Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Long haul flights tips and advice

Take extra plane snacks. :thumbs: Every time you feel like you can't handle it any more, eat something else. I take bags of nuts, huge bars of chocolate, dried fruit. :cool: Also, lots and lots of chewing gum. Especially if you smoke.

Always order a vegetarian/ Hindu/ lactose/ kosher meal . You get served quicker, the food is better and you get to piss off the other victims who find all there is left is a tepid morose beef wellington

I used to have to fly to New York a couple of times a month, sometimes more in the 90's, it was nearly always economy, always on American Airlines. They had the option to order a hamburger meal; you got a massive burger in a bun, crisps and ice cream. You also got sniggers at the start of the flight when they called out the passenger names and the type of meal, the sniggers disappeared when they saw my nice meal vs their dismal offerings :thumbs:

Travel business and get paid for it while you travel

If leg room is important research early and if you want an emergency exit seat with leg stretch pay the money it’s worth it

Get to the airport early, skip the long queues and avoid the stressy last minute crowds

Always put some baggage in the hold, they will do everything in their means not to unload hold baggage if you find yourself late(drunk/lost) running for gate. If you have no hold baggage they will just close gate tough tits

Take a wander, Identify your gate so you know where you are going and how long it takes to get there

Maximum prehydrate. I buy two biggish bottles of water and neck one in the airport and carry one on.

Treat yourself to a nice meal and a few drinks.

Use noise cancelling earphones (Bose in ear are ace, evening with no tunes going through them)

Use a plastic shopping bag to chuck stuff you need for flight rather than fecking around with your carryon and keeps everything in one place

Diazepam and wine if you want to smash it out in a sleepy daze. (Diazepam easy to find over the counter in a lot of less developed countries)

Wear the knee high dvt compression socks they really stop restless leg.

Move around regularly.

Take alcohol gel to debug your hands

Be nice to the stewards they feed you wine.

Accept that if you booze your arrival Day will be a bit miserable

HYDRATE

MEDITATE

DON’t wear jeans

Take extra plane snacks. :thumbs: Every time you feel like you can't handle it any more, eat something else. I take bags of nuts, huge bars of chocolate, dried fruit. :cool: Also, lots and lots of chewing gum. Especially if you smoke.

Ah yeah. Load up on snacks. Bottle of water. Sandwich, pringles, chocolate, nuts, gum. You'll never regret having food on you even if you don't end up eating it all on the plane. Just be careful of taking fruit, or meat and dairy into the US/Australia if you do bring a sandwich. I doubt you'll end up in Guantanamo over it, but still.

Ah yeah. Load up on snacks. Bottle of water. Sandwich, pringles, chocolate, nuts, gum. You'll never regret having food on you even if you don't end up eating it all on the plane. Just be careful of taking fruit, or meat and dairy into the US/Australia if you do bring a sandwich. I doubt you'll end up in Guantanamo over it, but still.

Leave any uneaten food on the plane. No you wouldn't go to prison but you would get it confiscated, plus a large fine and a lecture about how evil it is to bring diseased foreign food into Australia. I think the USA has simalar rules as well.

Another tip when arriving in Sydney if you didn’t do the E-Boarders pre-notification.

When the immigration officer asks if you have any criminal convictions don’t say:

“I’m very sorry I didn’t know you needed them anymore...”

They have a computerised system now. scan your passport, stand in front of the camera and if you're legit you're in

Thanks all, this is really helpful. I ha r ESTA and whatever the Aussie one is called all ready. Noise cancelling headphones are done and other things now added to the list.

Do the planes have chargers for tablets and phones? And how does food work? Do they feed you whatever time it is or do they allow for the fact people are going to be trying to get on destination time?

yes usb chargers are available in your seat. And they tend to use the meals and dark time to assist with you entering into new time zone. Honestly don't stress, youll be okay :)

Take a pen for filling US landing card out on the plane.

Overtake as many people as possible once you disembark, lest you get stuck behind a bunch of holidaymakers at immigration giving way too much unnecessary information at the border holding everybody up behind.
They have got rid of paper landing cards recently. It’s all E-boarders now. If you have been inon an zests before you can use the automated gates.

and yes, buy a big bottle of water once you're past security and also carry on a a big, wide necked refillable, empty necked water bottle on to the plane,

Leave any uneaten food on the plane. No you wouldn't go to prison but you would get it confiscated, plus a large fine and a lecture about how evil it is to bring diseased foreign food into Australia. I think the USA has simalar rules as well.
I mentioned it before but going into China they x-ray your bags on arrival. HK to Hainanout of three big suitcases and four cabin sized suitcases the fruit police spotted Ms 747’s forgotten apple. I found that scary and impressive in equal amounts.

And never assist other passengers who may want to use your unused baggage allowance. I have had this a couple of times from through the Middle East- they had shitloads of crap and both times were hassling hand only passengers to book it in for them to avoid paying £££££ out in baggage charges...

And never assist other passengers who may want to use your unused baggage allowance. I have had this a couple of times from through the Middle East- they had shitloads of crap and both times were hassling hand only passengers to book it in for them to avoid paying £££££ out in baggage charges...
Wow - would anyone be stupid enough to actually do that? There could be anything in the bags.

How did they know they were hand luggage only?

How long would it take to get by Australia by train and what route would you take? (Obvs there would be a need for boats at some point).

How long would it take to get by Australia by train and what route would you take? (Obvs there would be a need for boats at some point).

Option 1, Europe to Australia via the Trans-Siberian Railway. You can travel by train from London to Moscow, then by Trans-Siberian Railway to China & the Far East, then catch a passenger-carrying freighter (if you can find one!) or cruise ship to Australia.

UK to Australia without flying - how to do it.

mYhPOPG.jpg

Download as many netflix / Iplayer shows & movies to your devices as you can. It's a long way: when we went to Aus this year I managed to pick the bones out of pretty much everything decent on the in flight video selection on the way out - only to find it was pretty much the same selection on the way back.

By the way, isn't Australia that a way from London --->
Why you sneaking up on it from the other way round?

By the way, isn't Australia that a way from London --->
Why you sneaking up on it from the other way round?
Coming back via Singapore. I'm basically doing a one way trip around the world.

It was the flight times that worked for me with other commitments.

I was wondering this myself. Definitely taking the long way round.

Singapore airport is lovely compared to LAX. They’ve just installed the world’s biggest indoor waterfall. there’s other stuff too, endless shops, swimming pool, cinema, butterfly farm. It’s an adventure in itself. And ridiculously clean.

If I I had a spare 43 days and AUD$8,070, I would definitely want to take the Tilbury-Sydney freighter, stopping at:
  • Tilbury, Great Britain
  • Salerno, Italy
  • Malta, Malta
  • Damietta, Egypt
  • Cochin, Inde
  • Colombo, Sri Lanka
  • Chennai, India
  • Port Kelang, Malaysia
  • Singapore, Singapore
  • Adelaide, Australia
  • Sydney, Australia
I wonder how long it stops each time?