Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

Hi Guys,

I'm a Billericay Town fan. I'm not expecting any of you to like BTFC but having read the comments on this forum here is my take on the situation. I have no problem with your club and wish you luck. Feel free to come back at me on the points I've raised but bear in mind that I certainly won't be getting into a slagging match here as I am trying to build bridges not cause further strife amongst non-league fans.

I’ve been following events at BTFC recently and on reflection, some of what has been going on excites me and others stuff causes me some concern. I've tried to see things from both points of view, so here goes:

I’ve never met Glenn Tamplin personally but if I did I’d be the first to shake him by the hand and thank him for what he’s done for our club in such a short space of time. He’s taken a club in the doldrums of non-league football, put us on the map and given us a route to potential success. In doing so he’s professionalised the club and created fantastic facilities that will not only benefit the people of Billericay and Essex but also many away fans who will visit the club. He’s clearly passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve and has a social conscience. Personally I think he should be congratulated and shown appreciation for spending his hard-earned wealth in a way that will provide leisure and enjoyment for thousands of others.

When people knock Glenn I can see why he gets angry and defensive. A bit of jealousy is to be expected (we used to be jealous of Canvey in the Jeff King days) but hatred and personal abuse is taking things too far. What would our rivals prefer, that BTFC stayed in the doldrums forever, never rising above this level of football, playing in front of 200 fans at a shabby, run-down stadium against other similar teams on muddy pitches with scrappy football? Do they think this represents a pure, unpolluted version of the game, untainted by money?

Things to consider:

1: Yes, GT is spending a huge amount on players’ wages but the kinds of players he has brought in bring excitement and publicity for the club. Personally I think the level of spending is OTT but usually you get what you pay for in football.

2: Having a rich backer in football is nothing unusual. Many, many clubs at all levels have this. A sad truth is that if you want to be successful in football you need money. Good intentions and management will only take you so far.

3: The bigger Premier League clubs have far more money than smaller clubs. Should they also be demonised? Football has never been a level playing field in that respect. You are always going to get big clubs and small clubs, rich ones and poorer ones etc.

4: People mock the increased crowds at BTFC but what do you expect, and again, is there anything wrong or unusual about this? Any club that is successful attracts more fans and as GT says, BTFC is galvanising the community and putting the small town of BTFC on the map. More people coming to watch football has got to be good for the game.

5: GT has brought fun and excitement to the Bostick League. He’s a showman, a businessman and a visionary. Because of him non-league football will get a boost in terms of media exposure and increased attendances at games. Every team in the league will benefit from BTFC’s publicity (Lowestoft for example got a bigger crowd last Tuesday than they would normally have expected.)

Having said all this, here are a few concerns:

1: It is important that everyone at BTFC acts with dignity and humility in a way that wins friends and doesn’t make us a ‘hate’ club or ‘toxic.’ I would prefer if we had rivals who grudgingly respect us rather than despise us. I fear we have set ourselves up as the ‘great Satan’ of our league who are making headlines for the wrong reasons. We don’t want a situation where families are put off the club because of negative publicity (the same goes for sponsors.) Nor do we want confrontational and potentially aggressive atmospheres at matches caused by antagonism created by Twitter spats etc.

2: It would be better in my opinion to answer the ‘haters’ with dignity and restraint. There’s no point getting into slagging matches. Let them think and say what they want and let the football do the talking. Let’s be professional in the way we conduct ourselves. If people slag us off a polite and dignified response achieves more than responding with insults. It makes the other person look bad and it doesn’t get the rise they are looking for.

3: Self-confidence is good but boasting isn’t, especially when we haven’t won anything much yet. Even when we do win stuff we need to be gracious in victory, not gloating.

4: Personally I like the mural but I wonder if it was wise having pictures of GT on it. This will be an easy target for away fans and internet trolls. GT is a working class man from Essex and he may offend middle class sensibilities with his tastes, but so what?

5: GT is untested as a manager and I hope that he does well this season. But if not I hope that he will leave the football side in the capable hands of an experiences and talented manager and concentrate on what he does best; having a dream and taking the necessary steps to make it a reality.
This has been said already above but just to reiterate that BTFC truly is now seen as GTFC. And that gives you, other fans and anyone associated with club a massive, massive issue considering the threats of violence, the mocking of society's most vulnerable, the calls for Twitter users to take their own life, and so much more.

Add all of this to the vulgarity of his lifestyle, his crass and disgusting boasting of this lifestyle, his criminal convictions and his disrespect of anyone who threatens to disagree with him, and your club is now seen as a cesspit of everything we, Dulwich Hamlet, and millions of people in this country and across the world fight to rid society of.

I feel genuinely sorry for many BTFC fans.

Not expecting any sympathy for GT. He certainly hasn't done himself any favours. However, I hope that you can appreciate how BTFC fans have mixed feelings about this. It is our club and whilst we have concerns there is only so much we can do to change things. Our biggest wish is to enjoy the football and get behind the team whoever is at the helm. I think GT is a complex character to be honest who has obviously had a hard life in many ways and has worked extremely hard to get where he is now. I also think he's probably a sensitive and vulnerable bloke at heart who is used to scrapping and standing up for himself and at the same time wants to be liked and approved. I hope that people remember that and cut him some slack, although football being what it is it's inevitable that he'll get a lot of stick.

Anyway lads, enjoy the game tomorrow and hopefully it can be as positive as possible and a great advert for the non-league game. Personally I respect DHFU and I think you have a great club. I hope that we can both succeed in our various ways and achieve our ambitions.

