Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

fuel/cost of living money from local council - has it been sequestered cos I get HB?

campanula

diminished responsibilty
I filled in my bank deets, 2-3 weeks ago - ostensibly to get a £150 fuel allowance. No sign of this and I wondered if my local council had simply nicked this because I get HB. Course, it could just be taking ages but have no idea how to check up...or how long it might take. I could seriously do with the £££ tbh as I am appallingly skint (both my last existing customers are selling up).

I filled in my bank deets, 2-3 weeks ago - ostensibly to get a £150 fuel allowance. No sign of this and I wondered if my local council had simply nicked this because I get HB. Course, it could just be taking ages but have no idea how to check up...or how long it might take. I could seriously do with the £££ tbh as I am appallingly skint (both my last existing customers are selling up).

They have till September and loads are waiting to do it till then. I haven't had anything yet either and I pay by direct debit.

Is this the £150.00 from the Council tax bill? Our Council deducted it from the bill, I just checked.

They're not supposed to do that without asking you if you want them to, because it would suck for people on council tax benefit or in exempt households.
Maybe different in Scotland I guess. But yeah, the whole thing seems to vary quite a bit depending on where you live.

Might be, but the .gov page about it doesn't say anything it being different in Scotland.
Vaguely think there was some kind of provision to have it deducted - but not sure what criteria applied to that. Might have been an opt-in thing - but it might just be my brain making it up.

Vaguely think there was some kind of provision to have it deducted - but not sure what criteria applied to that. Might have been an opt-in thing - but it might just be my brain making it up.

I just double-checked and I was wrong - it is different in Scotland and is applied to the council tax bill unless you're exempt (like a student household). But shit for people on council tax reduction :(

But in England, where Campanula lives, the council has to ask before applying it to the council tax bill.

Might be, but the .gov page about it doesn't say anything it being different in Scotland.
48Htqhb.jpg

Yeah, they told me I had to send in my bank details within 14 days or else it would be taken off my CT bill, so obviously, I sent in the details immediately. Had no response though so I think I am going to get on it on Monday and ask the revenue department. I don't mind if most of it goes to pay off the allotment bills - (about £130 cos I have 2).

I've not heard a fucking thing from Newham Council yet. If they deduct it from my Council Tax bill instead of paying the dosh into my bank account (and they will have to ask me for payment details, we aren't on DD and pay by a variety of methods month by month), I am going to be furious. It is not the same difference either way, I want that money in my bank account ASAP. If it goes into OH's bank account it will be a disaster, and the bill is in my name so it should be coming to me, right? (I am just about 3000x more sensible with money than he is, if it goes into the pit of his bank account we won't even hear it hit the bottom).

Last edited:
I've not heard a fucking thing from Newham Council yet. If they deduct it from my Council Tax bill instead of paying the dosh into my bank account (and they will have to ask me for payment details, we aren't on DD and pay by a variety of methods month by month), I am going to be furious. It is not the same difference either way, I want that money in my bank account ASAP. If it goes into OH's bank account it will be a disaster, and the bill is in my name so it should be coming to me, right? (I am just about 3000x more sensible with money than he is, if it goes into the pit of his bank account we won't even hear it hit the bottom).
From Newham council's website:
We will be sending letters or emails to the 51000 eligible households who do not pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit with instructions on how to apply. Not everyone will receive their letter or email immediately so please bear with us over the next few weeks from 27 June as the letters or emails are sent out.

The letter will have a code you can use to give details of where they should pay the money to. If your council tax bill is in your name only then the account you tell them to pay the £150 into will have to be in your name anyway, not your OH's.

Got mine from Brighton just over a week ago - gave them my bank details online last weekend, got an email on Monday to say they were processing it and the money went into my account on Friday. Hopefully yours will be as quick.

From Newham council's website:

The letter will have a code you can use to give details of where they should pay the money to. If your council tax bill is in your name only then the account you tell them to pay the £150 into will have to be in your name anyway, not your OH's.

