Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Football and coronavirus

Apparantly UEFA have written to their members tonight to tell them a concrete plan to bring games back in July/ August will be devised by mid-May . Hints at annoyance at unilateral decision of Belgium to end league season which still has one game to go, and also the Netherlands for placing a deadline. "Any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified,"
One of the scenarios envisages playing remaining European games once domestic leagues have been played to a satisfactory finish. So Champions League not before August, if at all.
Reminder to those that want to void season that it's UEFA that decides who plays in its competitions and nobody else.

Without being able to guarantee that next season could be completed on time and without any interruptions, there is no point declaring this season null and void. Why would next season fare any better given further outbreaks and lockdowns are almost inevitable?

I think we need to accept that the traditional August-May season is out of the window for the foreseeable future. Until this Covid business is under control, the football season lasts for 38 league games, with an additional number of cup games played across various cup competitions, and is played to completion as outside events allow.

Reminder to those that want to void season that it's UEFA that decides who plays in its competitions and nobody else.
Not true. The FA decides who goes into the UEFA competitions. Hence the occasional debate on whether FA cup winners should get a Champions League place.

Last edited:
Without being able to guarantee that next season could be completed on time and without any interruptions, there is no point declaring this season null and void. Why would next season fare any better given further outbreaks and lockdowns are almost inevitable?

I think we need to accept that the traditional August-May season is out of the window for the foreseeable future. Until this Covid business is under control, the football season lasts for 38 league games, with an additional number of cup games played across various cup competitions, and is played to completion as outside events allow.
Nulling and voiding isn't on the table as yet and is unlikley to be imo due not least to potential legal action.

Not true. The FA decides who goes into the UEFA competitions. Hence the occasional debate on whether FA cup winners should get a Champions League place.
No, 39thStep is right. UEFA competitions are by invitation. The FA might be able to request a change to the numbers of teams going into each competition but ultimately it will be down to UEFA.

I'm going to partially agree and partially disagree. The FA get to decide within the framework of EUFA competition rules and guidance.

West Brom and Leeds would be straight to court if the season stops with no promotion.
There will be very little basis for legal action tho. Members of the league sign up to the rules and if the league committee decide to void season there’s fuck all anyone can do. Why only Leeds and WBA anyway, they aren’t assured of promotion, and as I’ve said previously Leeds were just about to have their usual implosion.

We should just cancel next season (20/21) and then take our time finishing this seasons fixtures. Any spare time could be used up playing freindlies between Prem/Championship sides v Lge 1&2/Non Lge and local competitions, gate receipts to lower league funds and other good causes.

I'm dreaming of course.

Both the EPL and Championsip have said that voiding is the least favourable option. However all leagues below the National League have already been voided with no promtion or relegation. Belgium League has finished prematurely with places decided. In the Dutch league several clubs including the top two and fourth placed have called for the league to be anadoned with the Dutch League saying they want to complete the fixtures. Several national football associations will meet with teams early next week for further discussions.

Is a scenario feasible where Liverpool are awarded the league but West Brom don't get promoted? Or Norwich relegated?

Anything is possible but personally I think the approach has to be consistent, whatever eventually happens.

If I had to guess I think the season will ultimately be abandoned. I know that's seen as the least favourable option but my guess is that's the way things will move the longer this goes on for, and it's likely to go on for a fair while. The longer it takes and the more bodies are seen coming out of makeshift hospitals the less important finishing the season will seem. Things like 'but clubs will take legal action' will disappear over time - I don't think it will be seen as acceptable ultimately.

Obviously just me speculating but I have heard things are starting to move that way a bit in Italy already, due to the currently much worse situation there.

If I had to guess I think the season will ultimately be abandoned. I know that's seen as the least favourable option but my guess is that's the way things will move the longer this goes on for, and it's likely to go on for a fair while. The longer it takes and the more bodies are seen coming out of makeshift hospitals the less important finishing the season will seem.
I think pressure will grow to abandon it too, but it makes no sense unless the 20/21 season is certain to start and finish on time. Which it isn’t.

