Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

A twitter account that exists to fundraise for an ill child abusing people is just so ridiculous, so Blue Jam it adds to my suspicions this is all on some level a deliberate performative act.

Not really. They're professional teams competing in the biggest league in the world, and both enjoy a turnover in the many millions. And besides, we're talking about non league football, and that kind of big-cash-buys-results spending is exactly what many fans want to get away from.

The disparity of wealth and resources between Billericay and the other teams in the same league is obscenely vast. Your weekly wage bill is probably close to what some teams have to make do with for an entire season.

I wonder what you make of the Scottish Premiership? That also seems obscenely unbalanced. Personally I wouldn't like to be in a league like that even if my team won it every season. The good news about BTFC is that they can rise to a level where they are surrounded by similar clubs in financial terms, thus levelling the playing field. Celtic can't do that.

The Premier League comparison falls down because the wage bill gap in the Isthmian Prem is much wider, but also because the PL is professional teams versus professional teams, whereas Billericay (whilst not yet officially full-time) are apparently paying a whole squad over twice what I've ever earned but playing teams of proper part-timers.

Would you like to see a 'maximum wage bill' rule implemented in our league?

But that's the (probably) wealthiest team against the (probably) least wealthiest team in PL terms. Chelsea are competing with at least three or four teams with comparable finances, and another three or four teams who aren't a million miles away. That's more than a third of the PL.

The comparative reality of the Isthmian Premier League this year (and I'm not suggesting I know the budgets/finances of any teams) is one Chelsea, maybe four to five Stokes, around ten Bournemouths, and the remainder being Huddersfields.

Which is a long way round to saying the League is never an even playing field, but this year has created a single disparity that's unlike pretty much any other.

In some opinions we're the second favourites, but we've let two players move on to get better deals from last years squad, we've let a promising trialist move on because the wage budget has shrunk, and we've brought in a couple of players on short term arrangements because we can't offer them anything longer. There is no comparison.

Look at the SPL for an example of this. I totally get what you're saying and basically agree. However, as I said before there will never be a proper 'level playing field.' Your own club will probably have a massive financial advantage over a club like Met Police with their 50 fans. At least look on the bright side and consider that (all being well) BTFC will no longer be a problem in the Isthmian League in a few years.

I wonder what you make of the Scottish Premiership?
I've no interest and I'm not sure why you're bringing it up because any comparison would still fall far short of big spending Billericay's sudden and ludicrously over-financed position in a league where most clubs struggle just to keep afloat.

Your own club will probably have a massive financial advantage over a club like Met Police with their 50 fans. At least look on the bright side and consider that (all being well) BTFC will no longer be a problem in the Isthmian League in a few years.
But that 'advantage' came about because Dulwich reached out to the community in many ways and the crowds grew organically, like they should. That's a lot different to having a millionaire parachute in, endlessly boast about he's going to buy success and spend so much money that it skews the entire league in the favour of the club he's suddenly declared his love for.

But these new fans coming in expecting success will fade away just as quickly when the money dries up.

The sight of Billericay fans leaving in swarms with 15 mins to go against Hamlet at your place last season should worry the fuck out of you.

But that 'advantage' came about because Dulwich reached out to the community in many ways and the crowds grew organically, like they should. That's a lot different to having a millionaire parachute in, endlessly boast about he's going to buy success and spend so much money that it skews the entire league in the favour of the club he's suddenly declared his love for.

But these new fans coming in expecting success will fade away just as quickly when the money dries up.

The sight of Billericay fans leaving in swarms with 15 mins to go against Hamlet at your place last season should worry the fuck out of you.

What do you suggest we do about it?

What do you suggest we do about it?
It's not for me to suggest what fans of another club should do, but enthusiastically lapping it all up without criticism and making excuses for Tamplin's excessive behaviour without sparing a second's thought what will happen if it all goes tits up doesn't seem the greatest way to prepare for an uncertain future.

If it happened at Hamlet and the fans all went along with it, I'd find another team to support. But that's just me. I stopped supporting my big team because I saw how a big spending, all-controlling rich twat can destroy everything I liked about the experience.

PS What was your thoughts about the Billericay fans that flooded out the gate when they were losing to Hamlet?

As you can see from my posts I'm not lapping up anything without criticism. I have concerns as well but for us BTFC fans it is a bit more nuanced. Not expecting you lot to see it that way at all.

I've no interest and I'm not sure why you're bringing it up because any comparison would still fall far short of big spending Billericay's sudden and ludicrously over-financed position in a league where most clubs struggle just to keep afloat.

Why does it bother you so much?

As you can see from my posts I'm not lapping up anything without criticism. I have concerns as well but for us BTFC fans it is a bit more nuanced. Not expecting you lot to see it that way at all.
You've made quite a few excuses/dismissals for Tamplin's behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom