Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

I’m not sure there IS much dirt on Rashford. He’s 22 and he mostly hangs out with his Mum.

I think he came through the youth ranks at United, where they are very cosseted and watched so not much chance for youthful shennanigans either.

I reckon he’s about as close to squeaky clean as you can get.

I think that Dominic Cummings' administration may come to regret their attacks on young Rashford, who probably brings far more credit and respect to the UK than they do:

Racist responses to Marcus Rashford's campaign for children are no surprise

‘Attack line’ Tories deny ganging up on Marcus Rashford

_115039169_mirror-nc.png

_115039034_6126139a-f3c9-4a84-b669-26fa9aa951fe.png

School meals hero Marcus Rashfordmost trolled’ Premier League footballer

It was reported by a national newspaper that young Rashford had set up a company invest (some of) his earnings in the purchase of properties for rental in September 2017, at which point Rashford was a 19 years old; it was also reported that a separate company had been etablished as a vehicle for advertising and image rights deals. Another young international player, Dele Alli, was also reported to have esatblished a property investment company. The value of young Rashford's property company's assets were subsuquently reported as £2.5m in a national newspaper in August 2018.

These arrangements were not considered particularly noteworthy by the Daily Mail - or any other media at the time, although this may or may not be related to the fact that he had not yet embarrassed the state by successfully campaigning on behalf of hungry children.

Others will be better placed to say whether such arrangements are particularly novel or unusual among elite level premier league international footballers, or whether it is simply a case of the state's need to attempt to smear or otherwise discredit one particular individual who has so embarrassed them.

However, I do note that it is only a few months ago that that the politician who has presided over in excess of 50,000 Covid-19 related deaths tried to divert attention away from his own incompetence onto the role of footballers in funding the National Health Service.

Unfortunately for Cummings, Johnson and the Daily Mail, the value of young Rashford's savings and his investments and the name of the bank from which his companies borrow money are unlikely to divert attention from their treatment of people who have come from a background similar to his.

Three pages on investment and landlordism on a thread about a fight for free school meals.

Let The Mail set the agenda eh?

It's not about giving Rashford a free pass. It's about realising this is a racist newspaper grabbing anything it can to rubbish a bloke who's rubbished their government.

Pick your battles. Don't do their work for them.

Yes I agree with that. But what’s that got to do with Rashford buying to let? I’m not a big fan of that but I’m not gonna have a pop at Rashford for it
I made the point that leaving investment properties empty was a waste. You agreed with that. I did not mention buy to let. Then you said that you didn't say that when you clearly did.

:confused:

I can't be bothered arguing with you about this.

It is definitely wrong to buy property and to rent it out for profit. I don't personally detest anyone that does it and I can't really blame them in this society, and we are all hypocrites in many ways. It is something that should be thought about more though.
Hmm, that's quite generous, Bristol Echo. I am inclined to feel very blamy indeed over a willingness to unsee the rising misery of housing inequality, because the profits from a febrile, manufactured crisis are so delightfully...profitable.

I made the point that leaving investment properties empty was a waste. You agreed with that. I did not mention buy to let. Then you said that you didn't say that when you clearly did.

:confused:

I can't be bothered arguing with you about this.
Not sure why you said what you said then if it’s nowt to do with Rashford’s property investments. I only got stuck in cos people were trying to deny that he wasn’t investing in property but buying houses for his family, when that clearly wasn’t the case and Rashford himself has said so

Not sure why you said what you said then if it’s nowt to do with Rashford’s property investments. I only got stuck in cos people were trying to deny that he wasn’t investing in property but buying houses for his family, when that clearly wasn’t the case and Rashford himself has said so
One last try. I was making the point that a lot of property investments are not buy to let but buy & leave empty.

One last try. I was making the point that a lot of property investments are not buy to let but buy & leave empty.
Ah ok, did not think of that, but, as I already said, I had assume that investing in property meant buying to let and it seems I was correct to do so

Hmm, that's quite generous, Bristol Echo. I am inclined to feel very blamy indeed over a willingness to unsee the rising misery of housing inequality, because the profits from a febrile, manufactured crisis are so delightfully...profitable.

Yeah probably - in a good mood today. ;)

I think that we are ingrained from a young age to believe that property is there to be bought and profited from. There's 100's of TV programs on every week showing how it's done and how much money you can make. I'm probably being to kind, but I think it's something that it is so normalised that people don't see the problems straight away even if you've lived in it.

If you have money to invest then property is far and away the best place to put it

Are you authorised to give that sort of financial advice?

The best place to put it would be in a diverse portfolio that covers all four main asset classes. Which Rashford probably does.

