Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Football and coronavirus

Manchester City say they are disappointed after defender Benjamin Mendy breached Covid-19 rules by hosting a New Year's Eve party.

A spokesperson for the France international said the 26-year-old held a dinner party with guests from outside his household.
The mixing of households indoors is banned under the UK government's tier four restrictions.

City said they would conduct an internal investigation.

Mendy was named on the bench for City's Premier League game away to Chelsea on Sunday (16:30 GMT).

"While it is understood that elements of this incident have been misinterpreted in the reports [carried by newspapers earlier], and that the player has publicly apologised for his error, the club is disappointed to learn of the transgression and will be conducting an internal investigation," the club said in a statement.

More from Man City :rolleyes:

IMG_20210108_060637.jpg

Not surprised Everton feel a bit hard done by here. Given that Kyle Walker was (again) hosting lockdown parties and the fact that City have a massive squad.

Likely nothing will come of it.

The auction of UK broadcast rights for the 2022-25 seasons will begin later this year and is expected to be a contest between the current holders – Sky, BT and Amazon.

However, much has changed since the biggest prize in UK sports broadcasting last came up for grabs in 2018 and

experts say the value of Premier League matches could sink by £500m or more from a total of £4.5bn last time round.

I'll park this here because there doesn't seem to be a general atrocious football game thread but if anyone's tempted to watch the Copa Libertadores Final Palmeiras v Santos on BBC iPlayer don't bother. I've seen better matches in the early FA Cup rounds by non-league teams. When players do go past the defender they're kicked or elbowed (mainly by Santos players). Nice bit of skill at 90:40 as the defender gets kicked in the head.

Most entertaining bit is 94:30 with the manager in the Madonna and holy baby teeshirt is sent off, and then worth watching to 100:00. Only one more juicy foul after that until the end at 14 minutes of added time.

To make it vaguely coronavirus-related, I was surprised that all the supporters seemed to be concentrated into one stand, lots of people without masks.

I'll park this here because there doesn't seem to be a general atrocious football game thread but if anyone's tempted to watch the Copa Libertadores Final Palmeiras v Santos on BBC iPlayer don't bother. I've seen better matches in the early FA Cup rounds by non-league teams. When players do go past the defender they're kicked or elbowed (mainly by Santos players). Nice bit of skill at 90:40 as the defender gets kicked in the head.

Most entertaining bit is 94:30 with the manager in the Madonna and holy baby teeshirt is sent off, and then worth watching to 100:00. Only one more juicy foul after that until the end at 14 minutes of added time.

To make it vaguely coronavirus-related, I was surprised that all the supporters seemed to be concentrated into one stand, lots of people without masks.
The Palmeiras manager is Portuguese and the ‘highlights’ were on a sports site, looked absolutely dire .

I used to love watching South American football on C4 (or 5?) In the early hours when I was in school. This was when Robinho and Diego were coming through and I used to think it was cool to know all this stuff to impress my mates with at school. Most of it obviously lifted from Football manager. I watched the Boca game the other day and it wasn't great!

Again not really C19 related but the leak of Messi's contract and salary is a bit of a shocker.

No wonder Barca are looking towards bankruptcy in this climate :eek:

What are the details?

According to El Mundo, Messi would receive a maximum of €555,237,619 ($673,919,105) over four seasons, if a series of conditions were met.

Including image rights, the report explains that Messi was paid a €115m renewal bonus and a €77m loyalty bonus split into two payments -- as revealed by ESPN in November.

Messi is also said to earn around €72m annually in addition to add-ons for playing more than 60% of games throughout the course of a season, Champions League progression, winning La Liga or the Copa del Rey and winning FIFA's The Best.

A number of those performance-related add-ons have not been met and it should also be noted that Messi accepted a salary cut when the coronavirus pandemic first affected football last March.

Therefore, he will not earn the full €555m written into the contract, which expires on June 30.

I don't blame Messi but the game is absolutely fucked. This is covid related really as the bubble will eventually burst and all of this has a knock on effect across other leagues.

I don't blame Messi but the game is absolutely fucked. This is covid related really as the bubble will eventually burst and all of this has a knock on effect across other leagues.
Yeah. The club are cashing in on him and so he cashes in on the club so not a surprise. The game needed a smack in the mouth a long time ago, none more that the big 'spender/borrowing' clubs across all leagues.

More on Barca here:

I also found it somewhat offputting that the sponsor's name was all over their shirts, including where the players' names normally are. Which made it look like all members of one team were all called Crefisa and the others were called Philco. There was also a rotating car being advertised on a plinth behind the goals which seemed a bit incongruous.

Taken with the absolute crapness of the football (I should have mentioned some petulance and good quality diving) it's clear what their priorities are.

According to El Mundo, Messi would receive a maximum of €555,237,619 ($673,919,105) over four seasons, if a series of conditions were met.

Including image rights, the report explains that Messi was paid a €115m renewal bonus and a €77m loyalty bonus split into two payments -- as revealed by ESPN in November.

Messi is also said to earn around €72m annually in addition to add-ons for playing more than 60% of games throughout the course of a season, Champions League progression, winning La Liga or the Copa del Rey and winning FIFA's The Best.

A number of those performance-related add-ons have not been met and it should also be noted that Messi accepted a salary cut when the coronavirus pandemic first affected football last March.

Therefore, he will not earn the full €555m written into the contract, which expires on June 30.

You wouldn't want to be Ronaldo's agent today with that coming out would you?

National Leagues North and South deciding tomorrow what will happen to the rest of the season.

Financial help from the Dept of Culture, Media & Sport is in the form of loans rather than grants.

I have a feeling they'll vote to null & void the season. :(

Dynamic risk assessment made. Meanwhile here they are waiting for a report into the Chelsea ManCity situation where there was little or no enforcement of wearing masks and observing social distancing . The must vaunted bubble where supporters would fly in and out within 24 hours ended up being swamped by thousands who arrived independently most without tickets 72 hours before the game .

Back
Top Bottom