Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

i think unless there is some very quick action by the police over this death, people should take to the streets and protest because of 1) the misinformation put out by the police, 2) the total lack of investigation by police and 3) very probable destroying/ignoring of evidence that this happened by police.

who is organising one?
see the previous page on this thread, from Bethnal Green police station this Saturday at 11am. to Bank.

Just posting to say well done to everyone who was at these protests and who took photos and videos of what they saw. Without the photos and videos provided by members of the public, and taken in spite of the odious new legislation which calls into question the right to record the actions of the police, it seems likely that the assault(s?) on Tomlinson would have been swept under the carpet by the plod and the IPCC. There's clearly no point expecting the police to use CCTV footage to examine the legality of their own behaviour, as CCTV is a tool of the state and not a means to public safety as we're so often told.

Fair play to all the photographers, keep up the good work!

If that's so, the story they put out that protesters prevented them from helping him was doubly false.

(But it's not true; they can bend down).

i wasn't being entirely serious

but yes quite obviously the swathes of protesters surrounding them, 12 deep in some places, launching missiles etc etc must have been the reason they didn't try to help (callous hearts, callous hearts)

I had a look at the guardian pics (in the actual paper) and there practically no-one there. Unless theyre all just out of camera shot it looks like the area had just a handful of waifs and strays.

Unjustifiable.

I noticed on google streetview that there is a CCTV camera on the Cornhill Insurance building directly opposite, I wonder if it was functioning and able to offer anymore footage? (assuming that the images on streetview arent terribly out of date)

I went up there this morning to check out what cameras there might be. Yes there is one on that building, not sure who operates it as it looks different to the other ones around the city. There is another more official looking one on Threadneedle Street at the other end of Royal Exchange Buildings on a high pole. It was pointing the other way this morning but looked like it could be pointed in the right direction southwards down Royal Exchange Bldgs, if the operator at the time so wanted.

It might be worth looking through pictures of the area to see which way it was pointing at about 19:30 on 2 April, if anyone has any.

Just wondering what would happen on the march on Saturday if every single person has their face covered, just like the cop who who pushed Tomlinson over.

Yes, I have watched that as well.
There was something I was reading a while back about blows to the upper body and disturbance of heart rhythms, can't remember where I saw it but it someone is hit on the upper body IIRC it can disrupt the flow of blood to the heart and if a person has underlying heart problems I think it can cause a heart attack.

The force of that blow to Tomlinson looked to me to be really hard, it must have been to take big bloke like him off his feet.

This is true.

Strikes to the chest are often used in various martial arts for that very reason, while a strike directly over the heart can be used as a killing technique. It works on the same principle as striking the chest to perform heart resuscitation, but in reverse.

Late to this thread, been reading all of it, and clicking the variious links, all this afternoon.

I had not seen that Guardian video until now. :mad:

Watching that footage this lunchtime made me fucking sick and disgusted. There was no need for him to have been pushed over like that, he even had his hands in his pockets and it was unlikely that he could have put his hands out to protect himself as he had his back to the copper who did it.

I really hope someone is charged for this.

Totally agree, especially with the bolded bit :mad:

Spooky Frank said:
Just posting to say well done to everyone who was at these protests and who took photos and videos of what they saw. Without the photos and videos provided by members of the public, and taken in spite of the odious new legislation which calls into question the right to record the actions of the police, it seems likely that the assault(s?) on Tomlinson would have been swept under the carpet by the plod and the IPCC. There's clearly no point expecting the police to use CCTV footage to examine the legality of their own behaviour, as CCTV is a tool of the state and not a means to public safety as we're so often told.

Fair play to all the photographers, keep up the good work!

Absolutely. If the Police had their way, videos and pix of this kind would either not be allowed to be taken in the first place, or seized. we have digital and micro technology in phones and so forth to thank for this disgrace coming to light.

IMO there's been some excellent discussions throughout nearly all of this thread btw, I've learned a fuck of a lot about what happened, most of it both depressing and infuriating. Despite being many many miles away.

R.I.P. Ian Tomlinson ... :(

theres more evidence...
from krishna @ channel 4 news on twitter...

@krishgmnews flash : We have new ITN exclusive video of Ian Tomlinson - shows police clearly striking out at him with a baton

Can I score some advice please. Guy on another forum was arrested on the thursday, at the temperary memorial, where he's accused of writing on the floor. He's a little nervous and doesn't really know what to do/say.

Back
Top Bottom