Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Columbo episode

The Rockford Files comes close to Columbo in my affection for shabby detectives/invetigators. Unlike Columbo I haven't seen it since it first was on, so not sure how it would hold up.

can't believe all the quincy I have watched and never did I ask myself that. Internets says klugman when asked would say 'doctor'

Haven't seen it since I was a kid but seem to remember it was a bit racist/sexist. How does it look these days?

Haven't seen it since I was a kid but seem to remember it was a bit racist/sexist. How does it look these days?
my quincy days were around five years ago where I was predictably unemployed and watching re-runs on ITV. Issues quincy has aged very badly, think of how sometimes pertwee in doctor who comes off as a massive sexist boor. That sort of touch. Murder quincy still stands up, when it was just a procedural detailing how an ME somehow solves a murder it was not going to bad places.

Reactions: Sue
The one with the Mensa-type society? Or this one where at the end he proves the case cos this painting in a bag has Columbo's own fingerprints on it and the murderer says "you just put them on it now" and then columbo raises his hands and he is wearing gloves. I seem to remember.

edit: I just saw they're both mentioned in that top 10! Excellent, usually noone I talk to remembers these.

suitable-gloves-2.jpg

Last edited:
The one with the Mensa-type society? Or this one where at the end he proves the case cos this painting in a bag has Columbo's own fingerprints on it and the murderer says "you just put them on it now" and then columbo raises his hands and he is wearing gloves. I seem to remember.

edit: I just saw they're both mentioned in that top 10! Excellent, usually noone I talk to remembers these.

suitable-gloves-2.jpg
I remember it. I've seen it at least four times :D

The one with Billy Connelly as a psycho film score composer was good and the one with the fax machine and the cheese was a cracker. Can't believe I missed this thread, my wife will love it when I tell her, she's a big fan. Think there's been two episodes with twins as the culprit(s), normally don't like any drama with twins or amnesia as the main theme but saw one the other day involving an inheritance scam and a faked heart attack on an exercise bike which was good. Any episodes with William Shatner and yeah Donald Pleasance in the wine one.

suitable-gloves-2.jpg

I saw this one the other night - the fingerprints on the painting one, I mean - and it was great stuff altogether. But surely something like that would never stand up in court?

I saw this one the other night - the fingerprints on the painting one, I mean - and it was great stuff altogether. But surely something like that would never stand up in court?
ha no of course not. but the previously strong minded murderer always crumbles as soon as columbo reveals the final "evidence", because columbo has been psychologically fucking with them for weeks.

Just a side-line. I'm up watching a 1967 episode of 'Ironside' and waiting for a roofer.

There's Harrison Ford as a young NASA scientist in a small TV role prior to his superstardom.....:cool:

There's and episode of Columbo where Mrs Columbo has bought him a new raincoat and he keeps trying to leave it behind. I don't remember what the story was but that little side story really amused me.

Saw the first one. It was ace.
Conceited charlatan 'author' gets rumbled by Columbo.
Directed by Spielberg too.

I like the one where he has a handful of boiled egg shell. I think it's the inside-out knickers one.

I remember the egg shells but not the knickers! Watched the Chess one yesterday, thought the ending was rubbish. Columbo finishes up by declaring that the murderer had to be deaf because he wouldn't have heard that the heavy duty waste disposal system had automatically shut down when the victim went into it. FFS Columbo, he would have felt the vibrations stop, he's a chess genius, he would have known something was wrong and he would never have fallen for fools mate, ever.

The knickers one is where a romance author is murdered by her boyfriend after her sister rings him up pretending to be her and dumps him.

Not a patch on Petrocelli.

I JEST, I JEST.

I've adored Columbo since I was a nipper. This thread makes me happier than I can say. I used to call my dad Columbo because he'd always come back in the back door to tell us 'just one more thing' before he went somewhere.

And now you're telling me the boxed set can be had for a mere £30? That's my Christmas list sorted :thumbs:

American telly might often be shit, but they've always done a good line in daytime tv detectives.

I love me some Jessica Fletcher as well.

Back
Top Bottom