Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Freelancers during this crisis and the Self Employment Income Support Scheme

How much was your total government grant?

• £1-£99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £100-£199

• £200-£299

• £300-£499

• £500-£799

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £800-£999

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • £1,000-£2,499

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • £2,500-£4,999

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £5,000-£9,999

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Over ten grand - reeeeesult *champagne corks pop

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Ive been self employed for 12 years, never tried to keep profits deliberately low, still working through this, not sure I've suffered 'hardship', but I'm certainly claiming this freebie when they screw us with national insurance next time.
do you write music?

There's slightly more of a chance that directors of their own limited companies can claim under the Job Retention Scheme (CJRS).

Here's something I wrote elsewhere:

The guidance published by the government still does not clarify the position with respect to directors of their own limited companies however, in an interview with the CBI, Ben Kerry (Head of Labour Markets at HM Treasury and one of the authors of the CJRS) said that directors on the payroll can be furloughed and still undertake their statutory duties as directors.

Looking at a director’s duties they include being legally responsible for running the company and submitting information to Companies House on time including filing of Annual Accounts. There are specific duties concerning the interests of the company’s employees, the need to support business relationships with suppliers, customers and others, and the need to exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence. All these suggest that the day to day management of a company by a director could be construed to be part of their statutory duties rather than working and therefore they could be furloughed and still carry on with these aspects.

I am still waiting for the government or HMRC to confirm this interpretation.

Petition for freelance Ltd companies to get some help instead of nothing

Thing is that this fucks people using limited liabilities as personal services companies longer term, not just cos of IR35 but also the disparity between dividend and income rates for those outside IR35. Sunak has already said something about this, that those who benefit now will have to accept an equal share of tax burden or something like that. And tbf he's right on that. Careful what you wish for and all that

Some info from linkedin for those going through umbrellas.

UK freelancer support update. Link below. Key points:
• Every umbrella company you worked for before Feb. 29 can furlough you at 80% of the average wage they paid you. You should approach them now. Be insistent
• Confirmed that sole-employee company Directors may be able to furlough themselves. It's still limited to 80% of average salary (excluding dividends) in the year to 5 April. More details in my earlier post
• You can work for another company while furloughed (if your employer allows it). Directors can do zero profitable work for your business through each declared 3-week furlough. Training and volunteering are allowed for all
• Employees (eg umbrella) made redundant since February may be able to ask for support from former employer but this is not yet confirmed
As always check with an expert.

Self-Employment Income Support Scheme - pre-registration now live.

You can now pre-register for the above scheme, so you are ready to start your claim from 8am on 15th May.

Things you need:
1 - Unique Taxpayer Reference no.
2 - National Insurance no.
3 - Government Gateway user ID and password (if you don't have one, it gives you the option to set one up)
4 - Proof of ID, this can be a current driving licence or passport, otherwise your can use their 'multiple security questions' option.

You will then get a reminder e-mail when the scheme is live.

The link.

Just a quick point on the SEISS. If you use an accountant to handle your tax affairs, HMRC have excluded them from making a claim on your behalf *.

I'd suggest talking to them as they will be able to explain the process to you in more detail if you have any concerns.

If HMRC have an email address for you or a mobile number they may send you a message to invite you to check your eligibility. There are numerous scams circulating at the moment so, if in doubt, don't follow any links in any messages purported to be from HMRC. cupid_stunt 's link above is valid so maybe use that as a starting point.

If HMRC don't have a valid email address or mobile number you will receive a letter through the post but this might take a week or so to get to you.

* HMRC have said that it was impossible to set up the required systems to enable accountants to claim on their clients' behalf in the time frame. However, they were able to do it for the Job Retention Scheme so I don't think their argument holds water. Instead, I think the real rationale is to get all tax payers to set up their own government gateway ID so they can roll out Making Tax Digital for the Self-Employed more easily. It's also an attempt to deny taxpayers their right to professional representation.

HMRC have also said that any attempts by accountants to access the system by using their clients' Government Gateway ID credentials may be looked on as fraud.

C&P from email i received from accountant. after telling me last month as director of ltd company i can furlough myself and i should be entitled to something ....

Hi
I am sorry to report that our claims under the Corona virus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) for your Furlough from your company, currently falls outside of claims system announced in March.Our efforts to claim through the claims portal that opened on Monday have been rejected for those companies that operate an annual payroll scheme.Although you are included on a payroll on an annual basis, because this annual submission was made on dates between 31st March and 5th April 2020 these fall outside the CJRS claim terms.The legislation published by the Government indicates that only employees that appear on a payroll submission on or prior to 19th March 2020 would be included.Unless the Government make a further amendment to this scheme, I am sorry to say that no claim will be possible.

C&P from email i received from accountant. after telling me last month as director of ltd company i can furlough myself and i should be entitled to something ....