Appreciate it Ben Alltimes - I know you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'd urge some of your 'newer' fans shall we say to jump off the band wagon, people like good old Mark Baker who come on here and give it all that about how we're jealous while attacking people online that don't like what GT's up to. Even when he us joking about suicide. I think as football fans, we'd all have a bit more respect for BTFC fans if they made their voice heard.

At the moment, all we can hear is this.

While he belittles, antagonises, dismisses and threatens anyone who disagrees with him online? And uses mental health insults and poverty as a way of putting down people?

No, he's not worthy of any respect. He's a rich loudmouth with a monstrous ego who is solely interested in success for himself. The club is almost immaterial. Don't forget, you weren't the first club he came calling on, and just like a badge kissing journeyman footballer, his interest will fade just as quickly as it started if he's not getting what he wants out of this exercise.

As for jealousy, I can say - with my hand on my heart - if someone like this boasting buffoon crashed into Hamlet and tried to buy success and started painting lions and pictures of himself all over the ground, I'd go off and support Streatham Rovers or Brixton Skunk Dealers FC.

Enjoy your paid for success. But for me it would be too hollow to enjoy.

Fair points, but not sure what you mean by 'buying success.' Surely all successful clubs do this to some extent?

This has been said already above but just to reiterate that BTFC truly is now seen as GTFC. And that gives you, other fans and anyone associated with club a massive, massive issue considering the threats of violence, the mocking of society's most vulnerable, the calls for Twitter users to take their own life, and so much more.

Add all of this to the vulgarity of his lifestyle, his crass and disgusting boasting of this lifestyle, his criminal convictions and his disrespect of anyone who threatens to disagree with him, and your club is now seen as a cesspit of everything we, Dulwich Hamlet, and millions of people in this country and across the world fight to rid society of.

I feel genuinely sorry for many BTFC fans.

I agree with you in many ways but the club is bigger than the owner and to be honest he's also taken a lot of vile abuse on twitter and the like. Also, in this country we seem to despise people who have done well for themselves. I personally don't like the crass boasting of GT's lifestyle but I also don't have a problem with a bloke who has pulled himself up out of nothing by hard work enjoying what he has earned. And as I said before there is a better side to GT that fans of other clubs may not be aware of. His throwaway remarks of twitter are stupid indeed but often they are not much more that that; stupid comments thrown out in the heat of the moment.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the point about the facilities, that is certainly a positive thing that he has done for your club. It's just that the wage bill is absolutely absurd and that would really concern me.

Even if you look at the likes of Fleetwood or Burton who have had the sort of success that GT is after, you can see that their crowds have grown, yes, but not by that much. BTFC will never get gates of 10,000+ or whatever it will take to justify the wage bill. As you say, time will tell, but I don't think that GT has the temperament to be in this for the long haul, let alone anything else.

Even aside from how committed he is I wonder how long he can afford it for tbh. He's obviously a wealthy man but he's not Roman Abramovich and the club's income will barely make a dent in a £30k per week wage bill.

I agree with you in many ways but the club is bigger than the owner and to be honest he's also taken a lot of vile abuse on twitter and the like. Also, in this country we seem to despise people who have done well for themselves. I personally don't like the crass boasting of GT's lifestyle but I also don't have a problem with a bloke who has pulled himself up out of nothing by hard work enjoying what he has earned.
Well, that and the dodgy criminal waste dumping.

The Court found that Mr Tamplin had acted negligently to a high degree in committing the offences. He was fined a total of £45,000 and ordered to pay £30,789 towards the cost of the investigation and prosecution. The Judge set a period of 9 months imprisonment in default if the fine is not paid within 3 months.

I agree with you in many ways but the club is bigger than the owner and to be honest he's also taken a lot of vile abuse on twitter and the like. Also, in this country we seem to despise people who have done well for themselves. I personally don't like the crass boasting of GT's lifestyle but I also don't have a problem with a bloke who has pulled himself up out of nothing by hard work enjoying what he has earned. And as I said before there is a better side to GT that fans of other clubs may not be aware of. His throwaway remarks of twitter are stupid indeed but often they are not much more that that; stupid comments thrown out in the heat of the moment.

I don't think the issues people have with Tamplin concern social mobility which you have alluded to a few times. It's not about jealousy it's about his own individual personality (fuelled by god knows what). I don't want to see his tacky wedding, or his ridiculous cars, or his McMansion. Especially so when a constant theme from him is that those who aren't millionaires are scum and not worthy of an opinion, especially if it disagrees with his.

^ This - This has nothing to do with resenting someone who's done well for themselves. It's not classist, it's not jealousy, it's calling a cunt a cunt

His throwaway remarks of twitter are stupid indeed but often they are not much more that that; stupid comments thrown out in the heat of the moment.

It's good to hear from a proper BTFC supporter and I can absolutely sympathise with a lot of what Ben Alltimes has posted.

So far this season, I've had conversations with other Hendon fans, Tonbridge supporters and Enfield Town supporters and everyone has been saying pretty much the same thing. IF Tamplin was keeping his head below the parapet, quietly getting on with his investment and bettering the football club then yes, of course we'd all be raising eyebrows when the next £1,000pw + player signed on and we'd be wondering when he was going to get bored and pull his money out - but, there would be so much less hostility towards BTFC and in particular him than there is. Personally speaking, I don't care if he spends his money on a real life pride of lions to parade on matchdays - it's up to him.

