Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Columbo episode

[QUOTE="slightlytouched, post: 14789529, member: 60834"I love the extra episode (end of season 4 I think) where we finally meet Mrs Columbo. [/QUOTE]

...from the short lived spin-off series Mrs Columbo.

hqdefault.jpg

BUT IT'S EVEN GOT DOG

It was also called Kate Loves A Mystery, had nothing to do with Columbo, and was an entirely different kind of show.
It got renamed later on because the show was failing and its connection to Columbo proved unpopular. That doesn't change that Mrs Columbo started out as a spin-off from Columbo and she was supposed to be his wife. Whether you like it or not, taking a minor, recurring or supporting character from one show (even when that character was never seen) and developing a new show around them, is called a "spin-off". It's referred to as such in every introduction to the show, like here:

Mrs. Columbo (TV series) - Wikipedia

...and here:

Mrs. Columbo (TV Series 1979–1980) - IMDb

Last edited:
I've written a short comic about Superman's cleaner.

It's now a Superman spin-off and I will edit Wikipedia to demonstrate the undeniable truth of this matter.

I've written a short comic about Superman's cleaner.

It's now a Superman spin-off and I will edit Wikipedia to demonstrate the undeniable truth of this matter.
The difference between fan fiction and a spin-off is that fan fiction is written by fans, a spin-off actually gets made by the same studio who produced the original. As if the terminology didn't make it obvious. :facepalm:

Sorry, got a life to get on with now...

The studio, yes, but not the producers or Falk himself, who are the closest thing to the authors of Columbo.

Columbo is a fictional character, and the very notion of fiction depends on a certain proprietorial relationship between author and work. It's no coincidence that fiction as a genre only emerged fully with the rise of capitalism and its ability to regulate the production of narratives.

The studio, yes, but not the producers or Falk himself, who are the closest thing to the authors of Columbo.

Columbo is a fictional character, and the very notion of fiction depends on a certain proprietorial relationship between author and work. It's no coincidence that fiction as a genre only emerged fully with the rise of capitalism and its ability to regulate the production of narratives.

Remakes, prequels, sequels, reboots and spin-offs are all primarily driven by commercial considerations. The idea is to cash in on a familiar brand name. You seem to be under the misapprehension that franchise expansions are driven by creative considerations.

Fiction is a modern classification. It's not simply stories that aren't true. Folk tales, like myths, do not have an identifiable author, and are therefore open to revision and variation in ways that modern novels in general are not.

Many genres (in the widest sense) of human activity seem simple and obvious to us - natural even. But they all have a specific historical and cultural background.

Last edited:
Fiction is a modern classification. It's not simply stories that aren't true. Folk tales, like myths, do not have an identifiable author, and are therefore open to revision and variation in ways that modern novels in general are not.

Many genres (in the widest sense) of human activity seem simple and obvious to us - natural even. But they all have a specific historical and cultural background.
and yet we have the vladimir propp who classifies such things on a notedly transferable scale. Is little red hood little red hood if she is not riding? What if in this iteration of the tale she is a wily fox?. Which are fictions that came before capitalism.

and yet we have the vladimir propp who classifies such things on a notedly transferable scale. Is little red hood little red hood if she is not riding? What if in this iteration of the tale she is a wily fox?. Which are fictions that came before capitalism.
I'm not sure I take your point. There have always been stories - things that we now classify as fiction in the broad sense of things that aren't true - but fiction as a self-contained story world which has a definitive version is a relatively modern thing, emerging in Europe along with the birth of capitalism and Enlightenment thinking. (Although there are arguably precursors such as late Antiquity and Heian Japan.)

Homer's an interesting case because his sources are mythological but his treatment of them is probably his own; it's the birth of literature, with aesthetic considerations over-riding the demands that the story reflect the broader 'Truth' (whether religious, political, cultural etc.) that the story is a vehicle for.

I am in receipt of the box set.

I have watched the first 4 episodes. You know, I don't remember the early ones - maybe I never saw them before.

The one with the art critic - episode 4 of the first season - was especially great. The fucking fingerprints, man :cool:

Back
Top Bottom