Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

Publicity / attention grabbing nonsense like Tamplin is seeking to perpetuate is like a fire - all the time it gets oxygen, it will keep going. And the longer it's given oxygen, the bigger it gets and the harder it is to put out.

He's chucking out these boasts and sound bites so he can crow about them if they come off, and for people to react to if they don't. All the time creating more noise and more attention and keeping the fire going.

I find him an intensely objectionable human being, but continuing to talk about him or comment about him on social media or otherwise is playing into his hands. He can clearly be rubbed up the wrong way quite easily, and that might be what some are after (and I can see there's an angle in trying to get him to do something stupid), but ultimately whether it provokes a reaction or not, it just keeps the fire going.

To my mind, the best approach is to not engage with or about him directly or publicly online, and if you feel he's overstepped the mark, go through the appropriate authorities, and keep the pressure on them to deal with it. I've got email addresses for those at the Isthmian League and the FA who have been involved in investigating his behaviour so far this season, and I'd be happy to share them via DM for those who are interested in contacting them.

And from a personal point of view, I'm bored to death of the twat. It's highly likely he's going to buy the league this season, and whilst that's a shame on many levels, he's not doing anything wrong in investing in the club he owns. I'd love for them to come unstuck, but he's got more money than sense, and it's more likely that he's just going to keep spending until he gets what he wants. I'd rather focus on our team and our season to come (fingers crossed we'll only have to deal with him once more), starting with today and the return of the South London derby.

He about to be on Sky Sports news doing a tour "behind the scenes". The preview showed the Lions in the changing room, but also the "stormy waters" in the tunnel....

Glenn wants us all to look inside ourselves and decide what is our purpose in life!
I think someone needs to explain to Glen that his purpose in life is pissing a lot of people off before he starts asking questions of others.

Lots of things said about Billericay - very few seem better researched than this article

Billericay Town: The Only Way Isn't Necessarily Essex | Twohundredpercent

New user here. From a steel perspective, sorry non-football - but the steel money is ruining the football, so is related.
Everybody in the UK steel industry is mystified. Steel Magnate? There is no money in steel.

Maybe he has won the lottery or the euromillions and doesn't want it known? then fair enough.

Jack Walker/Blackburn was a steel magnate and his money was accountable.

Fair point, just as I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate 'waste management' companies out there. Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of crooks illegally dumping waste wherever they can to make their living.

Fair point, just as I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate 'waste management' companies out there. Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of crooks illegally dumping waste wherever they can to make their living.
Especially in Essex.

On a serious note Billericay will probably not have a bigger PR week than last week, Paper, BBC, Sky, Ex Prem Stars in theteam and they missed their target of fans by 2000, he will be asking himself now what else can I do to get the fans in the gate? The answer is you will not and if you do it will not be sustainable.

Project failed

On a serious note Billericay will probably not have a bigger PR week than last week, Paper, BBC, Sky, Ex Prem Stars in theteam and they missed their target of fans by 2000, he will be asking himself now what else can I do to get the fans in the gate? The answer is you will not and if you do it will not be sustainable.

Project failed

I suppose he can say the live cameras meant people stayed home and watched it for free on the TV......he has lowered his sights for the Leatherhead game, now wants 2,000.

Not sure about that... PR is great but the thing that really brings crowds in is a winning team. If they're challenging for the title in an exciting race towards the end of the season, I'd expect their crowds to be bigger than they are now (just as they would be with any other club).

Not sure about that... PR is great but the thing that really brings crowds in is a winning team. If they're challenging for the title in an exciting race towards the end of the season, I'd expect their crowds to be bigger than they are now (just as they would be with any other club).

They definitely will be - August tends to be a slow month anyway so if you're getting 1,000 now then it will be more later in the season. I think it's far too soon to say what he's doing is a failure as well.

That said the numbers they're getting in now do show something about their potential reach I think. They're not going to get the sort of growth that Tamplin has talked about which firstly begs the question as to whether he'll lose patience and secondly makes it clear that they're never going to get anywhere near paying for themselves. They can keep going but only as long as he keeps putting the money in.