What he doesn't seem to grasp is that by and large Non-League football is built on showing respect and dignity. Respect for your opponents who have the same day-to-day struggles that you have to keep the club afloat and to try and attract new fans through the gates, and dignity both in victory and defeat. Tamplin has shown very little in the way of respect for opponents, dignity in victory or defeat and very little humility. He has no concept of how hard many hundreds of people work, unpaid, to keep their own clubs alive at this level. When he was talking about his outreach work with local schools - a laudable notion - he was talking about how special BTFC were for doing this as none of their rivals did. As I said earlier in the thread, every club at this level would love to be able to do this kind of thing, but we do not have a bottomless pit of money to dip into to pay players a full-time wage.

To describe some of his remarks on Twitter as 'throwaway' is highly disingenuous. Regardless of the intent behind them, he should know better than to be inviting someone to throw themselves off a tall building or in front of a train - particularly given his own mental health issues that he's battled in the past. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of thing, no matter what the abuse that gets thrown his way. He was apparently warned by the FA a few weeks ago after his previous tweets around mental illness and addiction, all to no avail, apparently. Like it or not, he is an owner and manager of a Football Club. What he says and does reflects not only on himself, not only on Billericay, but on the league as a whole. At work, when I talk about football and Hendon, all I get asked about now is him. People see this level as a circus, as tin-pot, as mickey-mouse.

This loose-cannon behaviour would worry me if this was the owner of my club. It's taking unpredictability to new levels. Not only that, but everything is about him. His post announcing that he was leaving Twitter until 'I've won the league' - not WE'VE won the league... He sees this as something personal and it just happens to be Billericay Town that is the medium he's found to pursue these personal aims. It really didn't matter to him whether it was Dagenham, Bishop's Stortford or Billericay - it's a personal crusade.

I wish all genuine Billericay fans well - they have always been a classy and welcoming bunch in the past, and I hope this continues in the future. But, I would suggest that now is a really good time for all BTFC fans with the long-term health of the club in mind, to get together and begin to plan for a future without Glenn Tamplin and his money, because despite his promises (which ring very similar to Karl Williams at Hornchurch and Bob Laslett at Margate) around being in it for the long-haul, the alternative future is revoltingly bleak.

It's good to hear from a proper BTFC supporter and I can absolutely sympathise with a lot of what Ben Alltimes has posted.

So far this season, I've had conversations with other Hendon fans, Tonbridge supporters and Enfield Town supporters and everyone has been saying pretty much the same thing. IF Tamplin was keeping his head below the parapet, quietly getting on with his investment and bettering the football club then yes, of course we'd all be raising eyebrows when the next £1,000pw + player signed on and we'd be wondering when he was going to get bored and pull his money out - but, there would be so much less hostility towards BTFC and in particular him than there is. Personally speaking, I don't care if he spends his money on a real life pride of lions to parade on matchdays - it's up to him.

What he doesn't seem to grasp is that by and large Non-League football is built on showing respect and dignity. Respect for your opponents who have the same day-to-day struggles that you have to keep the club afloat and to try and attract new fans through the gates, and dignity both in victory and defeat. Tamplin has shown very little in the way of respect for opponents, dignity in victory or defeat and very little humility. He has no concept of how hard many hundreds of people work, unpaid, to keep their own clubs alive at this level. When he was talking about his outreach work with local schools - a laudable notion - he was talking about how special BTFC were for doing this as none of their rivals did. As I said earlier in the thread, every club at this level would love to be able to do this kind of thing, but we do not have a bottomless pit of money to dip into to pay players a full-time wage.

To describe some of his remarks on Twitter as 'throwaway' is highly disingenuous. Regardless of the intent behind them, he should know better than to be inviting someone to throw themselves off a tall building or in front of a train - particularly given his own mental health issues that he's battled in the past. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of thing, no matter what the abuse that gets thrown his way. He was apparently warned by the FA a few weeks ago after his previous tweets around mental illness and addiction, all to no avail, apparently. Like it or not, he is an owner and manager of a Football Club. What he says and does reflects not only on himself, not only on Billericay, but on the league as a whole. At work, when I talk about football and Hendon, all I get asked about now is him. People see this level as a circus, as tin-pot, as mickey-mouse.

This loose-cannon behaviour would worry me if this was the owner of my club. It's taking unpredictability to new levels. Not only that, but everything is about him. His post announcing that he was leaving Twitter until 'I've won the league' - not WE'VE won the league... He sees this as something personal and it just happens to be Billericay Town that is the medium he's found to pursue these personal aims. It really didn't matter to him whether it was Dagenham, Bishop's Stortford or Billericay - it's a personal crusade.

I wish all genuine Billericay fans well - they have always been a classy and welcoming bunch in the past, and I hope this continues in the future. But, I would suggest that now is a really good time for all BTFC fans with the long-term health of the club in mind, to get together and begin to plan for a future without Glenn Tamplin and his money, because despite his promises (which ring very similar to Karl Williams at Hornchurch and Bob Laslett at Margate) around being in it for the long-haul, the alternative future is revoltingly bleak.
Absolutely spot on. Great post.

Not expecting any sympathy for GT. He certainly hasn't done himself any favours. However, I hope that you can appreciate how BTFC fans have mixed feelings about this. It is our club and whilst we have concerns there is only so much we can do to change things. Our biggest wish is to enjoy the football and get behind the team whoever is at the helm. I think GT is a complex character to be honest who has obviously had a hard life in many ways and has worked extremely hard to get where he is now. I also think he's probably a sensitive and vulnerable bloke at heart who is used to scrapping and standing up for himself and at the same time wants to be liked and approved. I hope that people remember that and cut him some slack, although football being what it is it's inevitable that he'll get a lot of stick.

