Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

old age pension - how do I get it?

I know it does :) - I certainly wasn’t earning above the Lower Earnings Limit then with my Saturday job in a garden centre. What I was referring to - for my situation at least - is outlined here

Ah, no, I had no idea that teenagers working full time and paying NI earned the same NI contributions as teenagers whose parents paid for everything. That's a bit shitty. If they were giving 16-18 year olds automatic NI contributions then the ones who worked shouldn't have had to pay NI.

35 is full house in terms of years…so if you started work at 20…12 years not counted…35 years gets you to age 67, so I’m guessing you have the chance be pretty close to the maximum. It is possible to make up contributions for the last (5?) years.
Having wasted ages on the phone recently, being sent from one agency to the other and back, I'm pretty certain it isn't worth (my) making up the years between early retirement at 60 and state pension age at 66 at £800 a year.
I had thought there was a way to pay back the contracted-out bit ...

Having wasted ages on the phone recently, being sent from one agency to the other and back, I'm pretty certain it isn't worth (my) making up the years between early retirement at 60 and state pension age at 66 at £800 a year.
I had thought there was a way to pay back the contracted-out bit ...
The contracting out thing complicates things. I was. I’m paying voluntary contributions at £12/mo, so the economics is different

Bloody useless pension service - I spent hours on the phone back and forth at the end of March and they made no sense.
Does this not suggest that by investing £800 x 2 = £1600, I will get £433.68 less 20 percent = £347 more per year - payback 4.6 years ?
And why two years ?
On the phone they said it was only "two years" because I stopped working more or less two years ago ...
I worked from 16 to 60 = 44 years' contributions - albeit several years contracted-out.
Perhaps a shame I left UNISON - I might have been able to get sensible pension advice.

You need to continue to contribute National Insurance to reach your forecast

Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2021
£176.81 a week

Forecast if you contribute another 2 years before 5 April 2026
£185.15 a week

£185.15 is the most you can get

Back
Top Bottom