Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Forthcoming Wakefield by-election after Imran Amhad Kan found guilty

I am was trying to think of any independent MPs elected in England in the last 30 years, I could only think of Martin Bell in Tatton, because of the Neil Hamilton sleaze allegations, and both Labour & LibDems not standing. But, checking wiki, there was also Richard Taylor standing as 'Independent Kidderminster Hospital and Health Concern', and that's it.

Independents never really do well under the first pass the post system.

Whilst true that examples of independents winning are thin on the ground, local parties are often suffering the effects for years after. If you begin a campaign with the letter droppers and door knockers resigning en masse, you're not looking at a united front.

Whilst true that examples of independents winning are thin on the ground, local parties are often suffering the effects for years after. If you begin a campaign with the letter droppers and door knockers resigning en masse, you're not looking at a united front.
This is certainly true, I've no argument against it being really damaging to local party morale etc - and in a tight race it might be enough to tip the balance to the Tories winning. But that's a long way from an independent labour candidate actually winning - especially at a moment when national politics are so torrid.

This is certainly true, I've no argument against it being really damaging to local party morale etc - and in a tight race it might be enough to tip the balance to the Tories winning. But that's a long way from an independent labour candidate actually winning - especially at a moment when national politics are so torrid.

Yeah definitely. I think a better comparison is probably the Tinge group (or whatever they actually ended up calling themselves) and all the feverish Guardian-led speculation about new centrist parties etc when Corbyn was leader. It was obvious they were going to get crushed which they duly did, but it cuts both ways doesn't it.

Yeah definitely. I think a better comparison is probably the Tinge group (or whatever they actually ended up calling themselves) and all the feverish Guardian-led speculation about new centrist parties etc when Corbyn was leader. It was obvious they were going to get crushed which they duly did, but it cuts both ways doesn't it.
Which is why the right went full scorched-earth to take control back, and are now doing everything in their power - including imposing candidates on local parties - to make sure the left never have a significant role in leading the party again.

I'm not sure what the answer is - it looks to me like the left is comprehensively fucked electorally, in Labour or out, for the forseeable.

er, the imposition of an unwanted central candidate on locals versus a popular candidate with a high profile locally never ends well for the central party. That's the whole point.
I'm guessing here, but I would think a disgruntled independent running in the way you mention is more likely to undermine the imposed candidate so that another party's candidate sneaks through, rather than actually winning themselves.

But even then I bet it doesn't actually happen that often.

This. I think Labour will win, but the selection shite is a gift to the Tories. Bad press for Labour, sniping and comments relayed to the media from local activists, something the Tories can put in their leaflets. How bad it is probably depends on how far the old Exec want to push it. Legal challenges? Risking starmer suspending them? I doubt that will happen, but it's a story that dominates the first part of the campaign, at least. Even with that div starmer in power, this could have been a loud, confident, Labour regains the red wall campaign. Instead they'll be on the backfoot.

This. I think Labour will win, but the selection shite is a gift to the Tories. Bad press for Labour, sniping and comments relayed to the media from local activists, something the Tories can put in their leaflets. How bad it is probably depends on how far the old Exec want to push it. Legal challenges? Risking starmer suspending them? I doubt that will happen, but it's a story that dominates the first part of the campaign, at least. Even with that div starmer in power, this could have been a loud, confident, Labour regains the red wall campaign. Instead they'll be on the backfoot.
They've clearly decided visibly disciplining the left in the party is a vote winner overall. The grown ups are back in charge etc.

Without (obviously) agreeing with that strategy, even from their point of view, there are places and times to do it. Playing it out as a central v local battle in a by election seems particularly foolish.
I'm not sure - how else do you demonstrate to the electorate that there's new management in charge except through things like this? It's likely they'll take Wakefield back either way, but if they can do that and crush the left at the same time, it's probably worth the risk of not doing (from their POV)

Must be so difficult for him that the two byelections have been scheduled for the same date. Can only pick one for the grift run.

Must be so difficult for him that the two byelections have been scheduled for the same date. Can only pick one for the grift run.

Galloway: hold my beer

Section 22 of the Electoral Administration Act forbids it

22 Candidate not to stand in more than one constituency

In Schedule 1 to the 1983 Act (parliamentary elections rules), in rule 8(3)
(candidate’s consent to nomination), after paragraph (b) insert—

“(c) shall state that he is not a candidate at an election for any otherc onstituency the poll for which is to be held on the same day as that for the election to which the consent relates,”.

Statement of Persons Nominated

Ahmed, Nadeem (The Conservative Party)
Akbar, Akef (Independent)
Bickerdike, Paul (Christian Peoples Alliance)
Dodgson, Mick (Freedom Alliance, Real People, Real Alternative)
Earl'Eaton, Sir Archibald Stanton (The Official Monster Raving Loony Party)
Fransen, Jayda (Independent)
Gaskell, Jordan James (UK Independence)
Herdson, David John Rowntree (Yorkshire Party)
Hirst, Therese (English Democrats Putting England First)
Jones, Christopher (Northern Independence Party Nationalise Energy Companies)
Lightwood, Simon Robert (Labour Party)
Needle, Jamie Luke (Liberal Democrats)
Routh, Ashley Theo Blue (Green Party)
Simon, Ashlea (Britain First - No to Immigration)
Walsh, Chris (ReformUK)

Back
Top Bottom