You 'must' be his PR!

Wish I'd made that post.

HFCJohn See you've got Ollie Sprague back from them. A rare positive from Tamplin's player-signing profligacy.

Yeah, I did wonder if something like this might happen given Ollie was missing from their first two matchday squads - he's not the kind of player to just sit on his arse and pick up his money. As you say, GT's scattergun approach to player recruitment does have the occasional benefit!

Hi Guys,

I'm a Billericay Town fan. I'm not expecting any of you to like BTFC but having read the comments on this forum here is my take on the situation. I have no problem with your club and wish you luck. Feel free to come back at me on the points I've raised but bear in mind that I certainly won't be getting into a slagging match here as I am trying to build bridges not cause further strife amongst non-league fans.

I’ve been following events at BTFC recently and on reflection, some of what has been going on excites me and others stuff causes me some concern. I've tried to see things from both points of view, so here goes:

I’ve never met Glenn Tamplin personally but if I did I’d be the first to shake him by the hand and thank him for what he’s done for our club in such a short space of time. He’s taken a club in the doldrums of non-league football, put us on the map and given us a route to potential success. In doing so he’s professionalised the club and created fantastic facilities that will not only benefit the people of Billericay and Essex but also many away fans who will visit the club. He’s clearly passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve and has a social conscience. Personally I think he should be congratulated and shown appreciation for spending his hard-earned wealth in a way that will provide leisure and enjoyment for thousands of others.

When people knock Glenn I can see why he gets angry and defensive. A bit of jealousy is to be expected (we used to be jealous of Canvey in the Jeff King days) but hatred and personal abuse is taking things too far. What would our rivals prefer, that BTFC stayed in the doldrums forever, never rising above this level of football, playing in front of 200 fans at a shabby, run-down stadium against other similar teams on muddy pitches with scrappy football? Do they think this represents a pure, unpolluted version of the game, untainted by money?

Things to consider:

1: Yes, GT is spending a huge amount on players’ wages but the kinds of players he has brought in bring excitement and publicity for the club. Personally I think the level of spending is OTT but usually you get what you pay for in football.

2: Having a rich backer in football is nothing unusual. Many, many clubs at all levels have this. A sad truth is that if you want to be successful in football you need money. Good intentions and management will only take you so far.

3: The bigger Premier League clubs have far more money than smaller clubs. Should they also be demonised? Football has never been a level playing field in that respect. You are always going to get big clubs and small clubs, rich ones and poorer ones etc.

4: People mock the increased crowds at BTFC but what do you expect, and again, is there anything wrong or unusual about this? Any club that is successful attracts more fans and as GT says, BTFC is galvanising the community and putting the small town of BTFC on the map. More people coming to watch football has got to be good for the game.

5: GT has brought fun and excitement to the Bostick League. He’s a showman, a businessman and a visionary. Because of him non-league football will get a boost in terms of media exposure and increased attendances at games. Every team in the league will benefit from BTFC’s publicity (Lowestoft for example got a bigger crowd last Tuesday than they would normally have expected.)

1: It is important that everyone at BTFC acts with dignity and humility in a way that wins friends and doesn’t make us a ‘hate’ club or ‘toxic.’ I would prefer if we had rivals who grudgingly respect us rather than despise us. I fear we have set ourselves up as the ‘great Satan’ of our league who are making headlines for the wrong reasons. We don’t want a situation where families are put off the club because of negative publicity (the same goes for sponsors.) Nor do we want confrontational and potentially aggressive atmospheres at matches caused by antagonism created by Twitter spats etc.

2: It would be better in my opinion to answer the ‘haters’ with dignity and restraint. There’s no point getting into slagging matches. Let them think and say what they want and let the football do the talking. Let’s be professional in the way we conduct ourselves. If people slag us off a polite and dignified response achieves more than responding with insults. It makes the other person look bad and it doesn’t get the rise they are looking for.

3: Self-confidence is good but boasting isn’t, especially when we haven’t won anything much yet. Even when we do win stuff we need to be gracious in victory, not gloating.

4: Personally I like the mural but I wonder if it was wise having pictures of GT on it. This will be an easy target for away fans and internet trolls. GT is a working class man from Essex and he may offend middle class sensibilities with his tastes, but so what?

5: GT is untested as a manager and I hope that he does well this season. But if not I hope that he will leave the football side in the capable hands of an experiences and talented manager and concentrate on what he does best; having a dream and taking the necessary steps to make it a reality.

Thanks for posting this. I find it interesting to hear the views of a genuine BTFC fan who is open to discussion and isn't just posting to be antagonistic.

Personally I agree with a lot of your points and I think it's fair to say that, for most people, the problem isn't what GT's doing but how he's choosing to go about it. That said, I hugely disagree that jealousy has anything to do with the reaction Tamplin is getting (a character like that is the last thing I'd want at a club I support), and I also disagree that what he's doing is of any real benefit to the league (other than a very short-term boost in crowds at a few matches).

For me, what it boils down to is that I believe football clubs should at least try to be self-sufficient. When clubs spend beyond their means, brushing other clubs out of their path along the way, and then end up going into administration because they can't pay the debts they've racked up, I consider it cheating. As football fans we've seen it way too many times in the past and there are numerous signs that it'll eventually happen again here.

My question for you would be, are Billericay fans actually vocally questioning what's happening, or are they all just happily going along with it? If it was my club (and I'm very glad it's not), I'd want to know what the actual long-term financial plan is. What happens if Tamplin runs out of money? What happens if his erratic behaviour leads to him pulling the plug? What happens if he dies? (That last one may seem extreme, but that's what happened to Gretna.)

