Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

I'd piss with laughter if it turned out Rashford was letting these houses at way below market rates, just to house people who would have otherwise struggled. That'd mug more than a few of his critics off. 😂
Oh, the Mail would dig until it found an angle it could exploit, regardless. I think Rashford is striking a nice balance between engaging with this shit, and rising above it.

That was my first impression, given his remarks.
It's just fucking ridiculous to even start quibbling about all this when you consider the fucking amazing work he's already done. At age 23. More than 99% of nitpicking activist types ever achieve in their whole lives. He already gives up his time, his energy and his intellect to fighting for poor families and he uses his status to get things done. He doesn't have to do any of this, and the fact he still does when he's occupying a millionaires' world of comfort speaks volumes of his decency as a human being. Fat too many are quick to forget where they come from when the money comes in.

And he buys a few homes out of it for his family or as an investment for his family in the future, who gives a fuck?

And he buys a few homes out of it for his family or as an investment for his family in the future, who gives a fuck?
It's just about consistency. Many people think both millionaires and landlords* shouldn't exist, so it would be hypocritical if suddenly we give someone a pass because we like one of them.

He should be, and has been, commended for all he's done and the way he's conducted himself, few are disputing that.

Personally I don't think that's fucking ridiculous, it's just a three-dimensional reading of a three-dimensional human.

*I'm honestly still not clear if Rashford is planning on renting them, so I'm personally not currently laying that at his feet at this point, just mentioning it because it's come up on the thread.

It's just about consistency. Many people think both millionaires and landlords* shouldn't exist, so it would be hypocritical if suddenly we give someone a pass because we like one of them.

He should be, and has been, commended for all he's done and the way he's conducted himself, few are disputing that.

Personally I don't think that's fucking ridiculous, it's just a three-dimensional reading of a three-dimensional human.

*I'm honestly still not clear if Rashford is planning on renting them, so I'm personally not currently laying that at his feet at this point, just mentioning it because it's come up on the thread.
What are these standards of consistency that a 23 year old has to supposedly live up to? Who wrote them?

This is classic left-infighting fucking bullshit. He's making a fucking huge difference to millions of families in poverty and some people are getting all uptight about whether he's 'consistent' enough for their liking and their personal brand of politics.

What are these standards of consistency that a 23 year old has to supposedly live up to? Who wrote them
It's not about his consistency, it's about ours:
Many people think both millionaires and landlords* shouldn't exist, so it would be hypocritical if suddenly we give someone a pass because we like one of them.
If you're cool with some people being millionaires and landlords, fair enough, that's up to you, but for those of us who aren't, to be consistent we can't give him a pass on those because of all the good stuff he has done. It can't be "alright when Marcus does it" because we like him.

I've always shared BristolEcho's sentiment that if anyone is to get the money from football then it should be the footballers, as they are the 'workers' generating the revenue in this situation. But, the amount of revenue they're generating and thus the wages they get are, in our society, absurd.

For what it's worth, I'm also not a fan of the honours system so not thrilled he took the MBE, but he's 23 and, crucially, isn't me. But if I were to turn round and say "yes, well, I am against the honours system but it's ok when Marcus does it" then I would, frankly, sound ridiculous.

Otherwise it seems like it's not about our own system of values, but just about who we do and don't like.

What are these standards of consistency that a 23 year old has to supposedly live up to? Who wrote them?

This is classic left-infighting fucking bullshit. He's making a fucking huge difference to millions of families in poverty and some people are getting all uptight about whether he's 'consistent' enough for their liking and their personal brand of politics.

What are you going on about? What ‘left-infighting’ are you talking about? Are you suggesting that because Rashford has successfully (and impressively) campaigned for free school dinners he gets a free pass as a landlord? This idea that some multi-millionaires should be beyond reproach, because they’ve done a good thing is a nonsense. Lots of millionaires campaign/crusade/give chunks of cash away. So what....

I don't think anyone's even gone in particularly hard on Rashford. Everyone's acknowledged he's done some brilliant and incredibly important work.

We're simply, at the same time as the above, acknowledging there are aspects of his life which do not sit well with our beliefs.

Certainly, I don't begrudge him his wealth as much as I do someone who inherited it or someone who acts like a cunt with it, but I still think the existence of millionaires creates an unequal society. That's all.

Rashford’s campaign is just so simple and plain. He’s consistent in that he just wants to use whatever influence football gives him to help poor children, that’s it. Even if he were falling out of nightclubs and snorting coke off hooker’s tits it wouldn’t take away from what he’s doing, but of course he’s not doing those things cos he’s not that person. And this drives the Mail and their types over then edge.

It's not about his consistency, it's about ours:

This, in a nutshell. Rashford has clearly been adopted as ‘one of us’ thereby meaning even when he’s wrong it can be dissembled that he’s right (‘maybe he’s got the houses for the family’ or ‘maybe he’s giving them away to the less fortunate’ type of speculation) or worse that millionaires are inevitable and we should just accept it and how they spend their money to accumulate even more.

I don't think anyone's even gone in particularly hard on Rashford. Everyone's acknowledged he's done some brilliant and incredibly important work.

We're simply, at the same time as the above, acknowledging there are aspects of his life which do not sit well with our beliefs.

Certainly, I don't begrudge him his wealth as much as I do someone who inherited it or someone who acts like a cunt with it, but I still think the existence of millionaires creates an unequal society. That's all.

Nobody has gone in hard on him. Every contribution has pointed out the agenda of the Mail (race/Tory party dirty work/rank hypocrisy that gives other landlord scum a free pass). Every contribution has acknowledged his campaigning work. But it’s possible that all of this is true (and even that his personal values are commendable, to some on here) and that landlordism is shit and should be condemned.

This, in a nutshell. Rashford has clearly been adopted as ‘one of us’ thereby meaning even when he’s wrong it can be dissembled that he’s right (‘maybe he’s got the houses for the family’ or ‘maybe he’s giving them away to the less fortunate’ type of speculation) or worse that millionaires are inevitable and we should just accept it and how they spend their money to accumulate even more.

Oh fuck off.

What would you do in his position? A hungry, poor kid, who Man U picks up and ends up paying multiple millions just fior doing what comes naturally to you?

And some of them are less hungry cos of Rashford. Again, what would you do with those millions if you had his talent?

You seem to think that he had no choice but to become a landlord. He/any other millionaire could just look after their family and mates and community and, ya know, not seek to keep accumulating more. It’s not like he needs to save for a rainy day is it?

You seem to think that he had no choice but to become a landlord. He/any other millionaire could just look after their family and mates and community and, ya know, not seek to keep accumulating more. It’s not like he needs to save for a rainy day is it?
So we do know for a fact he is a landlord?

If you had the talent he has and Man U was paying you multiple millions, what would you do with it? I take it that you are aware that sticking it in a bank account is unsafe? So how would you store it or are you going to claim you would distribute it?

Back
Top Bottom