Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Football and coronavirus

Aside from the viability, I'm not even sure what the point is if there are no fans. Who is it for? It's not like there's a TV audience like there is for the higher leagues. At the lower levels the emphasis should be on protecting the clubs and if that means mothballing the whole thing for a bit then do that rather than keeping on for the sake of it.

This is being discussed on the Peckham Town thread as well, but I thought it should be here, in case people don't look at that.

FA guidance here. Updated guidelines for return of spectators in steps three to six of National League System and tiers three to four of Women's Football Pyramid

Steps 3 and 4 can admit 15% of the minimum required capacity for that grade.

At Step 4, that seems to be 1,300, so that's 195 allowed. Once they've played one home game under that rule, it rises to 30%, so 390. The phased approach seems like a good idea to give clubs a chance to set out rules and have a practice run.

At my club, that seems OK. 195 is more than we normally get, and certainly once it rises to 390 there's an opportunity to make a few quid from local premier league fans who are desperate for a game. I haven't seen anything on this from the club yet though. We are a little handicapped as our pitch is being relaid, so all of our pre-season friendlies are away, so our first game at home may not be for a while.

It's a bit odd that the limit is based on the minimum requirements for each step, rather than the ground's actual capacity (there must be a fire regs limit or similar for each ground) but giving each club the same limit will be "fair" is the reasoning, I assume.

Happy days.

Does anyone know when fixtures are coming out?

I mean I still don't know whether I'll be able to go even though I've bought a season ticket, but it would be nice to know when the games are at least.

Does anyone know when fixtures are coming out?

I mean I still don't know whether I'll be able to go even though I've bought a season ticket, but it would be nice to know when the games are at least.
who do you support? Football League fixtures came out today. Reading have Derby away, first game. Winchester City - not announced yet. Premier league? pfft. who cares?

who do you support? Football League fixtures came out today. Reading have Derby away, first game. Winchester City - not announced yet. Premier league? pfft. who cares?
I'm Charlton. Looked on the website and they aren't up yet. I'll have a look elsewhere!

All 28 Premier League fixtures in September will be televised live, with Leicester City's home match against Burnley to be broadcast on the BBC.

Sky Sports and BT Sport had already selected 17 games across the first three rounds of matches in the new season, which starts on Saturday.

Of the remaining 11, Sky will show six, BT Sport three, and the BBC and Amazon Prime will broadcast one each.

Leicester and Burnley will meet on 20 September with kick-off at 19:00 BST.

In a statement, the Premier League said it was "in discussions with BBC Radio 5 Live and Talksport to agree a similar solution for radio".

It added that it was "considering appropriate arrangements" for matches in October.

Re-introduction of spectators into football grounds - planned for 1st October - now postponed due to 2nd wave of Coronavirus.

:(

Re-introduction of spectators into football grounds - planned for 1st October - now postponed due to 2nd wave of Coronavirus.

:(
Get down to your local non-league club for a fix. Steps 3 down are open for business. Sensible measures, tracking, card payment etc. The magic of the Cup. I doubt it'll last long.

We had a crowd of 210 tonight - average last season was 164.

Alcohol spray used on a football club's coach to protect against coronavirus left the driver unable to take players and staff to an away match.
Oxford United had to change at their hotel and travel to their game at Accrington Stanley by car.
It is thought some of the spray in the air was picked up by a device that stops the coach driver starting the vehicle if alcohol has been consumed.

A lot of people not happy about this. Mostly Sky Sports/BT Sport subscribers who've already paid ridiculous subs. But hey, those are the breaks. And that is why I no longer follow the premier league with any real interest. Certainly not enough to merit paying Murdoch a penny piece to watch a bunch of tycoon/oil money owned PL teams kick a ball about.

A lot of people not happy about this. Mostly Sky Sports/BT Sport subscribers who've already paid ridiculous subs. But hey, those are the breaks. And that is why I no longer follow the premier league with any real interest. Certainly not enough to merit paying Murdoch a penny piece to watch a bunch of tycoon/oil money owned PL teams kick a ball about.

I think when football returns to normal we will see very few games at their 3pm slot and way more on TV/Subscriptions. City have Robins TV all set up which screen the game at 3pm and prior to lockdown you could stream 3pm games already if you lived abroad. I reckon clubs would be keen to keep that stuff going even with the return of fans.

There have been slow chipping away at this for ages.

Back
Top Bottom