When Rashford first started this thing, I must admit that my mind was at least open to the possibility :hmm: that this was just some celeb footballer grandstanding for kudos. Now, given the way he has conducted himself, both in terms of his campaigning and his response to the (inevitable) snarking, it is patently obvious that it is nothing of the sort - this is someone who hasn't just not forgotten his roots, but is validating them by saying (in terms), "I grew up poor, and I am using that experience to make myself a better person, and to make a difference to other poor people".

Against that, any criticism coming from the Government (or the Daily Mail) is going to have to be pretty unimpeachable to carry any weight with anyone who has an ounce of critical thinking ability. Even if Rashford was setting himself up as a private landlord, the idea of him being some kind of Rachman doesn't seem to me to fit with the fact that he has, without any urging other than his conscience, stuck his neck a long way above the parapet in his campaigning, in the almost certain knowledge that every action he takes from here on in is going to be subject to close, and cynical, scrutiny.

I don't quite share the prevailing "all landlords are bad" narrative, so maybe that helps, but going on his form elsewhere, my suspicion is that he could well be one of those landlords who isn't all about cutting corners, fleecing tenants, and MAKING £££ above all else.

School meals hero Marcus Rashfordmost trolled’ Premier League footballer

It was reported by a national newspaper that young Rashford had set up a company invest (some of) his earnings in the purchase of properties for rental in September 2017, at which point Rashford was a 19 years old; it was also reported that a separate company had been etablished as a vehicle for advertising and image rights deals. Another young international player, Dele Alli, was also reported to have esatblished a property investment company. The value of young Rashford's property company's assets were subsuquently reported as £2.5m in a national newspaper in August 2018.

These arrangements were not considered particularly noteworthy by the Daily Mail - or any other media at the time, although this may or may not be related to the fact that he had not yet embarrassed the state by successfully campaigning on behalf of hungry children.

Others will be better placed to say whether such arrangements are particularly novel or unusual among elite level premier league international footballers, or whether it is simply a case of the state's need to attempt to smear or otherwise discredit one particular individual who has so embarrassed them.

However, I do note that it is only a few months ago that that the politician who has presided over in excess of 50,000 Covid-19 related deaths tried to divert attention away from his own incompetence onto the role of footballers in funding the National Health Service.

Unfortunately for Cummings, Johnson and the Daily Mail, the value of young Rashford's savings and his investments and the name of the bank from which his companies borrow money are unlikely to divert attention from their treatment of people who have come from a background similar to his.

To use the modern parlance, it has now been "called out":

Mail on Sunday v Marcus Rashford: a sinister attack on a young black man

Can we expect a Mail exposé of some of the subversive literature Rashford will be indoctrinating the kids with in his footballer's fantasy-land of adequate nutrition?

The Hungry Caterpillar - encouraging children to eat their way to adulthood with some exceptionally poor dietary choices
The Wind in the Willows - feckless rodents protesting sensible country driving in attack on local gentry
The BFG - runaway teen in thrall to a grotesquely disfigured foreigner attempts to assassinate the Queen

To use the modern parlance, it has now been "called out":

Mail on Sunday v Marcus Rashford: a sinister attack on a young black man
Excellent piece

Because, if you take a broader view, the Mail on Sunday’s story is simply the latest escalation of the growing Stop Rashford movement, one begun by right-wing pundits and Conservative MPs on Twitter in recent weeks. Last month the Guido Fawkes website sardonically praised Rashford’s “ability to eloquently and magnanimously oppose verbal attacks on Tory MPs just minutes after the end of a football match”.

The subtext here – that a 23-year-old footballer should not habitually be capable of any of these traits – is familiar enough. And in a way, Rashford is the populist right’s worst nightmare: a young, black, working-class campaigner who bases his appeal not on culture war or tribal loyalty or fiery invective, but on unity, consensus, the common ground. He is a political campaigner who rejects party politics, rejects the idea that conflict and progress are the same thing, indeed refuses to acknowledge that there is anything remotely contentious or left-leaning about wanting hungry children fed. And – coincidence! – he gets things done.
Small wonder this country’s conservative establishment has come to see Rashford not as a fleeting irritation but as an existential threat: a man cheerfully exposing not just the worst privations of government austerity but our own snide and bickering political culture. Small wonder his personal finances and lifestyle choices are now considered fair game. If Rashford is allowed to succeed, who else might follow in his wake? Rashford did not choose this fight. But with unerring precision and a depressing alacrity, it has chosen him. Perhaps there’s something deeply depressing in the treatment of this decent and principled man by a section of the media that has always thrived on conflict, the vindictive urge to tear down, to expose, to disgrace. Rashford, you suspect, would see it as incontrovertible proof that he is winning.

Back
Top Bottom