Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Long haul flights tips and advice

Jet lag is for pussies. Just get on with it. Have an extra coffee and something to eat and you'll be fine.
I once went to Hong Kong for a three-day event with my boss, who happens to be a good mate, and while we were naturally sober during business hours we got shitfaced every evening.

The hangover was exactly the same as one could have expected to at home, but I got virtually zero jet lag there, or back home on our return. So I my advice is get drunk every day :D

Does this work on Airplane Mode? I never thought to try maps on a phone as I thought it needed data. How are you doing this wizardry?
GPS works on aeroplane mode as it’s just receive. You will need a downloaded map though. I use Maps for me which has a global base map.

I mostly go to Japan and I do tend to stay up until I literally collapse aroun 6-8pm Japan time rather than sleep on the flight.

I'm usually over the worst of the jet lag by the 2nd day I think, so thats what I'll stick to. Besides I get to excited to sleep on the plane and its usually uncomfortable as hell in economy.

I was going to suggest ‘try to book flights on ‘lower altitude pressure’ such as the 787, 350 or 380, but I was reading a thread in another forum about it and plenty of cabin crew posters who’ve worked on them as well as jets with the traditional higher altitude cabin pressure that most jets use said they’ve noticed a small difference at best.

So it seems to me a marketing gimmick and of limited benefits. Probably far better to choose a jet with lower cabin noise or wider seat width even if it has the higher altitude pressure.

I mostly go to Japan and I do tend to stay up until I literally collapse aroun 6-8pm Japan time rather than sleep on the flight.

I'm usually over the worst of the jet lag by the 2nd day I think, so thats what I'll stick to. Besides I get to excited to sleep on the plane and its usually uncomfortable as hell in economy.

I'm off to Japan in a bit and this is what I do.

Book the best hotel on the first night, splash out on one with a pool. Check into the hotel, go for a swim, neck a couple of Bloody Marys, raid the Family Mart for snacks and cute cans of beer. Pass out. Fine next day.

Last time I went to Japan (Oct 18) the jet lag was the worst I’ve ever had. Lots of stumbling confused around Tokyo being late for meetings. And that was flying out JAL first class (I got an incredible deal).

Just done a week London-Boston-LA-London and had zero jet lag coming home.

Reckon it’s got something to do with time of flights and how they fit with body clock.

I was going to suggest ‘try to book flights on ‘lower altitude pressure’ such as the 787, 350 or 380, but I was reading a thread in another forum about it and plenty of cabin crew posters who’ve worked on them as well as jets with the traditional higher altitude cabin pressure that most jets use said they’ve noticed a small difference at best.

So it seems to me a marketing gimmick and of limited benefits. Probably far better to choose a jet with lower cabin noise or wider seat width even if it has the higher altitude pressure.

The quieter aircraft and lower pressure ones tend to be the same anyway. The A350 we took to Hong Kong, you could not hear any aircraft noise in flight and even during take off just a very quiet murmur from the engines, we took a 777 back to London, the noise was very, very noticeable after the A350 experience.

The quieter aircraft and lower pressure ones tend to be the same anyway. The A350 we took to Hong Kong, you could not hear any aircraft noise in flight and even during take off just a very quiet murmur from the engines, we took a 777 back to London, the noise was very, very noticeable after the A350 experience.
The earlier generation 777s in particular were noisier at take off than an Old Firm derby :D

This has been such a useful thread. Thanks everyone. I fly tomorrow!

Anyone know rules about smoking or vaping in LA? I'm thinking I might go for a stroll as it seems the airport is so close to actual place.

I don't know about the smoking/vaping rules but suspect both will be banned in and around the airport except for perhaps the odd designated area outside somewhere.

I don't think strolling is much of an option in LA at all never mind anywhere near the airport.

Tha ks for all the tips guys, really helpful. I've been and I'm back.

Just thought I'd give my review of airlines. I flew United, Qantas and BA.

United:
Comfort - 8
Food - 7
Entertainment - 9
Service - 9 - love the fact they obviously don't have a dolly bird policy and cabin crew were all just normal human beings. They were the most attentive and helpful of all also.
Overall - 33

Qantas:
Comfort - 8
Food - 8
Entertainment - 3 - their touch screens were so rubbish I gave up in the end
Service - 7
Overall - 26

BA:
Comfort - 6 - seats were much more narrow than on any of the others.
Food - 7
Entertainment - 7
Service - 6
Overall - 26

Back
Top Bottom