Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

I'd like to see Dulwich Hamlet ban The Sun at Champion Hill. Many other football clubs (around 70) have: including conversations with local retailers to stop selling.

We don't supply papers in the ground anyway (bar the peckham peculiar) - but there is no fucking way we'd have it knocking about regardless. (in my opinion, anyway)

I'd like to see Dulwich Hamlet ban The Sun at Champion Hill. Many other football clubs (around 70) have: including conversations with local retailers to stop selling.
How can you ban a newspaper from the ground? Assuming football clubs don't sell newspapers inside their grounds does this mean anyone with a rolled up copy in their jacket or bag has it confiscated or is refused admission?

I think the tide has already turned against The Sun and will continue to do so. Their absurd anti-Labour propaganda during the recent election campaign doesn't fool people like it used to, but whilst I won't buy it or read it myself, and encourage others to do the same, I think that's a bit over the top and probably more likely to cause a siege mentality among its readers and make them all the more determined to support it. It would be the thin end of the wedge IMO; other clubs could start banning all sorts of arbitary items according to personal political or social views.

(Banning links from an independent forum is another matter and the prerogative of those who devote their time and energy to sustaining the forum for the benefit of other users.)

How can you ban a newspaper from the ground? Assuming football clubs don't sell newspapers inside their grounds does this mean anyone with a rolled up copy in their jacket or bag has it confiscated or is refused admission?

I think the tide has already turned against The Sun and will continue to do so. Their absurd anti-Labour propaganda during the recent election campaign doesn't fool people like it used to, but whilst I won't buy it or read it myself, and encourage others to do the same, I think that's a bit over the top and probably more likely to cause a siege mentality among its readers and make them all the more determined to support it. It would be the thin end of the wedge IMO; other clubs could start banning all sorts of arbitary items according to personal political or social views.

(Banning links from an independent forum is another matter and the prerogative of those who devote their time and energy to sustaining the forum for the benefit of other users.)
Yes, you are probably right when all is said and done.
For ages I've wanted to get a Justice flag done in pink & blue; but I'm a) lazy and not talented enough to make one and b) too skint to get one created.
One day.

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club currently have no policy on The Sun, as far as I know. As for talking to local retailers that would be something more for fans to suggest, I would have thought. Professional clubs can ban The Sun, as they deal directly with their journalists, we don't.

Yes, you are probably right when all is said and done.
For ages I've wanted to get a Justice flag done in pink & blue; but I'm a) lazy and not talented enough to make one and b) too skint to get one created.
One day.
Why not ask around and see who would make donations toward it. I'm sure you'd soon raise it if you aren't in a position to fund it personally.

To actually ban The Sun from Champion Hill when we have no dealings with them is the sort of empty gesture that I would expect from the type of publicity seeking fan-owned club types not too far from the South Coast... I'd like to think we do things because they matter, and are workable, rather a PR stunt.

Hypothetically we could say what we like, as a Club (Committee) but if we drew, say, Arsenal in the thirs round proper of the FA Cup and were the featured game on Sky TV, there would be nothing to stop the owners ripping up/ignoring any agreement & putting The Sun on our shirts as a one-off, for a big payout, as several clubs have done down the years.

(I hasten to add if that happened I would be very quick to resign from the Committee, so hopefully that wouldn't ever happen...)

The infrastructure to do this is already kind of in place, in the form of our famous muscular stewards.

Back
Top Bottom