I wish you and other reasonable Billericay fans like you the best of luck, but I don't envy you at all. As ambitious and successful as I want Dulwich Hamlet to be, I see Tamplin's attitude as the exact opposite of everything that drew me to non-league football in the first place. I just can't see any scenario in which this is going to work out well, and the fall-out from that would be damaging to other clubs in the league too. I just find him to be loud-mouthed, arrogant and downright irresponsible.

Disappointed about Kottoy, any intel on why he made that decision?

Personally I'm not too fussed about Kottoy. He looked decent, but no better an option than Kargbo/Beaney/Carew. The big loss is Sekajja. If I was a certain R Kelly-loving lion-bummer, he's exactly the sort of player I'd be looking to pick up. Hopefully that doesn't happen and Ibra's already got himself a move elsewhere.

I thought, it better for me to go through the whole post, copy and pasted, my responses in CAPITALS, not because I’m, ‘shouting’ in internet terms, just to differentiate my comments from the original:

I DON’T PARTICULARLY DISLIKE BILLERICAY TOWN, I’VE HAD SOME GOOD MOMENTS THERE DOWN THE DECADES. NOT MY FAVOURITE CLUB TO GO TO BY A LONG CHALK , BUT CERTAINLY HAS NEVER BEEN THE WORST. ALWAYS SAW YOUR GROOUND A NICE OLD QUIRKY ONE…PRE-DEVELOPMENT OBVIOUSLY.

THE DOLDRUMS OF NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL? YOU MEAN THE LEVEL THAT BILLERICAY TOWN HAS PLAYED AT FOR EIGHTEEN OF THE LAST NINETEEN YEARS? IN FACT YOU’VE ONLY EVER SPENT ONE YEAR COMPETING AT A HIGHER LEVEL, WHICH WAS CONFERENCE SOUTH IN 2012/13, WHEN YOU CAME SECOND FROM BOTTOM & GOT RELEGATED! I WANT PROMOTION, BUT I CERTAINLY WOULDN’T CALL OUR CURRENT LEVEL ‘THE DOLDRUMS’. FACILITY WISE, I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH HIM IMPROVING THE GROUND..IN FACT WHEN HE FIRST STARTED CHUCKING THE MONEY AROUND I SAID I’D ONLY TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY WHEN HE DEVELOPED THE GROUND ALONGSIDE IT…AT LEAST HE’S DONE THAT. FAR TOO MUCH THOUGH.

ONE THING I’M NOT IS JEALOUS OF BILLERICAY TOWN. I’M INTRIGUED AND ALSO EXTREMELY SAD. THE ODDS ARE AGAINST HIM TAKING YOU ALL THE WAY TO THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE, BUT IT CAN HAPPEN. TRUTH BE TOLD HE DOESN’T NEED TO ‘WASTE’ SO MUCH MONEY AT THIS LEVEL. I’M JUST GRATEFUL HE DIDN’T PUT A MANAGER IN PLACE LIKE OUR OWN GAVIN ROSE, WHO HE COULD HAVE GIVEN A BUDGET A THIRD OF WHAT HE’S PAYING, AND ANY PROVEN GAFFER AT OUR LEVEL COULD HAVE CHERRYPICKED OUR DIVISION TO GET A SIDE TO WIN THE BOSTIK PREMIER THIS SEASON. OF THAT I HAVE NO DOUBT.

Things to consider:

I DON’T DIASAGREE WITH THE PUBLICITY…THAT’S SIMPLY WHAT HAD TO BE DONE WITH THE OBSCENE WAGES HE’S PAYING FOR OUR LEVEL, AND IT WILL BRING THE CROWDS IN, AS HAS ALREADY BEEN PROVEN. BUT…WILL IT BRING IN THE NUMBER OF LOCALS THAT HE WANTS? WHEN IT GOES WRONG, IF IT DOES, MAYBE NOT THIS YEAR, BUT WHENEVER, WILL HE TURN AND BLAME THE LOCAL COMMUNITY FOR NOT SUPPORTING HIM ENOUGH?

NO IT’S NOT. IN FACT WE ARE EXTREMELY UNUSUAL AT OUR LEVEL FOR NOT HAVING ANY BUSINESSMEN ON OUR BOARD, IN FACT WE DON’T EVEN HAVE A ‘BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ BUT AN OLD FAHSIONED FOOTBALL COMMITTEE OF TOTALLY VOLUNTERRS, NONE OF WHOM HAVE THE PROVERBIAL ‘POT TO PISS IN’. I DON’T THINK ANYONE WOULD BE SO SHOCKED IF HE ‘SPLASHED THE CASH’ BUT IN TRUTH HE IS SPENDING FAR TOO MUCH MONEY THAN IS NEEDED TO GET OUT OF OUR DIVISION. BUT WITHOUT HIM DOING THAT YOU WOULDN’T BE GETTING THE EXPOSURE & THUS THE CROWDS YOU ARE GETTING, SO IT’S WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE FOR YOU, I SUPPOSE. BUT IT IS VERY MUCH A SLEDGEHAMMER TO CRACK AN EGGSHELL, FROM WHERE I’M STANDING, IF IT’S PROMOTION YOU ARE AFTER.

