Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

editor

hiraethified
A real inspiration and maybe a future politician? Hope so as he speaks the kind of language I like.

Marcus Rashford has called on the government to reverse a decision not to provide free school meal vouchers during the summer, saying that "the system isn't built for families like mine to succeed".

The Manchester United and England forward has raised about £20m to supply three million meals to vulnerable people while working with charity FareShare UK during the coronavirus lockdown.

Campaigners have threatened to bring legal action against the government for not extending the food voucher scheme into the summer holidays.

In an emotional open letter to MPs drawing on his own experiences of relying on free school meals and food banks growing up, Rashford said his story is "all too familiar for families in England".

Speaking to BBC Breakfast about the letter, Rashford, 22, said: "It's written from the heart and it's about how my life was at the moment - the letter is to open up and let people understand the impact on families and to know I've done the right thing.

"What families are going through now, I've once had to go through that - and it's very difficult to find a way out. It's very important for me to help people who are struggling. Whether the outcome changes or doesn't change - that's why I wrote it."

Tory cunts.

It's sobering to realise that Rashford was 12 when Cameron got in. A child who bore the brunt of austerity and now campaigns as an adult. I feel old.

Tory cunts.
Where his family are from Wythenshaw , austerity kicked in way before that , from the 80s onwards . He donated a signed matchball to a fund raising night for a friend of mine (City supporter as it goes) who had cancer and needed treatment in the states.

Where his family are from Wythenshaw , austerity kicked in way before that , from the 80s onwards . He donated a signed matchball to a fund raising night for a friend of mine (City supporter as it goes) who had cancer and needed treatment in the states.

Saw him speaking on the Beeb this morning. Knows what it's like to go without and now wants to do something for others in that situation. Sets an example for us all.

A now very rich footballer who is doing more than most of the wider left, etc. our local labour party put out a call and to help with the crisis, i don't think it got many helpers.

Good for him,

There was talk of Sol Campbell running as a Tory for London mayor. Can't remember who got the gig in the end...

Rashford vows to push on with the campaign despite the decision of the ministry of education to stop the meals at the end of term.
It’s so obvious the scumbags don’t need any more voters for a few years.
All power to Marcus.

Back
Top Bottom