" himself, wittering about how the police are there to serve people. How can such base ignorance result in a jounralistic carrer? (oops I think Ive answered my own question).

The police are there to serve the state. Period. Any piffle about "serving the people" is an optional extra.

Check out the comments and ratings of thos comments on the Daily Mail site here. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-man-minutes-died-face-criminal-charges.html

Probably organised by someone but very encouraging nonetheless.

Curious how they chose to show his hands in a position that look like he is giving a V-sign to the coppers and caption it as they do. Yet watching the video through his hands are moving vigourously and only stay in this position for a fraction of a second.

article-1168315-04588B89000005DC-665_468x286_popup.jpg

(42 seconds on original Guardian video)

Police are f*cked on this one....pushed in the back with hands in your pockets...post mortem will be interesting though wager it will suggest that this push was the cause of his death....must be able to identify the policeman from the video I saw...

Without wishing to disrail and I'll step away anyhow... not all coppers are w*nkers, some are, some are not....

If you prepared to label all coppers as bast*ards then by the same token such sweeping generalisation would label all protesters as violent idiots

Police are f*cked on this one....pushed in the back with hands in your pockets...post mortem will be interesting though wager it will suggest that this push was the cause of his death....must be able to identify the policeman from the video I saw...

Without wishing to disrail and I'll step away anyhow... not all coppers are w*nkers, some are, some are not....

If you prepared to label all coppers as bast*ards then by the same token such sweeping generalisation would label all protesters as violent idiots

Whilst i agree with you, that on an individual level, not ACAB. But you get them all together, and group mentality kicks in and they turn into violent thugs who just love to bash people round the head.

Id like to see the original of this photo too. His head *looks like* it could be bruised/grazed on the side facing the camera.

article-1168315-043A77C9000005DC-234_468x286.jpg

Id like to see the original of this photo too. His head *looks like* it could be bruised/grazed on the side facing the camera.

in the thread that got locked (as it was adding no more than this one) I think it wasfreespirit, posted a cropped closeup of ian when he was on the stretcher, and yes, it looks like the side of his head is bruised.

edit, I didn't realise you were talking about that picture. (didn't let he page load before pressing reply)

Check out the comments and ratings of thos comments on the Daily Mail site here. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-man-minutes-died-face-criminal-charges.html

Probably organised by someone but very encouraging nonetheless.
I made the point earlier on that i think many many people are very concerned and upset about seeing the police force carrying out such brutal behaviour as well as trying to deny involvement and smear the protestors. People aren't as stupid as sometimes is suspected and I hope that the groundswell of anger continues to grow and build, until a properly independent and impartial investigation is undertaken.

On a related point, very interesting (and quite damning) article from a former commissioner on the IPCC in today's Society:

the Independent Police Complaints Commission is out of touch, ineffective and takes the side of the police rather than the public, claims former member John Crawley

On a related point, very interesting (and quite damning) article from a former commissioner on the IPCC in today's Society:

the Independent Police Complaints Commission is out of touch, ineffective and takes the side of the police rather than the public, claims former member John Crawley

Of course they are, they're all ex-filth and if they upheld complaints they'd actually have to do some fucking work.

This was the lead story for the BBC lunchtime news. Momentum is building.

So far, the story is being told in terms of 'the push'. If any footage comes to light of the earlier attack on him - being clubbed on the floor, reportedly - then it will really take off. That would be very hard for the Met/Home Office to newsmanage

I made the point earlier on that i think many many people are very concerned and upset about seeing the police force carrying out such brutal behaviour as well as trying to deny involvement and smear the protestors. People aren't as stupid as sometimes is suspected and I hope that the groundswell of anger continues to grow and build, until a properly independent and impartial investigation is undertaken.

the IPCCs reaction suprised me .. they had shut down the case without even waiting for evidence to come in .. except from the police .. clearly i am nieve as i thought they were more independent .. did they used to be? they come out of this very badly

Back
Top Bottom