Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

I should have had more courage last time, instead of dressing it up as belligerence but I don't really want to call people out. Though again mate, this

is piffle.
tripe. bollocks. nonsense. waffle. shit. wank. you should try to vary your words instead of keeping with piffle.

I should have had more courage last time, instead of dressing it up as belligerence but I don't really want to call people out. Though again mate, this

is piffle.

Well what is it you are trying to say then? Your occupation of the moral high ground is noted (I'll let you have it today) in regard to waffle and piffle and even I suspect japery.

But what did you mean by the Matyrdom reference?

the writers of said satirical magazine we're slain for reasons related (on the face of it) to it's publishing. Like spymaster said, is it freedom of expression or unnecessary and reckless provocation in an already contentious area. Who are those comic strips aimed at? We could certainly ask that question. Are they aimed at the normal Muslim folk that you or I know, who hold their beliefs as a personal thing and who shouldn't have to constantly distance themselves from the murderous intent of groups such as AQ and Isis. Or are they intentionally published as a F you to middle eastern based terror cells...... Either way they aren't to my taste.

the writers of said satirical magazine we're slain for reasons related (on the face of it) to it's publishing. Like spymaster said, is it freedom of expression or unnecessary and reckless provocation in an already contentious area. Who are those comic strips aimed at? We could certainly ask that question. Are they aimed at the normal Muslim folk that you or I know, who hold their beliefs as a personal thing and who shouldn't have to constantly distance themselves from the murderous intent of groups such as AQ and Isis. Or are they intentionally published as a F you to middle eastern based terror cells...... Either way they aren't to my taste.
Have a go at answering those questions yourself then coming up with a position based on those answers.

could be neither, could just be that religion or the mocking of religious practice and monotheistic faith is no longer taboo

edited to correct 'niether'

It doesn't have to be to your taste to be appalled by their murder. That's all there is to it.

I can't help but think that this is exactly what the Charlie Hebdo attackers wanted. {retaliation attacks against mosques etc}
definitely - i dont think the killings are really about the cartoons at all - the CH staff were a 'pertinent' and very soft target - seems like this is all about wider asymmetrical globalised warfare. If the cartoons were never published theyd have found another relevant target

definitely - i dont think the killings are really about the cartoons at all - the CH staff were a 'pertinent' and very soft target - seems like this is all about wider asymmetrical globalised warfare. If the cartoons were never published theyd have found another relevant target
Well yeah. But they killed the rich western men who were pointing and mocking, and pointing and mocking. Nothing can excuse the murders, but there was certain incitement.

another problem could be that what was a 2nd rate, mildly amusing mass media publication becomes synonymous with freedom of speech.

..not just about the cartoons maybe...Rushdie & the Danish cartoon furore across the ME surely show this isn't fake outrage...
What they show was that intra-elite competion amongst muslim leaders led to a planned and paid for whipping up of outrage across a few countries over these issues. Kenan Malik's book on Rushdie demonstrates this in great detail.

edit:you can get the gist of it from this excellent piece.

Their car has apparently been found abandoned in Aisne. (Picardy about 50 miles NE of Paris.)

What they show was that intra-elite competion amongst muslim leaders led to a planned and paid for whipping up of outrage across a few countries over these issues. Kenan Malik's book on Rushdie demonstrates this in great detail.

edit:you can get the gist of it from this.

The very first objections to the Satanic Verses were raised by Muslim clerics in South Africa - ones who had been paid off by the apartheid regime.

Well yeah. But they killed the rich western men who were pointing and mocking, and pointing and mocking. Nothing can excuse the murders, but there was certain incitement.
the list of targets to a murdering fundamentalist is a long one....as is the list of incitements

Today's Sun editorial calls for "Muslim communities everywhere to stop the monsters who commit acts of barbarism in Islam's name". It's not their fucking 'duty', 'they' don't have the responsibility for this, fuck off stirring shit.

Dividing people into groups who have more or less of a duty to condemn or stop this type of thing is utter bullshit, leads to the kind of finger-pointing assumptions that 'they' aren't doing enough, that there is collective responsibility for this. Boils my piss, this sort of thing.

Today's Sun editorial calls for "Muslim communities everywhere to stop the monsters who commit acts of barbarism in Islam's name". It's not their fucking 'duty', 'they' don't have the responsibility for this, fuck off stirring shit.

Dividing people into groups who have more or less of a duty to condemn or stop this type of thing is utter bullshit, leads to the kind of finger-pointing assumptions that 'they' aren't doing enough, that there is collective responsibility for this. Boils my piss, this sort of thing.

Problem is it also negates everyone else's resposibility to understand and confront the issues driving those doing these things.

It's not a house, it's a 'terrorist hideout' apparently. There are words/phrases we have to use for these sorts of things.

Back
Top Bottom