I've just run a search on the thread and no-one has mentioned Forest Green yet which is a bit odd as they're an obvious comparison. They've managed to get all the way to the league now based on the money Dale Vince has put in over the last few years so it can be done. Their crowds are still under 2k though which I think shows how hard it is to increase gates to a huge degree. Even a winning non-league football team is still a non-league football team and most people don't give a toss.

I've just run a search on the thread and no-one has mentioned Forest Green yet which is a bit odd as they're an obvious comparison. They've managed to get all the way to the league now based on the money Dale Vince has put in over the last few years so it can be done. Their crowds are still under 2k though which I think shows how hard it is to increase gates to a huge degree. Even a winning non-league football team is still a non-league football team and most people don't give a toss.

They are and they aren't, for starters they're based in a pretty small village with poor transport and not much of a catchment area. Their gates were already around the 500-600 mark and last year their average was a little of 1700, which was dragged up by a few big away followings.

The population of Billericay is 5 x that of Nailsworth (from a cursory Google) and with gates of around 300 pre-Tamplin you could make the case that he has already boosted their gates by more than the success at FGR despite playing a couple of tiers lower.

Although yes, they are comparable in terms of 'club with small attendances having ridiculous sums of money thrown at them'.

While Dale Vince is a bit dubious I'd much rather he was in charge of my club than Tamplin (I'd rather not have either, but there you are).

They are and they aren't, for starters they're based in a pretty small village with poor transport and not much of a catchment area. Their gates were already around the 500-600 mark and last year their average was a little of 1700, which was dragged up by a few big away followings...
Attendances had grown steadily but not dramatically over the latter conference years and the average gate last year was over 1500 excluding away support. The two EFL league games have seen the home crowd (i.e. excluding away fans again) at 2,000 plus which we might struggle to maintain if results remain poor but there probably is potential to grow a bit more. Forest Green is a tiny hamlet but Nailsworth is really a very small town and the wider Five Valleys catchment area isn't that great but not nothing. Barnet game as first in the league the crowd topped 3,000 with five hundred odd away and no doubt a fair few ground hoppers but if we stay in the league core home support of 2,000 might be the next benchmark.
Was always quite a DV sceptic but he might pull off sustainability in the next few decades after all.

Attendances had grown steadily but not dramatically over the latter conference years and the average gate last year was over 1500 excluding away support. The two EFL league games have seen the home crowd (i.e. excluding away fans again) at 2,000 plus which we might struggle to maintain if results remain poor but there probably is potential to grow a bit more. Forest Green is a tiny hamlet but Nailsworth is really a very small town and the wider Five Valleys catchment area isn't that great but not nothing. Barnet game as first in the league the crowd topped 3,000 with five hundred odd away and no doubt a fair few ground hoppers but if we stay in the league core home support of 2,000 might be the next benchmark.
Was always quite a DV sceptic but he might pull off sustainability in the next few decades after all.

I would be very, very surprised if FGR can maintain gates of 2k over the course of the season, particularly if the results don't start coming in. If he wants sustainability he'll need to start cutting down on the agents fees for starters..!

I would be very, very surprised if FGR can maintain gates of 2k over the course of the season, particularly if the results don't start coming in. If he wants sustainability he'll need to start cutting down on the agents fees for starters..!
Those fees were mental! Still think there's hope for the crowds to stick in the incremental way they've grown over the last six or seven seasons, from core home support of under 1,000 to over 1000 to 1400 to about 1600 even last season. Relegated back down and the bubble might burst but so far seems a realistic view [ETA in general among support I mean] that staying up and watching league football is still worth the effort. We'll see i suppose.

Saw one of his replies said they need to 2000 in to cover their overheads.

I assume thats general match day and day to day costs excluding player wages, as that would still be way off the so called 30k a week figure.

Also I thought they were trying to tap into disillusioned West Ham supporters, who have played all their games away so far. Wonder what impact that might have on a day both playing at home.

My brother got FGR to the Premier League and then won it on champ man... but he was sacked the following season because they lost in the semi finals of the champions league!
We spent the preseason patting ourselves on the back because for some reason we are the first lower league side to get face-scans of the squad for FIFA18 when we ought to have been thinking about a league standard defence :D

Back
Top Bottom