I think the collective mindset needs to be led towards one of playing when possible and shutting down when necessary. Seasons will be open-ended, but at least there will be some sport being played. It’s obviously not a priority relatively speaking, but for many people it offers an enjoyable diversion.

I think pressure will grow to abandon it too, but it makes no sense unless the 20/21 season is certain to start and finish on time. Which it isn’t.

I think the collective mindset needs to be led towards one of playing when possible and shutting down when necessary. Seasons will be open-ended, but at least there will be some sport being played. It’s obviously not a priority relatively speaking, but for many people it offers an enjoyable diversion.
This the dliemna , does the thinking start with finsihing this season or does it start with how do we start next season.There's all sorts of wild and wonderful ideas being pushed. In Portugal one proposal being considered is to move all the games to the Algarve, players kept isolated in the empty hotels there and play out the rest of the season in a competition behind closed doors.There's plenty of lower league grounds that could be used in addition to the Algarve Stadium and Portimonense's ground.

Yes, I read somewhere that the PL have considered moving the teams to China to complete the season, so at least irony isn’t dying on it’s arse.

More likely that they’ll finish this season behind closed doors, for legal reasons as much as sporting, then start again on a rolling basis. The 2022 World Cup being in winter might help in that it could be used to reset to a seasonal timeline if possible by then.

Yes, I read somewhere that the PL have considered moving the teams to China to complete the season, so at least irony isn’t dying on it’s arse.

More likely that they’ll finish this season behind closed doors, for legal reasons as much as sporting, then start again on a rolling basis. The 2022 World Cup being in winter might help in that it could be used to reset to a seasonal timeline if possible by then.
More on that UEFA letter

Competitions that do not exhaust all options to reach a conclusion were warned there were likely to be consequences.

“Any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified. Since participation in UEFA club competitions is determined by the sporting result achieved at the end of a full domestic competition, a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfillment of such condition,”

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin spoke to Germany's ZDF channel this morning and said

"The Belgians and any others who might be thinking about (cancelation) now are risking their participation in European competitions next season."

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin spoke to Germany's ZDF channel this morning and said

"The Belgians and any others who might be thinking about (cancelation) now are risking their participation in European competitions next season."
If yo hold UEFA presents in any type of esteem you are barking.

No, 39thStep is right. UEFA competitions are by invitation. The FA might be able to request a change to the numbers of teams going into each competition but ultimately it will be down to UEFA.
UEFA invite so many teams from each FA, the make up of those teams was determined by the individual FA's. it now seems tan UEAF are getting all Billy Big bollocks about this and making them selves look even bigger cunts than they already were.

OK just to clear up the EPL decides who in the CL/Europa League v its invite ony discussion.. Here's what the UEFA regulations say for both:

Champions League

Article 3 Entries for the competition

3.01 UEFA member associations (hereinafter associations) may enter a certain numberof clubs for the competition through their top domestic championship, inaccordance with the association coefficient rankings, drawn up in accordancewith Annex D. No more than four clubs may qualify for the competition througheach domestic championship. These rankings also determine the associations’positions in the access list ( Annex A), which in turn determines the stage at whicheach club enters the competition.
3.02 Associations are represented on the following basis
a. one representative: winner of the top domestic championship
b. two representatives: winner and runner-up of the top domestic championship;
c. three representatives: winner, runner-up and third-placed club in the topdomestic championship;
d. four representatives: winner, runner-up, third- and fourth-placed clubs in thetop domestic championship

3.03The UEFA Champions League titleholder is guaranteed a place in the group stageeven if it does not qualify for the competition through its domestic championship.If the UEFA Champions League titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Europa Leaguethrough one of its domestic competitions, the number of places to which itsassociation is entitled in the UEFA Europa League is decreased by one. The created vacancy is rebalanced accordingly and priority for the UEFA EuropaLeague is given to the domestic cup winners (in accordance with the entry stageas per the access list)

Europa Lague

3.02Associations are represented on the following basis:a. one representative: winner of the domestic cup;
b. two representatives: the winner of the domestic cup and the club whichfinishes the top domestic championship immediately below the club whichqualifies for the UEFA Champions League;
c. three representatives: the winner of the domestic cup and the two clubs whichfinish the top domestic championship immediately below the club(s) whichqualify for the UEFA Champions League.

