Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

favourite guitar solos

saucisson

whoomph! (there it is)
to some the answer to this will be none.....now while I find them a tad self indulgent myself there are a few that really do add something and take the song to a different place rather than just fill the middle eight up with wankery.

Bizzarely this thread was sparked by hearling aqualung (jethro tull) on the radio this morning...great solo totally lifts the song.

what else works for you?

Led Zep - Since I've been lovin you is one of my favourites. and dazed and confused. Led Zep are the reason I learnt to play guitar (albeit rather badly).

at some point i went a bit anti-rock and rejected the solo - after years of adoring them...

best solo in recent years is on My Morning Jacket's One Big Holiday. Just wonderful

ViolentPanda said:
Cortez the Killer by Neil Young.

oo thats a goody as are lots of neil's..technically there are many better but he battles with his guitar and feedback in a fight to get the melody out (similar struggles with his voice at times as well). I like the solo on over and over off ragged glory.

I also like carlos santanas playing...some great solos on caravanserai....(god I sound like 70s nerd)..in continuing nerd fashion may I also add that neil schon plays on caravanserai and he went on to do some great solos for journey....the solo in 'dont stop believing' being one that springs to mind.

VP trumped me with Neil Young. There's nobody like him. He's certainly the only exponent of the extended solo that I can listen to without getting tetchy!

Other than that, I tend to like short blasts of chaos - the solo on Husker Du's Sunshine Superman, for example.

the one on 'my curse' by the afghan whigs...bitterness and regret and sweetness in about 10 seconds of pretty simple guitar playing. job done. :)

I like John McGeogh's guitar playing in Magazine. Probably my favourite solo of his is 'Permafrost', which seems to come out of nowhere.

Ironically I think the best classic rock solo is actually found on a disco record - "Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

I know it's all widdly-widdly but that's the point - it's technically incredible, the working of the harmonics, the odd juxtaposition of notes, and the sheer speed.

I'm no huge Van Halen fan but the sound of that guitar kicking, in after the 8 bar build up... pure genius.

Also

gota just say how much I love that lazy soundin southern guitar in Wicked Game and of course, gotta give a mention to (Don't Fear) The Reaper :cool:

:mad:

I can't scroll down to it, it only shows disk one, - never mind, will find it some time on gnutella

Funny someone mentioning shoplifters of the world, - I downloaded htis a few days ago, and discovered for the first time what the words were - didn't know it was that song, till I played it, - I've heard it for years as something like, - shah ballistas of the world, and not questioned it futher.:rolleyes:

Hard choice! :eek:

Zep have got to be up there for me too ... will decide properly tomorrow cos right now I'm listening to dub and not able to concentrate ... ;)

Amazingly I only discovered this one recently, and no wonder people liked it so much, it makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. Pretty good live version here

Parisian Walkways... Thin Lizzy or is it Gary Moore (and Phil Lynott??)

Played really badly here :(

Back
Top Bottom