Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

Guardian piece

Rashford, the activist, was unleashed to devastating effect. His campaigning on child food poverty has forced two government U-turns. While the 23-year-old has captured the zeitgeist, No 10 has been exposed as out-of-touch and seemingly floundering.

His fundraising for FareShare, a charity collecting surplus food, quickly raised more than £20m for children’s school meals, including a “significant” donation from himself. Then followed his ultimately successful campaign to extend food vouchers to children during school holidays.

“He read an article in the Guardian that the voucher scheme was coming to an end,” Hogarth said. Having received free school meals growing up in a single parent family of five children in Wythenshawe, south Manchester, Rashford was horrified. His memories were of fear of food poverty during holidays, of making out he was full so his mother, Melanie, who was working three jobs, would allow herself to eat. “He rang us and said ‘This cannot happen; these families cannot survive on just food banks’,” Hogarth said.

Congratulations !

36147150-8991075-image-a-52_1606415991710.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Footballer Marcus Rashford was this evening named GQ's Campaigner of the Year at the 23rd year of the GQ Men Of The Year Awards,
following his successful efforts to ensure children have free school meals.

Marcus Rashford: ‘I immediately started thinking about what happens next’

Could he be the first Sir to be playing Top Flight football?
And would the pundits and commentators be obliged to refer to him as such?
Not sure but I think Stanley Mathews was still playing top flight football ie League One as it was then, when he was knighted.

Not sure but I think Stanley Mathews was still playing top flight football ie League One as it was then, when he was knighted.
Just looked it up. He was knighted in New Years Honours in 1965 and played one more game for Stoke City in the League One in February. He was 50 years old.
He then played in Toronto for a 6 games until retiring.
I'm now gonna look up the oldest top flight player

Heres the official version then

While the special award recognises Rashford’s campaigning against child poverty and for free school meals, the 23-year-old has been excluded from the Spoty nominees because the Manchester United and England forward’s on-field achievements have not reached the sporting bar as decided by the judging panel.

A BBC spokesperson said: “The criteria for selecting nominees for the shortlist is, and always has been, centred around sporting achievement. Whilst Marcus has had a huge impact outside of his sport , which led to the panel giving him their special award, based on the criteria it was felt his sporting achievement this year wasn’t enough for him to make the shortlist for the main award.”

Rashford was United’s joint top-scorer with 23 goals last season, the best return of his career, while also scoring twice for England. This season he has been in equally impressive form, scoring a 15-minute Champions League hat-trick against RB Leipzig, and has nine goals in 14 United appearances, again making him the joint top-scorer.

While the special award recognises Rashford’s campaigning against child poverty and for free school meals, the 23-year-old has been excluded from the Spoty nominees because the Manchester United and England forward’s on-field achievements have not reached the sporting bar as decided by the judging panel.

A BBC spokesperson said: “The criteria for selecting nominees for the shortlist is, and always has been, centred around sporting achievement. Whilst Marcus has had a huge impact outside of his sport , which led to the panel giving him their special award, based on the criteria it was felt his sporting achievement this year wasn’t enough for him to make the shortlist for the main award.”

Rashford was United’s joint top-scorer with 23 goals last season, the best return of his career, while also scoring twice for England. This season he has been in equally impressive form, scoring a 15-minute Champions League hat-trick against RB Leipzig, and has nine goals in 14 United appearances, again making him the joint top-scorer.
Also, it is the sports personality of the year, so it's not just about performance that calendar year. In fact I think the BBC have made that very defence about people on their shortlist in the past. Certainly if you take Ryan Giggs winning it in 2009, he was getting it as a record breaker and old bloke in football, not as the best British footballer/sportsperson that year.

I can't think of a single reason he shouldn't get SPOTY. Both his sporting prowess and his campaign make him the de facto winner in my opinion. He deserves it more than any other sports personality I can think of.

Not like there's many other people knocking on the door after what has been a grim year for sport. BBC political bullshit again.

Maybe Lewis Hamilton, who has no personality and who left the country to avoid paying his taxes, will be more palatable to whoever decides these things.

Not like there's many other people knocking on the door after what has been a grim year for sport. BBC political bullshit again.

Maybe Lewis Hamilton, who has no personality and who left the country to avoid paying his taxes, will be more palatable to whoever decides these things.

That is near as damn it word for word what I came to post. Boring tax-dodger Lewis should have it next year if he makes it 8 wins.

My money is on Hamilton. I’m not a fan of his, but he has won 7 world championships. (Mainly due to having a car that is massively superior to the others rather than his genuine prowess, there’s a lot of drivers who could do as well driving his car)

Also, it is the sports personality of the year, so it's not just about performance that calendar year. In fact I think the BBC have made that very defence about people on their shortlist in the past. Certainly if you take Ryan Giggs winning it in 2009, he was getting it as a record breaker and old bloke in football, not as the best British footballer/sportsperson that year.
Yes, that is a simply not true from the BBC - this has always been the rubric:

Voted for by the public live during the TV show, this prestigious award will be given to the sportsman or woman whose actions have most captured the public's imagination...

My money is on Hamilton. I’m not a fan of his, but he has won 7 world championships. (Mainly due to having a car that is massively superior to the others rather than his genuine prowess, there’s a lot of drivers who could do as well driving his car)
Like Bottas?

He may be a boring tax dodging git from Stevenage but has been an icon for BLM in motor sport & elsewhere.

He may be a boring tax dodging git from Stevenage but has been an icon for BLM in motor sport & elsewhere.

He's just said A Thing about F1 and human rights, although whatever his concerns are on that score they're clearly not concerning enough for him to stop cashing the cheques.

Well, there's probably a space on the shortlist now. Tyson Fury tries to come off the list, with his usual good grace and self importance:
Of course if they are sticking to their made up line that spoty is purely about performance in the last 12 months, they still can't add Rashford

Well, there's probably a space on the shortlist now. Tyson Fury tries to come off the list, with his usual good grace and self importance:
Of course if they are sticking to their made up line that spoty is purely about performance in the last 12 months, they still can't add Rashford
But managed one year to give it to Ryan Giggs in a year in which he would have normally failed both the sportsman and personality criteria

Very shrewd that by Fury. He's successfully rebuilt his career, persona and image. He doesn't need the past dragging up again for a worthless trophy.

Very shrewd that by Fury. He's successfully rebuilt his career, persona and image. He doesn't need the past dragging up again for a worthless trophy.
Particularly as he's back in the spotlight over performance enhancing drugs (allegedly, paying off the boar meat farmer mentioned in the link). Very impressed how he came back from his addictions and he's certainly the best heavyweight in the world, probably by some distance. There's certainly a bit more maturity from him now as well, but he's still a cunt.

Back
Top Bottom