Got mine from Brighton just over a week ago - gave them my bank details online last weekend, got an email on Monday to say they were processing it and the money went into my account on Friday. Hopefully yours will be as quick.

Thanks for the info - Newham have said they are sending letters out (a month ago nearly) but I haven't received one yet.

They have had the good manners to send me a council tax reminder and threat of legal action though, despite owing me £150, so that side of things is clearly working as usual.

Thanks for the info - Newham have said they are sending letters out (a month ago nearly) but I haven't received one yet.

They have had the good manners to send me a council tax reminder and threat of legal action though, despite owing me £150, so that side of things is clearly working as usual.

Got my letter this morning - phew! Now I wonder how long I have to wait to get my dosh...

Good point! (We pay our water bills separately in England)

You don't half.

When I was working, the office went over from Tax Credits Helpline to Debt Management.

We dealt with PAYE, VAT, SA, CT and Tax Credit Debt.

No single person can handle the intricacies of them all, so you were allocated two, I had TC and PAYE*.

With TC debt, one of the things you did was an income and expenditure assessment. The first time someone told me they were paying £70 a month for water, I nearly fell off my chair. I did come across the odd one that was higher than that. As you can see from the bill above, we pay £31.01.

*Even now, when an advert for Sage accounting software comes on TV my blood pressure rises. These fuckers gave us a lot of unnecessary work. The fucking dimwits software couldn't recognise five week months, and directed the payment into the following month. Our software was and and still is utter crap, so moving money from one month to another took about ten minutes. Short staffing meant that six months of payments could be in the wrong place before we contacted them.

You don't half.

When I was working, the office went over from Tax Credits Helpline to Debt Management.

We dealt with PAYE, VAT, SA, CT and Tax Credit Debt.

No single person can handle the intricacies of them all, so you were allocated two, I had TC and PAYE*.

With TC debt, one of the things you did was an income and expenditure assessment. The first time someone told me they were paying £70 a month for water, I nearly fell off my chair. I did come across the odd one that was higher than that. As you can see from the bill above, we pay £31.01.

*Even now, when an advert for Sage accounting software comes on TV my blood pressure rises. These fuckers gave us a lot of unnecessary work. The fucking dimwits software couldn't recognise five week months, and directed the payment into the following month. Our software was and and still is utter crap, so moving money from one month to another took about ten minutes. Short staffing meant that six months of payments could be in the wrong place before we contacted them.

Also a lot of issues due to software moving Pay Days forward or backward due to it falling on a non banking day and not being applied correctly, believe a separate FPS field introduced which provides the deemed / normal pay day

I havent had a rebate yet either. The fuckers are just sitting on the money earning interest probably. September seems like a while off!

I just double-checked and I was wrong - it is different in Scotland and is applied to the council tax bill unless you're exempt (like a student household). But shit for people on council tax reduction :(

But in England, where Campanula lives, the council has to ask before applying it to the council tax bill.
I think you can only choose how you receive it if you have already applied. The deadline has gone though, so anyone doing it now won’t be given the choice

I think you can only choose how you receive it if you have already applied. The deadline has gone though, so anyone doing it now won’t be given the choice

Depends which local authority you are with, I am in Newham and the letter says to claim within 6 weeks of the date of the letter (6 July - although it didn't fucking arrive for a few days after that date, they didn't send it first class) and gives a code to log in with to get payment to your bank if you wish - I have claimed already and got my payment, but certainly for Newham residents there is still another couple of weeks to put in a claim for payment into a bank account.

So nobody has a water meter in Scotland? Never knew it was on your CT bill.

We pay £20 a month for water, on a meter. I have friends who pay £60 for non-metered water.

I think businesses can be metered but not people. Water should be free everywhere (imo), fair enough paying something to the infrastructure and it does go to infrastructue here. You're being robbed for yet another thing :(

Back
Top Bottom