Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

I'd be very intrigued to see what happens if they weren't to win it this year. Would he continue investing at the same level for another season in the Bostik?

They're going to be pulling that kind of shit every game - manufacturing nonsense to give the media something to continue to hook into, as they try to be something they're not.

I get that Tamplin's trying to make his money back, but if they just played football and got on with it they'd be much better off. At some point, on the field or off, you've got to feel that someone will take exception to this kind of behaviour - and it will all have been avoidable if they could just show even a modicum of respect or class.

Please post up any responses you get from the Chairman and any other officials. I honestly fear that Tamplin's actions may lead to ugly scenes off the pitch.

By the way, got a response today from the Chairman of the Isthmian League, after I chased it up:

I thank you for your email and can confirm that I passed a copy of your previous email to the FA, my apologies for not personally acknowledging your email

The League is not permitted to deal with this matter at this time.

The FA is the only authority for dealing with Social Media. I have asked that the matter be dealt with urgently

Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention

Going to ask who or what at the FA he's referred it to, so I can continue to take it up with them. Probably pissing in the wind, but fuck it - in for a penny and all that.

They're going to be pulling that kind of shit every game - manufacturing nonsense to give the media something to continue to hook into, as they try to be something they're not.

I get that Tamplin's trying to make his money back, but if they just played football and got on with it they'd be much better off. At some point, on the field or off, you've got to feel that someone will take exception to this kind of behaviour - and it will all have been avoidable if they could just show even a modicum of respect or class.
The lack of respect shown by Billericay to other clubs is truly disgraceful. He's too busy boasting about how's he's going to crush all the other teams who are struggling to survive while he flashes his wad around.

I very much doubt he's trying to get his money back tbh. It's a vanity hobby not a business thing - there's no route to making a profit.

It is sounding very much like to me very few of the commentators on here have ever been in a football dressing room before.
Oh, are you an expert? Please retell us your stories!

PS How many managers post up their 'inspirational' pre-match singalong routines online after a win? You're the expert, so please list them all.

I very much doubt he's trying to get his money back tbh. It's a vanity hobby not a business thing - there's no route to making a profit.

The more bollocks they put out there, the more attention they'll get from the media - whether that's tabloid rags, or this television programme he's spouted about - and the more money that'll bring in. Although admittedly it does also serve to fuel his gargantuan ego.

The more bollocks they put out there, the more attention they'll get from the media - whether that's tabloid rags, or this television programme he's spouted about - and the more money that'll bring in. Although admittedly it does also serve to fuel his gargantuan ego.

That is true, but it's never going to be enough to run the club at a profit, let alone make back the losses he's making now.

He's claiming he's bringing in players two levels above - they're probably not the best National League players but he has to pay a premium to get them to drop down. Plus there's the odd ex-Prem knacker like Jamie O'Hara. So say he roughly has the wage bill of one of the bigger ex-league clubs in the National League. To cover that they'd need roughly the equivalent income of those clubs - so maybe 3000 regulars, paying National league prices (about £18 a game for an adult, give or take). At the moment they're nowhere near that, on crowds or prices, so they'll be running at a big loss. Maybe they might improve if they move up the league? They might to a point but the problem is that he can't maintain that '2 leagues better' stuff and the probably winning team that goes with it. Either he's got to finance a League 1 level squad, and is losing even more, or he has an unremarkable National League (or NL South) team in a small town - and they don't make money. There's no way it's profit making. And that's ignoring the funds sunk into new facilities and the like.

You could compare them to Dulwich - we've had plenty of publicity, in the likes of the Guardian, and crowds have increased substantially as a result. There's no doubt we're bringing in far more cash because of that than when gates were 200ish. I'm sure you'd get a laugh from Liam if you suggested we could fund a National League level squad from it though.

That is true, but it's never going to be enough to run the club at a profit, let alone make back the losses he's making now.

He's claiming he's bringing in players two levels above - they're probably not the best National League players but he has to pay a premium to get them to drop down. Plus there's the odd ex-Prem knacker like Jamie O'Hara. So say he roughly has the wage bill of one of the bigger ex-league clubs in the National League. To cover that they'd need roughly the equivalent income of those clubs - so maybe 3000 regulars, paying National league prices (about £18 a game for an adult, give or take). At the moment they're nowhere near that, on crowds or prices, so they'll be running at a big loss. Maybe they might improve if they move up the league? They might to a point but the problem is that he can't maintain that '2 leagues better' stuff and the probably winning team that goes with it. Either he's got to finance a League 1 level squad, and is losing even more, or he has an unremarkable National League (or NL South) team in a small town - and they don't make money. There's no way it's profit making. And that's ignoring the funds sunk into new facilities and the like.

You could compare them to Dulwich - we've had plenty of publicity, in the likes of the Guardian, and crowds have increased substantially as a result. There's no doubt we're bringing in far more cash because of that than when gates were 200ish. I'm sure you'd get a laugh from Liam if you suggested we could fund a National League level squad from it though.
It's harder to get liamdhfc to laugh than you think.... ;)

Eh?
We have posh supermarkets and cheap supermarkets in England. A posh one would be something say like Marks and Spencer, and a cheap one would be something like Iceland. We also get one's called Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Tesco, which are sort of middle of the road.

"So what I've said is, every non-league club is Iceland and every premier club is Marks & Spencer, and I'm going to create a Sainsbury's of non-league football and that's what I've done.
The betting people have made us 10-1 on to win the league. Its never been known in any football club. Thats horrendous.

"Its because I've signed 7 or 8 extreme good players captains and leaders from two levels up. What I've gone and done is, I've gone and got players from League Two and the National Conference League. so it's two or three levels up and I've gone and got the best players at those levels.

Can Billericay go into the Premier League one day?

"I know my limits," said Tamplin. "I think I could get us to League One, comfortably. If I wanted to take it on, I'd need a backer, somebody who has multi, multi millions."

EXCLUSIVE: Glenn Tamplin, Billericay Town and his Football League Dream - Tribal Football

Billericay will be the Honor Oak Sainsbury's Local of football. A money machine out front and a badly run poorly stocked food store inside. Come Sunday, the machine has run out of cash and you are forced to spend your last tenner on cheap cider, tobacco and Rizlas.

giphy.gif

What the fuck is he on about? What this "2 Boards" and Vegas thing?

The players have been asked to sell advertising boards to their contacts. If they don't he isn't going to pay for them to visit Vegas, which they are going to if they go up.

Back
Top Bottom