Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

I disagree - the rest of those officers do not do what this one officer did - (indeed one of the dog officers appears to just poke him in the back with his finger) and I can emphatically assure you that you are not trained to push someone in the back who is walking away from you with their hands in their pockets, so hard that they fall face-first to the floor, and then walk off behind your mates.

No but you are left sitting in a van for hours being promised a ruck and then confronted by a bunch of hippies who don't actually want a ruck. The whole nature of this kind of policing is over adverserial*. There was probably so much testosterone pumping round that sorry little caveman's brain that he remembers Tomlinson taking a swing at him. This may be the first time you've seen this kind of thing happen but for those of us who've taken part in protests it's merely the first time we've seen it on film.

I don't believe for one moment that the situation with the Sri Lankans this morning couldn't have been better and more quickly resolved through negotiation.

well, what a surprise, the cops and the establishment are shown to have lied about the conduct of the police officers and their brutal behaviour on wednesday 1 april. and a man lies dead because of their complicity and their blatant disregard for the health and the safety of those people they purport to protect.

protect from who? protect from what? protect from baton wielding thugs with shields and body armour and who have no control and no come-back it appears. absolutely sickened by this but am also glad that their actions have been tracked so effectively and that there seems to be a head of steam building - however, i also have extreme concerns that we'll see something akin to the genoa farce second time around.

BBC site still not reporting it ...

I've had the strong impression over the last couple of weeks that the Beeb have been doing a lot of news management around the G20. Wonder how they'll play this?

Aye, you'd think any one of those cops, assuming they are the kind decent caring types that agricola implies they are, any one of them might have made a report, or possibly a complaint into an unprovoked assault on a member of the public by one of their team. I mean, that's what decent people would do, and there's 20 or more decent upstanding coppers there. I look forward to finding out that at least one of them, just one, made some sort of complaint about that. After all, that's what a decent person would do. I mean, I'm not a decent upstanding copper, just a public sector worker, and i'd have made a complaint if my colleague did that.

As I have said, I would be absolutely horrified and disgusted if they have not done that - the point is we dont know whether they have or not, because only the IPCC (and the City of London Police) do at this stage, and indeed the Guardian - beyond releasing it publically - appear not to have provided the IPCC with the dossier yet.

That said, the statement from NSY (on Sky a couple of minutes ago) that they have no comment to make about this footage except that they do not know whether it is a Met or City officer does not fill me with any kind of confidence right now, though again this is an IPCC managed investigation run by the City at the present (though if it is a City officer involved, whether its appropriate for them to do it now is probably doubtful) so perhaps the Met do not know the exact state of play.

Hopefully the IPCC will come out with some kind of statement soon to clarify matters.

BBC site still not reporting it ...

I've had the strong impression over the last couple of weeks that the Beeb have been doing a lot of news management around the G20. Wonder how they'll play this?

will indeed be interesting.

the Daily Mail have been reporting it for almost an hour now.

For the record the IPCC are a bunch of nose-in-the-trough-quango cunts who had an account with an executive car company that I used to work for. The fact that a high ranking official from their organisation was responsible for the single most expensive and unnecessary job that I ever allocated as a car controller doesn't give me a lot of faith in their ability to appreciate reality. Their working London office is on the 6th floor of 90 High Holborn as far as I know. I would have thought it was an appropriate place to demonstrate about this.

well, what a surprise, the cops and the establishment are shown to have lied about the conduct of the police officers and their brutal behaviour on wednesday 1 april. And a man lies dead because of their complicity and their blatant disregard for the health and the safety of those people they purport to protect.

Protect from who? Protect from what? Protect from baton wielding thugs with shields and body armour and who have no control and no come-back it appears. Absolutely sickened by this but am also glad that their actions have been tracked so effectively and that there seems to be a head of steam building - however, i also have extreme concerns that we'll see something akin to the genoa farce second time around.

murdering fucking scum

exactly, how clear can it be?

fuck me, imagine the protests that will kick off if the wanker pig ain't brought to justice? And imagine the police response to that, and the protester response to that!!

What I meant was whether or not they know who that officer is. I would hope that by now they do.

Just shown on SKY news, police pushing him, and he falls over. Helped to his feet by others. He was walking very slowly in front of about dozen police, they were obviously telling him to move, which he appears not to keen to do so, just walking in front of them with his hands in his pocket. That's when the policeman gives him a shove and he goes over.
He did not look to steady on his feet before he went over.

Not sure if the policeman has done anything wrong, he was not struck with a baton, put pushed by the policeman, and he went over very easily.

Just shown on SKY news, police pushing him, and he falls over. Helped to his feet by others. He was walking very slowly in front of about dozen police, they were obviously telling him to move, which he appears not to keen to do so, just walking in front of them with his hands in his pocket. That's when the policeman gives him a shove and he goes over.

Not sure if the policeman has done anything wrong, he was not struck with a baton, put pushed by the policeman, and he went over very easily.

He does baton him. Watch the footage at the Guardian.

Anyone familliar with the area shown in the video know if there is CCTV coverage there? Given that it's central London there can't be much chance this didn't get caught on camera. And if it did, why didn't the IPCC have the footage? Why weren't they the ones stating that Tomlinson had been attacked by police? What's the point of all these fucking cameras if nobody looks at the footage when someone dies in suspicious circumstances?

watch the slomo version, he was struck in the leg with a batton.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/07/video-g20-police-assault

he was not struck with a baton, put pushed by the policeman, and he went over very easily.

He was.

Once on the back of the leg and you see an officer to his left swing at him around the mid section before the camera moves away

Er, not done anything wrong? The policeman shoved a man walking away from him with his hands in his pockets, hard enough that he fell face first into the pavement :confused: Is that all right then?

As for him looking a bit unsteady, if I understand the witness interviews I quoted from the Guardian piece correctly, the video shows the second time the police knocked him to the ground.

The police have been pulling exactly the same kind of shit at demos since I was a kid (I grew up in an activist house). The difference is that we can have the videos up on youtube in a few days now. Exactly how clear does the footage have to be before a single policeman is prosecuted over any of this.

ACAB - no exceptions.

this is very true, whilst the video looks shocking, particularly because of the end result and especially if you havent seen that kind of thing before (or been on the end of it), to me it looks like stanadrd riot cop behaviour, ive seen far, far worse

Back
Top Bottom