AS OTHERS HAVE SAID I DON’T THINK YOUR CLUB WOULD BE AS ‘DEMONISED’ IF IT WASN’T FOR SOME OF THE COMMENTS AND ACTIONS THE REST OF THE FOOTBALLING WORLD IS SEEING FROM MR. TAMPLIN. SURELY THERE SHOULD BE PEOPLE AROUND HIM WHO SHOULD BE ADVISING HIM WHAT TO POST, AND THE ETIQUETTE OF THINGS. MANY FANS FROM OTHER CLUBS SHOULD BE EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO YOUR NEW FACILITIES AND SEEING EXACTLY WHAT’S GOING ON…BUT MANY ARE TRADING IT, AS IF IT’S A FREAK SHOW AT A CIRCUS.

to be continued in the next post.....

My part two:

I’M NOT MOCKING THEM PER SE, I WOULD EXPECT THEM TO INCREASE. AS A LIFELONG HAMLET FAN I’VE SEEN OURS JUMP IMMENSELY AND QUICKLY OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS, AND WE HAVE HAD TO TAKE SOME MOCKING TOO. BUT-AH, ISN’T THERE ALWAYS A BUT-IF MR. TAMPLIN HADN’T GONE ON SO LOUDLY ABOUT GETTING TWO, THREE EVEN FOUR THOUSAND A WEEK THEN WE WOULDN’T BE KEEPING SUCH CLOSE TABS ON YOUR GATES, AND WOULD JUST SEE THEM AS A BIG INCREASE THAT WE’D EXPECT, FOR THE AMOUNT OF LOCAL INTEREST YOU’RE CREATING IN YOUR PART OF THE WORLD. WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAYING ‘BLIMEY, BILLERICAY HAD A DECENT CROWD AGAINST KINSTONIAN’…INSTEAD WE’RE LAUGHING BECAUSE OF TAMPLIN’S PREDICTIONS/ESTIMATES.

I’M NOT DISPUTING WE WILL GET A NUMBER OF CURIOUS LOCALS ON SATURDAY, AND OTHER CLUBS WILL BENEFIT TOO, AS YOU SAY LOWESTOFT DID. BUT THAT IS NOT A REASON TO SAY HE’S DOING A GREAT JOB. PEROSNALLY SPEAKING I DON’T NEED MR. TAMPLIN TO BRING FUN AND EXCITEMENT INTO THE BOSTIK LEAGUE. I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THE HAMLET MAN AND BOY SINCE 1974, AND HAVE NOW BEEN ON THE CHAMPION HILL TERRACES, AS WELL AS AWAY GAMES, FOR OVER FOUR DECADES. OUR CURRENT SPELL UNDER GAVIN ROSE OVER THE BEST PART OF THE LAST DECADE HAS BROUGHT ME FAR MORE FUN AND EXCITEMENT INTO MY LIFE THAN I EVER BELIEVED POSSIBLE. HE’S A SHOWMAN? YES, WITHOUT A DOUBT, BUT THAT’S NOT ALWAYS A GOOD THING. HE’S A BUSINESSMAN? YES, BUT ONE WHO’S CLEARLY PREPARED TO CUT CORNERS AND BREAK THE LAW, WHICH IS PUBLIC RECORD. A VISIONARY? MAYBE FROM WHERE YOU’RE SITTING…BUT IT’S FAR TOO EARLY TO SAY THAT. IN FIVE YEARS TIME IF YOU’RE MORE THAN HOLDING YOUR OWN IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE NATIONAL, THEN I MIGHT ACCEPT THAT, EVEN IF I MIGHT NOT USE THAT EXACT WORD MYSELF, BUT UNTIL THEN…MY PERSONAL JURY IS OUT.

THOSE TWO WORDS: ‘DIGNITY’ AND ‘HUMILITY’. UNTIL MR. TAMPLIN LOOKS THEM UP IN A DICTIONARY AND WORKS OUT HOW TO IMPLEMENT THEM YOU ARE DOOMED & THE VAST MAJORITY OF NON-LEAGUE WILL BE LAUGHING AT YOU, AGAPE AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING, WITH NO RESPECT AT ALL. RESPECT HAS TO BE EARNED. FORTUNATELY I DON’T USE TWITTER, BUT HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF HIS POSTS TO WONDER HOW ON EARTH HE CAN EVEN GET AWAY WITH SOME OF THEM. FOR THE RECORD I AM NOT A MR. TAMPLIN OR A BILELRICAY TOWN ‘HATER’, MORE OF A ‘PITIER’.

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THOUGH, WHY PEOPLE ARE POSTING AND TO DO THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE POSTS FROM MR. TAMPLIN HIMSELF. IT IS NOT THE SO-CALLED ‘HATERS’ THAT HAVE TO ACT WITH ‘DIGITY’ AND ‘RESTRAINT’ BUT THE MAN HIMSELF!

I THINK YOU SHOULD BE TELLING HIM THAT, NOT EXPLAINING TO US, TO BE HONEST.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MURALS IN FOOTBALL…AND HAVING PUMPED IN, TO THE ‘ORDINARY MAN IN THE STREET’ A PROVERBIAL SMALL LOTTERY WIN, HE CAN DO WHAT HE LIKES. BUT HE IS ONLY SETTING HIMSELF UP FOR ‘ABUSE’ BY DOING SO, AND SHOULDN'T BE SURPRISED WHEN HALF OF THE NON-LEAGUE WORLD ARE LAUGHING AT HIM AS A RESULT.

