Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fridge/freezer and washing machine advice please

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
I did a quick search and all the similar threads are quite old now.

We need to buy some white goods. Unfortunately there’s only Currys near us, they so often have stuff on display that isn’t actually available. We are, therefore, looking for alternative suppliers that are quick and reliable.

We take possession of our new home tomorrow, Friday, so need these things quickly.

Budget is flexible for the right items. F/F needs to be free standing, I want a water dispenser, not bothered about ice maker, 50:50 split, preferably white or stainless. The space doesn’t allow for a large American one, it’s a max of 89cm.

Washing machine space is standard width, we want variable spin speeds, wide range of temps and programs, preferably 9kg

Any advice gratefully received.

AO are very good, I wouldn't get anything small from them as their delivery charges can be quite high, but for heavy items/white goods the charges aren't out of proportion, and they are more reliable and helpful than Currys IME (who I have vowed never to order anything from again due to past issues).
When AO installed my washing machine earlier this year they did make a small fuckup but I phoned them and they sent someone back out to sort it out without any quibbling and their drivers/installers are really helpful.
I 100% would use AO again for heavy/white goods.

In terms of brands, I don't really have much option but to go for the budget end of the scale, BUT if I had a bigger budget, I would probably want to have a look at Miele - even when they discontinue an item they continue to make parts for it for some time afterwards, which means they are far more repairable than most other brands on top of having a good reputation for being reliable in the first place, which IMO is very much a step in the right direction. They are top end spendy though, so depends what you can afford.

Yet another vote for AO, we've had a washing machine and a dishwasher off them. Competitive prices and wide choices plus they brought them to the door and set it up for us including moving the fitted cupboard door off the old dishwasher to the new one.
Took the old ones and the packaging away as well

Another vote for ao from me.

Bosch washing machine. The one I've got fits your criteria.

My repair guy always advised Bosch cos not only are they good machines, they're easier to repair down the line.
make sure it's a posh Bosch and not the ones I fell for that have non-replaceable bearings..

John Lewis are good, but I don't know how long delivery might take, fairly quick when I've bought fridge freezer, washing machine and tv iirc.
I think you can order and arrange delivery date online. If not phone them to find out how long it would take.

It’s looking like AO is going to get the order given how much positivity I’m seeing here.

I’ve signed up. I might pay for the additional benefits because the £40 a year is less than we will pay in delivery when we order other things as the kitchen gets a make over next year.

John Lewis are good, but I don't know how long delivery might take, fairly quick when I've bought fridge freezer, washing machine and tv iirc.
I think you can order and arrange delivery date online. If not phone them to find out how long it would take.
There’s no branches near us now so we will probably not go that way.

There’s no branches near us now so we will probably not go that way.

You can view items and order online. They have also brought back the price match guarantee.

yes (don't know what their delivery areas are though) - i'm on second washing machine from them (the first one lasted 8 years but was a type where you can't just replace the bearings, and the cost of a repair would have been about the same as the cost of replacing the damn thing) - was all fairly painless, think it was fairly quick to arrive but can't remember the detail. they took the old one away (which sounds like it isn't a consideration) and connected it.

think at that time, john lewis included a longer guarantee as standard rather than charging extra for it.

currently with a bosch washing machine that must be a few years old now and no problems with it.

fridge freezer is beko and came (new) with the flat about 22 years ago, and i've had to change the light bulb in the fridge once. it's just a basic fridge / freezer without a water dispenser or anything like that.

Whenever I've done price comparisons between AO and JL, AO have always been cheaper.

Don't know about the extended guarantees cos I don't bother with them (local repair man is good and reasonable rates. I'd rather be giving the ££ to a local independent trader, if the need arises. That's rare and long time after the purchase for me).

Back
Top Bottom