Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farmers' market in Brixton

A shame about Ladywell Organic. I had a good chat with them the other week and he was very helpful - said I could place orders for more unusual cuts that they don't stock as standard. :(

Really? Does that include any meat or fish shops? £5/kg at the [farmers'] market for incredibly fresh mackerel is pretty good.
Are you serious? :hmm:

There are a great many fish shops in Brixton, and in the covered arcades, selling everything from mackerel to flying fish. Nor is the place short of butchers, both traditional and halal.

I got some rather nice mackerel from Mash, in one of the arches under the station, last weekend. Very nice indeed.

so you're willing to stray beyond Iceland as long as the stallholders are white.

I never said I didn't, and neither is the colour of the stallholders particularly relevant. I'll often go into the chinese supermarket in the market itself, for herbs and suchlike for example. In fact, it's the only place round here I've ever seen Mountain Dew for sale.

I never said I didn't, and neither is the colour of the stallholders particularly relevant. I'll often go into the chinese supermarket in the market itself, for herbs and suchlike for example. In fact, it's the only place round here I've ever seen Mountain Dew for sale.

And other crazy soft drinks. If they make Coca-Cola in Uxbridge, how come people in Brixton can make more money by getting it from somewhere where they write in Arabic and still have the old ring pulls which come off?

Innit - not a pleasant or fair thing to say.

Are you serious? :hmm:

There are a great many fish shops in Brixton, and in the covered arcades, selling everything from mackerel to flying fish. Nor is the place short of butchers, both traditional and halal.

Fresh fish. Good meat. Mash is close to the first sometimes and has a good stock, but for freshness not a patch on the guy in the market. (He should be there today so go and compare, though he normally only brings half dozen things.) There's really no good meat in Brixton anywhere. Just the normal cheap industrially farmed stuff.

Fresh fish. Good meat. Mash is close to the first sometimes and has a good stock, but for freshness not a patch on the guy in the market. (He should be there today so go and compare, though he normally only brings half dozen things.) There's really no good meat in Brixton anywhere. Just the normal cheap industrially farmed stuff.

I'd agree with that. I got some Dover sole from the fish guy a couple of weeks ago, and not only was it reasonably priced, it was amazingly fresh and delicious just simply grilled with lemon. I don't really buy meat from the market because I don't like the way they handle it and it's not particularly good quality. (He may not be there today, btw, because obviously they can't put out to sea in really bad weather.)

The fish guy was there but no fresh fish, only shellfish due to the bad weather.

In fact, quite a lot of other spaces were empty today where I'd have expected to have seen a stall.

But I got me goats cheese, so I'm happy.

The fish guy was there but no fresh fish, only shellfish due to the bad weather.

In fact, quite a lot of other spaces were empty today where I'd have expected to have seen a stall.

But I got me goats cheese, so I'm happy.

That's a bit worrying. I hope it's because of the crap weather and not because they're not doing enough business.

I've had the red wine and steak pie from there, which was one heavily filled beast indeed. Would happily indulge again.

I shall have to get one next weekend then. I only have a limited budget to spend in the farmer's market so I can't buy everything I ever want; next week a pasty will be my first priority then.

1225108792_1212866453_pasty.jpg

was a bit shabby today. the weather kept the crowds away but there was a lot less stalls than usual.
still, got a chicken, some sausages and loads of veg, including some curious looking squash.

I thought there were quite a few people there considering the rain.
Got lots a veg, sausages, mince pies and bread
I'm going to clear out my freezer this week and restock it next week. I quite like this market.

I asked around as to who would be there on the 20th, Sunday before xmas day. Not many committed to the date, the baker and veg stall said they would definitely be there. Giggly pig, cake lady and several others weren't sure. Demand for the stalls around London will be high.

Btw anybody else see that Borough Market is branching into Clapham? Next weekend in Venn St and then moving to the last weekend of the month apparently. Woopdedoo.

Yeah, I saw that Venn Street one. I know all Farmer's markets could potentially be accused of being a rip off but that one flaunts it :mad:

£4.50 for a sandwich :eek:

I like the Brixton one much better. :)

I asked around as to who would be there on the 20th, Sunday before xmas day. Not many committed to the date, the baker and veg stall said they would definitely be there. Giggly pig, cake lady and several others weren't sure. Demand for the stalls around London will be high.

Brixton's Bazaar is open every day from the Friday before xmas till xmas eve. :)

Had some Giggly Pig sausages for dinner and was lazing on the sofa when Inside Out on BBC1 came on. Story about a woman banged up for 3.5 years who took some courses in pig farming and ended up masterminding... the Giggly Pig empire.

The pigs did look pretty damned happy. Well obviously they eventually meet their sausage maker, but before that they get to run well and truly free.

Amazing story, respect to her and her pigs.

Yeah, Giggly Pig - a wonderful story. Very inspiring. I spoke with Tracy at The Oval market last year. She agreed to a brief interview, 10:00 in over here.

Back
Top Bottom