IT’S BLOODY LUDICROUS THAT HE’S ON THE BENCH TO BE HONEST, AND I THINK, THAT’S WHAT YOU’RE REALLY SAYING IN THIS POST. BUT WITH WHAT WE’VE SEEN OF MR. TAMPLIN ALREADY, WITH HIS COMMENTS AND HIS PERCEIVED EGO, DO YOU HONESTLY THINK HE WILL EVER LET AN ESTABLISHED MANAGER JUST GET ON AND MANAGE, WITH THE MONEY HE’S PUMPED IN? I CERTAINLY DON’T THINK SO.
Anyway, that’s my comments done and dusted, I don’t expect you to agree with them all, but at least respect them a little, especially as I’ve ‘wasted’ my lunch break typing this all up!
Personally, with the huge budget you’re working on, which is unprecedented at Isthmian League level, even when there have been rich owners in the past, anything other than a romp to the title must be seen as a huge failure for you.
I’ve already said I don’t hate Billericay Town per se, but with your hugely inflated budget don’t pretend there’s a ‘level playing field’ out there, no matter how much work you do on your bumpy pitch. If we come second and go up in the play-offs, behind you winning the title, then I will resent you for the rest of your life. Because, no matter what you say about there having always been rich owners in football, I will never forgive your club for denying me what would have been the only Isthmian League title in my lifetime.
Anyway, thanks for posting on here, and having the bollocks to try to defend your club. It is appreciated by me, at least.

My part two:

I’M NOT MOCKING THEM PER SE, I WOULD EXPECT THEM TO INCREASE. AS A LIFELONG HAMLET FAN I’VE SEEN OURS JUMP IMMENSELY AND QUICKLY OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS, AND WE HAVE HAD TO TAKE SOME MOCKING TOO. BUT-AH, ISN’T THERE ALWAYS A BUT-IF MR. TAMPLIN HADN’T GONE ON SO LOUDLY ABOUT GETTING TWO, THREE EVEN FOUR THOUSAND A WEEK THEN WE WOULDN’T BE KEEPING SUCH CLOSE TABS ON YOUR GATES, AND WOULD JUST SEE THEM AS A BIG INCREASE THAT WE’D EXPECT, FOR THE AMOUNT OF LOCAL INTEREST YOU’RE CREATING IN YOUR PART OF THE WORLD. WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAYING ‘BLIMEY, BILLERICAY HAD A DECENT CROWD AGAINST KINSTONIAN’…INSTEAD WE’RE LAUGHING BECAUSE OF TAMPLIN’S PREDICTIONS/ESTIMATES.

I’M NOT DISPUTING WE WILL GET A NUMBER OF CURIOUS LOCALS ON SATURDAY, AND OTHER CLUBS WILL BENEFIT TOO, AS YOU SAY LOWESTOFT DID. BUT THAT IS NOT A REASON TO SAY HE’S DOING A GREAT JOB. PEROSNALLY SPEAKING I DON’T NEED MR. TAMPLIN TO BRING FUN AND EXCITEMENT INTO THE BOSTIK LEAGUE. I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THE HAMLET MAN AND BOY SINCE 1974, AND HAVE NOW BEEN ON THE CHAMPION HILL TERRACES, AS WELL AS AWAY GAMES, FOR OVER FOUR DECADES. OUR CURRENT SPELL UNDER GAVIN ROSE OVER THE BEST PART OF THE LAST DECADE HAS BROUGHT ME FAR MORE FUN AND EXCITEMENT INTO MY LIFE THAN I EVER BELIEVED POSSIBLE. HE’S A SHOWMAN? YES, WITHOUT A DOUBT, BUT THAT’S NOT ALWAYS A GOOD THING. HE’S A BUSINESSMAN? YES, BUT ONE WHO’S CLEARLY PREPARED TO CUT CORNERS AND BREAK THE LAW, WHICH IS PUBLIC RECORD. A VISIONARY? MAYBE FROM WHERE YOU’RE SITTING…BUT IT’S FAR TOO EARLY TO SAY THAT. IN FIVE YEARS TIME IF YOU’RE MORE THAN HOLDING YOUR OWN IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE NATIONAL, THEN I MIGHT ACCEPT THAT, EVEN IF I MIGHT NOT USE THAT EXACT WORD MYSELF, BUT UNTIL THEN…MY PERSONAL JURY IS OUT.

THOSE TWO WORDS: ‘DIGNITY’ AND ‘HUMILITY’. UNTIL MR. TAMPLIN LOOKS THEM UP IN A DICTIONARY AND WORKS OUT HOW TO IMPLEMENT THEM YOU ARE DOOMED & THE VAST MAJORITY OF NON-LEAGUE WILL BE LAUGHING AT YOU, AGAPE AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING, WITH NO RESPECT AT ALL. RESPECT HAS TO BE EARNED. FORTUNATELY I DON’T USE TWITTER, BUT HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF HIS POSTS TO WONDER HOW ON EARTH HE CAN EVEN GET AWAY WITH SOME OF THEM. FOR THE RECORD I AM NOT A MR. TAMPLIN OR A BILELRICAY TOWN ‘HATER’, MORE OF A ‘PITIER’.

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THOUGH, WHY PEOPLE ARE POSTING AND TO DO THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE POSTS FROM MR. TAMPLIN HIMSELF. IT IS NOT THE SO-CALLED ‘HATERS’ THAT HAVE TO ACT WITH ‘DIGITY’ AND ‘RESTRAINT’ BUT THE MAN HIMSELF!

I THINK YOU SHOULD BE TELLING HIM THAT, NOT EXPLAINING TO US, TO BE HONEST.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MURALS IN FOOTBALL…AND HAVING PUMPED IN, TO THE ‘ORDINARY MAN IN THE STREET’ A PROVERBIAL SMALL LOTTERY WIN, HE CAN DO WHAT HE LIKES. BUT HE IS ONLY SETTING HIMSELF UP FOR ‘ABUSE’ BY DOING SO, AND SHOULDN'T BE SURPRISED WHEN HALF OF THE NON-LEAGUE WORLD ARE LAUGHING AT HIM AS A RESULT.