Hi
I am sorry to report that our claims under the Corona virus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) for your Furlough from your company, currently falls outside of claims system announced in March.Our efforts to claim through the claims portal that opened on Monday have been rejected for those companies that operate an annual payroll scheme.Although you are included on a payroll on an annual basis, because this annual submission was made on dates between 31st March and 5th April 2020 these fall outside the CJRS claim terms.The legislation published by the Government indicates that only employees that appear on a payroll submission on or prior to 19th March 2020 would be included.Unless the Government make a further amendment to this scheme, I am sorry to say that no claim will be possible.
The good news is I've been self-employed working for my own Ltd company since 2015 so I should definitely come under this, the bad news is that I am currently still working up until the end of June when the scheme supposedly ends, bit of a bummer since I have a feeling that more work is not going to be that easy to come by.

Some useful stuff here from MSE

2) Self-Employment Income Support now LIVE (Wed) - three key tips, incl if you're turned down. From today, those eligible for the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) can apply to get 80% of average profits up to £2,500/mth to cover March to May's income. For full info, including who's eligible and how the amounts are decided, see our Self-Employed Coronavirus Help, but the key info to know right now is...

- All invites to apply have been sent, but not necessarily received: Letters, texts or emails have been sent to eligible people with dates to apply between 13 and 18 May (though miss the date and you can still do it later). They mightn't have arrived though, especially the letters, or if you've not updated your contact details. If not, and you think you should have got one, use the Govt's SEISS eligibility checker to see if you're eligible, and get your appointment time.

- Govt eligibility checker says you're ineligible? Check details & try again: First check all details especially your UTR code and national insurance number - if they're put in wrong, it'll go wrong. Even if they're right, try again, as if you tried early last week, some people's files weren't uploaded and so they were incorrectly told 'no'. If that doesn't work, and you filed your 2018/19 tax return very late, try again this evening (WED), as the final data upload was due last night (Tue), but give it a bit of time to be safe.

- Feel wrongly rejected? In most cases you're not eligible: Many people are sadly being surprised by ineligibility. The two big reasons are: 1) self-employment isn't 50%+ of earnings, as you've not counted all other earnings from pensions, savings, employment and property etc, 2) you stopped self-employment or changed for a period. So the first thing to do if you're ineligible is to go through the SEISS eligibility info in detail to check.

- Still feel wrongly rejected? You can review: If you're still convinced you're eligible, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed online or by phone - though things are only likely to change in a smattering of cases. If you're still unhappy after that, you can escalate it all the way up to an HMRC adjudicator. Full details in how to challenge an incorrect SEISS decision .

PMQs - Ed Davey asked Johnson if the government would be extending support for the self-employed, inline with the furlough scheme, and the twat just responded by saying they are paying 3-months for the self-employed, which we knew anyway, and just ignored the actual question. :mad:

They've reached a critical date where employees are concerned, If a company makes more than 100 people redundant, there is a process to go through which takes 45 days so if a company wanted to make redundancies for the end of June (when the furlough cash would have run out) and thus save paying the people they make redundant out of their own pocket, then they would have to start this process next Monday at the latest. There is no way come Monday that most companies are going to have a scoobies about how things are going to pan out. I can't imagine the Govt is overly keen (just as things are starting to creak back into life) to have 100,000's of redundancies announced on Monday especially if it turns out that just waiting a couple of months could have saved many of them.
Extending the scheme buys them until middle of September and they are presumably hoping that a) a lot of people are back at work and thus not on the scheme, b) some employers (I doubt all) are picking up part of the cost of the furlough scheme, c) any redundancies are at least spread out and thus less in the public eye and d) They will have at least more of a clue where all this is going.
Small companies making a few redundant can do it quicker but they are probably hoping that a) the greater flexibility will cause employers to hang on a bit longer or at least b) not be so obvious about it. The same thinking probably applies to the self-employed, any that don't make it will at least die quietly in the corner without too much fuss.
Wouldn't surprise me if the scheme got extended again if come end of August there is still not enough signs of life getting back to 'normal'

So, pretty much all work cancelled since March.
Got onto UC 1st payment last week tat's the rent covered as some invoices payment came in late.
SEISS applioed for just now, £20 above my calculated 3 year average but £60 under the 2018-19 year which I thought they might use, easy peasy, no sign of a creaking system as I heard about yesterday, and for the late night owls: your claim date is a calendar date, starts at 1s past midnight.
I am guessing the UC will use the one off 3 month payment on a cash accounting basis though rather than smoothing it so I probably won't get anything from them on my next due date.

Has anyone applied for this yet?

I just checked and I can apply from tomorrow. Is it an arduous process or a 10 minute job?

It's being discussed on the freelancers thread, maybe quote the post below & ask, as they had an earlier date to apply & has done already -

Back
Top Bottom