Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

favourite guitar solos

bluestreak said:
fucking creedence clearwater revival you cunts :(

Creedance are great.....proto metal...what a voice old foghorn has.

I cant remember the name of it but there's a buzzcocks song where he goes....'guitar solo!' and plays two notes....minimal ironic genius.

Another girl another planet....thats got a pretty great solo in it.

I also like (close your ears dub) some of Tom Morello's solos which can be unusual...sometime he makes his guitar sound like he's wiping it with a wet cloth and then throwing it downstairs (*note this is a good thing) - there's a great solo on audioslaves 'like a stone' for example.

What's the one that starts:

Wadddddlllleeeeeeeeeeepayackawokkawokka, Deeeeeechdeeedleeey, Deeeeeechdeeedleeey, Deeeeeechdeeedleeey Middlybiddlyd-woooooooo weeeeeeoooooww?

That one is pretty cool.

Mick Ronsons work with bowie - great, slow, melodic and dirty. Moonage Daydream, Starman, all the Young Dudes and many more.

Or Nirvana - Kurts solo on teen spirit is beautiful, especially the long drawn out feedbacking note that carries on into the last verse.

Trouble with many guitarists is that they seem to think a guitar solo is an essential part of any song and should be a demonstration of speed and technique - no, it needs to compliment and work with the rest of the music. So the solos in Bowie's Jean-Jeanie, or the who's 'I can see for miles' (both essentially one note played dirty) are far more effective and powerful than 99% of the widdling of the likes of Ritchie Blackmoore, Steve Vie, Van halen et al.

Jimmy Page usually got away with it.

Jazzz said:
Amazingly I only discovered this one recently, and no wonder people liked it so much, it makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. Pretty good live version here

Nooooooooooooo !!!!!!!

'What do I get' by Buzzcocks for simplicity and cos I can play it or 'She don't care about time' by The Byrds cos it's fabulous!

Orang Utan said:
I pretty much hate all guitar solos - they're usually a most unwelcome interruption to the groove
My advice to you is to listen to 70s funk. The lead work is pretty central to the groove. (Classic case in point, Dance to the Music).

danny la rouge said:
My advice to you is to listen to 70s funk. The lead work is pretty central to the groove. (Classic case in point, Dance to the Music).

'Underdog' off the first Lp is a classic for the horn solo.

danny la rouge said:

I do and they are pretty much the only guitar solos I can abide - I was thinking more of rock guitar solos

Swarfega said:
What's the one that starts:

Wadddddlllleeeeeeeeeeepayackawokkawokka, Deeeeeechdeeedleeey, Deeeeeechdeeedleeey, Deeeeeechdeeedleeey Middlybiddlyd-woooooooo weeeeeeoooooww?

That one is pretty cool.

danny la rouge said:

Sly and the family stone
:D

danny la rouge said:
Don't, then. :D
I'm sorry, but I just can't help thinking of this fella:
photo_g3yngwie1a.jpg

Is that Yngwie Malmsteen? Nobody should think about him.

I fought and died during punk so that nobody would have to think about the likes og him again. Young people these days, they don't know what we went through. :(

for true exponents of technique over soul see the lead solos in this dragonforce clip....fantastic technique but whats the point apart from making me laugh at the sheer preposterous nature of it...in the video one guitarist has a beer before coming in to shred the arse of his colleague.

danny la rouge said:

I fought and died during punk so that nobody would have to think about the likes og him again. Young people these days, they don't know what we went through. :(

:D

Very true and unlucky Comrade ;)

danny la rouge said:

I remember buying an ish of "Guitarist" years back because they had an interview with (iirc) Andy Partridge of XTC, and there was a feature on Malmsteen in it. What a tosser!! He kept coming out with stuff about how he was the modern-day equivalent of Paginini (based, obviously, on his ability to arpeggiate, as it certainly couldn't have been based on his compositional ability, the twat. :rolleyes: ). I got a metalhead mate to do me a tape of one of Yngvie's albums and my fucking G-d, what a load of dry-wank boring poseurship :eek: . It went BEYOND "all style and no substance" into "all technical ability and no emotion or soul".

Horrible, truly horrible.

danny la rouge said:

Indeed.

I have seen bands recently where the members are all under 25 and the cunts are playing not just widdly guitar marathons - but drum solos! - and their mates applaud them!

Kaka Tim said:
Indeed.

I have seen bands recently where the members are all under 25 and the cunts are playing not just widdly guitar marathons - but drum solos! - and their mates applaud them!

Sick fucks! :mad:

Probably the sort of diseased individuals who'd masturbate in public!

In fact, that's kind of what they're doing, fret-wanking in the audiences' face! :eek: :mad:

I was going to go for something stratospheric by Eddie Hazel or Paul Leary, but...

When it comes down to it, it's The Kinks' You Really Got Me. 15 perfect seconds of short, sharp, shock. :cool:

Sunspots said:
When it comes down to it, it's The Kinks' You Really Got Me. 15 perfect seconds of short, sharp, shock. :cool:

-No, hang on... I've just listened to All Day And All Of The Night. Not as good a song, but I think the solo's just that little bit rawer than the one in You Really Got Me. :cool:

Can't decide. :oops:

((((Me)))) :D

Sunspots said:
I was going to go for something stratospheric by Eddie Hazel or Paul Leary, but...

Yeah - that is a great guitar solo.

actually - it may be have been Jimmy Page who plays it .. (he was a session player on several early kinks records).

My faves are......

Time - Pink Floyd
Floods - Pantera
Welcome to Dying - Onslaught
Fade to Black - Metallica

And on a non fretboard wankery note, Shadowplay by Joy Division, in fact anything off Unknown Pleasures.

yours in six-string riffery

Mark.

Kaka Tim said:
Yeah - that is a great guitar solo.

actually - it may be have been Jimmy Page who plays it .. (he was a session player on several early kinks records).
That's true of a lot of cracking records made before he became a full-time member of the Yardbirds, e.g. Them's first album.

Yep - Michael Jackson's Beat It is an absolute classic, and contains my fave guitar solo that instantly comes to mind....

Though I don't think a guitar solo has to be technically amazing or complex to be an incredible one. One that comes to mind is in 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' (Pink Floyd), where the solo is very simple, but placed at such a point in the track that its' impact is dynamite, and the simplicity and intense emotion of it takes you to another place....well it does me, anyway! :D

Back
Top Bottom