IT’S BLOODY LUDICROUS THAT HE’S ON THE BENCH TO BE HONEST, AND I THINK, THAT’S WHAT YOU’RE REALLY SAYING IN THIS POST. BUT WITH WHAT WE’VE SEEN OF MR. TAMPLIN ALREADY, WITH HIS COMMENTS AND HIS PERCEIVED EGO, DO YOU HONESTLY THINK HE WILL EVER LET AN ESTABLISHED MANAGER JUST GET ON AND MANAGE, WITH THE MONEY HE’S PUMPED IN? I CERTAINLY DON’T THINK SO.
Anyway, that’s my comments done and dusted, I don’t expect you to agree with them all, but at least respect them a little, especially as I’ve ‘wasted’ my lunch break typing this all up!
Personally, with the huge budget you’re working on, which is unprecedented at Isthmian League level, even when there have been rich owners in the past, anything other than a romp to the title must be seen as a huge failure for you.
I’ve already said I don’t hate Billericay Town per se, but with your hugely inflated budget don’t pretend there’s a ‘level playing field’ out there, no matter how much work you do on your bumpy pitch. If we come second and go up in the play-offs, behind you winning the title, then I will resent you for the rest of your life. Because, no matter what you say about there having always been rich owners in football, I will never forgive your club for denying me what would have been the only Isthmian League title in my lifetime.
Anyway, thanks for posting on here, and having the bollocks to try to defend your club. It is appreciated by me, at least.
I also forgot to say...if anyone of 'his ilk' ever took over The Hamlet I certainly wouldn't get excited. I'd pick and choose my game, spend the few matches I go to moaning in 'Old Skool Dinosaur' corner, and enjoy the rest of my life going to games elsewhere. Like anyone who becomes disillusioned with their football club: your Club will always be in your heart, but there are limits as to how much you can support that heavy heart...

I think Every team will earmark their fixtures vs. Billericay to be the games they most want to win (aside from t&m in our case, natch). All this focus and publicity can make life more difficult on the pitch in that regard.

Personally I'm not too fussed about Kottoy. He looked decent, but no better an option than Kargbo/Beaney/Carew. The big loss is Sekajja. If I was a certain R Kelly-loving lion-bummer, he's exactly the sort of player I'd be looking to pick up. Hopefully that doesn't happen and Ibra's already got himself a move elsewhere.

Will answer on transfer thread

Some comments in here about alluding to what BTFC fans are doing to prepare for when it inevitably falls apart. Pleased to see they are looking into forming a Supporters Trust. There is a group of fans who are concerned about the impact on the long-term, but are obviously rather concerned about being too out in the open on this for fear as being labelled as "haters".

I don't think the issues people have with Tamplin concern social mobility which you have alluded to a few times. It's not about jealousy it's about his own individual personality (fuelled by god knows what). I don't want to see his tacky wedding, or his ridiculous cars, or his McMansion. Especially so when a constant theme from him is that those who aren't millionaires are scum and not worthy of an opinion, especially if it disagrees with his.

I agree mate. It may be a matter of personal taste. I think GT is just proud of his achievements despite many his setbacks. And he feels entitled to point to his achievements when he feels that others who haven't achieved much (in his opinion) are on his case. I find it vulgar and inappropriate as well but I am trying to put myself in his shoes and understand why he acts the way he does.

I agree with much of what you say and I do not believe the comments were appropriate. Personally I believe they were unedifying and puerile and somebody in GT's position should be more careful. But it's also true that he was on the receiving end of some nasty abuse.

Here's one BTFC fan who believes in respect and dignity which is why I respect DHFC and the way you've built up your club.

Thanks for posting this. I find it interesting to hear the views of a genuine BTFC fan who is open to discussion and isn't just posting to be antagonistic.

Personally I agree with a lot of your points and I think it's fair to say that, for most people, the problem isn't what GT's doing but how he's choosing to go about it. That said, I hugely disagree that jealousy has anything to do with the reaction Tamplin is getting (a character like that is the last thing I'd want at a club I support), and I also disagree that what he's doing is of any real benefit to the league (other than a very short-term boost in crowds at a few matches).

For me, what it boils down to is that I believe football clubs should at least try to be self-sufficient. When clubs spend beyond their means, brushing other clubs out of their path along the way, and then end up going into administration because they can't pay the debts they've racked up, I consider it cheating. As football fans we've seen it way too many times in the past and there are numerous signs that it'll eventually happen again here.

My question for you would be, are Billericay fans actually vocally questioning what's happening, or are they all just happily going along with it? If it was my club (and I'm very glad it's not), I'd want to know what the actual long-term financial plan is. What happens if Tamplin runs out of money? What happens if his erratic behaviour leads to him pulling the plug? What happens if he dies? (That last one may seem extreme, but that's what happened to Gretna.)

I wish you and other reasonable Billericay fans like you the best of luck, but I don't envy you at all. As ambitious and successful as I want Dulwich Hamlet to be, I see Tamplin's attitude as the exact opposite of everything that drew me to non-league football in the first place. I just can't see any scenario in which this is going to work out well, and the fall-out from that would be damaging to other clubs in the league too. I just find him to be loud-mouthed, arrogant and downright irresponsible.

I get all that mate. Difficult situation. All I can do is hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom