Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Flight to Nowhere!

It's always about the journey isn't it? Like life.
Getting to your final destination is usually shite.

Departing Sydney on 10 October, the ‘Great Southern Land’ scenic flight will feature low-level flybys of some of the Australia’s most iconic landmarks including Uluru, Kata Tjuta, the Whitsundays, Gold Coast, Byron Bay and Sydney Harbour.

This doesn't sound so bad, and the Antarctica flight sounds even better, though obviously you wouldn't want to be stuck in the seats in the middle of the plane.

I love flying, love it to bits but I wouldn't go on a jumbo jet flight unless it was to actually go somewhere.

Especially if it meant I had to go to the airport which is the shittest most soul destroying aspect of the holiday.

Nobody blinks an eye at sightseeing tours on coaches or steam trains or whatever, sightseeing flights over Antarctica or the Grand Canyon or the Himalayas sound much more exciting, although unfortunately more polluting and probably a lot more dangerous.
Sightseeing on a coach? Fuck that
A train i can understand - they can go quite wild off road places and you can go to the bar - still not that good
Planes you get that little window which you might as well shut and try and get some sleep
In a glider or byplane maybe, but a jumbo? No way. Im offended people are doing this

I hate flying. I feel guilty every time I get on a plane to go on holiday, because I hate the pollution that flying causes, and the danger that it puts the whole planet in. (but I do fly)

The airlines greenwash and plead that they want to cut emissions.

Then they start flying people to nowhere.

I'd shoot a couple of airline chief execs and some of the cunts who take these flights.

Is this any different from people paying ludicrous amounts for a five-hour Pullman train journey that also goes nowhere and arrives back at the same station it departed from?
Loads of plums on here take train journeys that go nowhere, especially if it's some stinky old steam train that's been dusted off for a one off wally-magnet journey! :D

Loads of plums on here take train journeys that go nowhere, especially if it's some stinky old steam train that's been dusted off for a one off wally-magnet journey! :D
I have a mate who is a "trackie" . He travels on trains just to tick off that he has been on that piece of track. He did Scotland last year and was posting selfies of himself at the end of some god forsaken branch line, where he would get off the train, stand on the platform, then get back on the train for the return journey.

But trains aren't quite as damaging in terms of climate change.

Is this any different from people paying ludicrous amounts for a five-hour Pullman train journey that also goes nowhere and arrives back at the same station it departed from?
Completely different. The comfort, the service, the food and drink, the luxury, the views and the heritage of the Pullman services is an experience to be savoured (I would imagine, I've not been). Whereas sitting on a cramped seat with no legroom, rubbish food and tiny windows is never enjoyable.

Completely different. The comfort, the service, the food and drink, the luxury, the views and the heritage of the Pullman services is an experience to be savoured (I would imagine, I've not been). Whereas sitting on a cramped seat with no legroom, rubbish food and tiny windows is never enjoyable.
Absolute nonsense.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that. There are probably as many aviation enthusiasts as there are train weirdos and the views from the windows of an aircraft flying a well planned route over landmarks will wipe the floor with anything you'll ever see from a train. A lot of people love the whole airport experience too. They're not always packed to the rafters and if you throw in a lounge and a decent lunch you've got the makings of a great day out.

Maybe the "flight to nowhere" concept could be combined with the "murder mystery dinner theater" or "escape the room" genres, although naysayers might complain about the latter being "irresponsible" or "incredibly dangerous."

Back
Top Bottom