Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

Have you seen the figures and letting contracts?

Should he play for Man Utd on minimum wage so he is 'valid' to you?

Because capitalism is broken should all people earning a certain wage stop spending it?

What have you/we done about the school meals issue? Signed an online petition? Retweeted something? Moaned to a mate about the Tories while having a joint?

I'm glad players earn a large amount of the money they help to generate, but the industry is grotesque.

Owning multiple properties and becoming a landlord is fucked and is something we should stand against. Rich people should definitely be held accountable for the way they spend their money as poor people are criticised for it every day.

The article wasn't about that though and this isn't what it's about for the Mail. It's because Rashford had the audacity to stand against the government and also their usual racist shit. Fuck the Mail.

I can't blame Rashford for doing this as property is pushed as a good way to make money. He, and more importantly others might consider it differently in the future. We are assuming these are being rented out though which they might not be anyway.

Calling out people on their lack of "action" when they don't have the platform of a multi millionaire isn't on. It's not exactly a level playing field is it? I'm sure Rashford will go on and do a lot more good too.

It’s possible to think:

1. Marcus Rashford has done a good thing by campaigning around food poverty.
2. That the DM are scum whose horror at one landlord is entirely bogus and generated by racism and more directly a hit job on behalf of the Tories. A quick scan of their output with reveal that not all landlords are held to the same - or even any - ethical standards, and;
3. That Rashford is grotesquely overpaid and is exploiting his wealth, adding to it via renting out property to making money off the back of people who pay rent to him.

He’s got a conscience and a class background that marks him out amongst other multi millionaires. But like all multi millionaires his conscience has its contingencies
I can’t disagree with that tbh and the same applies to other football players , who I applaud, that have made significant donations to projects here and in their home countries . I wish him well however the real battleground/ challenge for me is working class self help independent of the charity business and philanthropy. He’s an ally but where we can we have to do it ourselves .

I know a shitload of academics who raced to buy property as an investment' for their pension', thereby increasing the unsustainable property bubble which has disfigured our social landscape.. Becoming part of the parasite rentier class does, I'am afraid, tend to cancel previous good deeds (imo). V.disappointed that Rashford has not simply bought a few nice gaffs for his fam but instead wishes to expoit a class of renters (and this, despite having immense personal wealth).

How many footballers (and bankers and property developers and MPs and business owners and media people and others) have the same money as Rashford?

Rather than have a pop at him (via a Mail clickbait ffs) perhaps society should change as a whole? It won't though and at least he is doing some good.
Ah, I feel absolutely entitled to 'have a pop' at any member of the landlord class regardless of whatever good deeds or otherwise they have previously done. Michael Heseltine is a deeply committed gardener...but still a cunt.
And, as it happens, I do reserve my most embittered rage at those who simply expect to receive financial rewards entirely because of manipulation of capital. I am pretty sure there are other, socially conscious 'investments' which could be made without falling back on the most pernicious and unfair mode of property owning.

'perhaps society should change'
well yes...and abolishing private ownership of land and property would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
Ah, I feel absolutely entitled to 'have a pop' at any member of the landlord class regardless of whatever good deeds or otherwise they have previously done. Michael Heseltine is a deeply committed gardener...but still a cunt.
And, as it happens, I do reserve my most embittered rage at those who simply expect to receive financial rewards entirely because of manipulation of capital. I am pretty sure there are other, socially conscious 'investments' which could be made without falling back on the most pernicious and unfair mode of property owning.
I feel the same.

I am assuming that the Wail clickbait is 100% accurate yes? We know this?

The mail highlighting landlordism and the excesses of the Prem League and by extension the player's wages? The fucking nerve of them, all of that shit is 'theirs', it's their dirty capitalist money game, the private enterprise they drone on about. They are the hypocritical cunts in this story.

Fwiw, I do wish Rashford would keep away from landlordism or the property market, if that's what he is doing. I'm not really sure what the 'ethical' way for an ultra rich person to live their life is, not sure there is one. Most of all it's not a debate to get into as it starts substituting personal morals for political analysis.

Fwiw, I do wish Rashford would keep away from landlordism or the property market, if that's what he is doing. I'm not really sure what the 'ethical' way for an ultra rich person to live their life is, not sure there is one. Most of all it's not a debate to get into as it starts substituting personal morals for political analysis.

None of us are untainted by the system we live in sadly. It's just an easy for the likes of the mail to sow division in people as they fight against it. Energy gets wasted trying to be ideologically pure.

Strikes me that there must have been or a whole lot of scuttling about from journalists who really and very badly want to discredit Marcus Rashford.
Imagine how incredibly sickened they must be if this is the best they could come up with - he's done what all Daily Mail readers do or aspire to doing.

No gangs, no drugs, no guns, no beating women up, no fathering of lots of different children to a variety of women, no fiddling his taxes, no falling out of clubs drunk as a skunk, no fighting, no anti social behaviour, no thuggery, no vandalism, no criminal record, no nothing at all of what they all think young black oiks do.
And he's NORTHERN! That'll make it worse, tha knaws.

Go on about landlordism all you want but you're missing the point and the context of this story.

Which is Rashford is black, and he's pissed off the government. And the Daily Mail is a racist Establishment shit-rag.
O I think this is indisputable...but nevertheless, I still felt a tad disappointed that, yet again, an utterly destructive property bubble encourages the amassing of property as an investment. This does not negate the previous good things (and I apologise for being a bit pissed off) but equally does not excuse the easy assumption of profit through landlordism. And yes, I realise the world is complicated and good people do bad things...but what would be the point of waffling on to forum randoms if we had to consider every nuance of every action across time and space.

O I think this is indisputable...but nervertheless, I still felt a tad disappointed that, yet again, an utterly destructive property bubble encourages the amassing of property as an investment. This does not negate the previouys good things (and I apologise for being a bit pissed off) but equally does not excuse the easy assumption of profit through landlordism. And yes, I realise the world is complicated and good people do bad things...but what would be the point of waffling on to forum randoms if we had to consider every nuance of every action across time and space.
So we do know 100% that these are being rented out for top market prices?

Back
Top Bottom