3.03In special circumstances, the winner of another official domestic competition maybe entered for the UEFA Europa League in place of the lowest ranking topdomestic championship representative referred to in Paragraph 3.02(c), providedsuch a competition has been approved by UEFA before the start of the season inquestion (see Annex A).

OK just to clear up the EPL decides who in the CL/Europa League v its invite ony discussion.. Here's what the UEFA regulations say for both:

Champions League

Europa Lague
It doesn’t describe how this champions are decided, so it doesn’t preclude deciding a league as Belgium have done.

How to win friends and influence people, in a time of crisis is to think of nothing but myself especially as I cannot ply my trade.

Its a complicated business with competing strands of interest and neither the PFA or the EPL are covering themselves with glory in how they respond to the effects of the corona crisis .The real issue here is the relationship of TV monies and whether the season is completed or not. If the season was to be null and voided ( this is the worse case scenario) then the EPL will have to reimburse those who bought the TV rights for games unplayed. The figures would obviously be subject to some form of protracted negotiations but the ball park is around are something like £750m, £480m to Sky/BT and £270 to overseas TV companies. Some Euro broadcasters like Bein Sports are already are already approaching Leagues to discuss reimbursement. Hence the EPL demands on players salary reduction is to plug a large gap in what a null and void decision means for all clubs in the EPL. The hit for each club varies from £55m ( Liverpool) to Norwich's £15m. So this isn't about It isn't about money to the NHS ( the £20m donation might well be a sincere gesture by the EPL but its not the main issue). The PFA's stance , although it may well be a negotiating stance and it is also one that has some sympathy apparently within govt circles, is that a cut of 30% is actually a loss of tax revenue to the govt that could be spent on the NHS. Therefore the PFA are demanding a bigger donation to the NHS from the EPL whilst they consult their members. There is rumoured to be a collective or attempts at a collective response from players through Jordan Henderson re a donation to either the NHS or aid for corona virus outside that of some EPL clubs, ie Chelsea, Man City etc have already made.

The financial bomb that will hit the EPL is the season is null and void explains the proposals to try and play out the season behind closed doors ie this is the best case scenario for the EPL. Initially it could have opened up more games being sold to mitigate no revenue from match attendance perhaps even trying to remove the 3 o'clock KO restrictions . However now ,that could be seen as profiteering .That could still go ahead however I think they and the broadcasters would be under some pressure to donate some revenue from that to the NHS.

The decision for some clubs to furlough non playing staff and apply for govt monies has been the subject of some criticism however businesses with billion pound turnover shave done exactly the same thing from British Airways, Virgin to MacDonalds.

The PFA's stance , although it may well be a negotiating stance and it is also one that has some sympathy apparently within govt circles, is that a cut of 30% is actually a loss of tax revenue to the govt that could be spent on the NHS. Therefore the PFA are demanding a bigger donation to the NHS from the EPL whilst they consult their members. There is rumoured to be a collective or attempts at a collective response from players through Jordan Henderson re a donation to either the NHS or aid for corona virus outside that of some EPL clubs, ie Chelsea, Man City etc have already made.
It's an odd argument but I suspect this crisis is going to focus some people's minds on the obscene amounts of money that footballers get and what they give back.

It's an odd argument but I suspect this crisis is going to focus some people's minds on the obscene amounts of money that footballers get and what they give back.
I wouldnt necessarily single out footballers for obscene amounts of money and giving back tbh. At least in football there are some players that use their money for some excellent schemes that benefit ordinary people .

Back
Top Bottom