Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farmers' market in Brixton

Brixton farmers' market news

Hi everyone,

The dates for the new year should have been on our website. It's always a slow start at the beginning of January, but things should be moving back to normal as long as the weather improves. Thank you if you managed to brave the snow and ice to get to the market, all the producers were really pleased to see you. I have to agree with you about Bakers Treat; Their pies and pasties are really good. There is news however; They're in the middle of moving to new premises so are out of action for about a month. Hope your withdrawal symptoms will hold out.
You may have noticed that Global Fusion Foods from the recently closed Brixton Bazaar were on the market last Sunday. Shame about it closing, wouldn't have thought it was much competition for the local retailers.

I suspect it mostly captured extra trade, though I'm told there were concerns raised from Coldharbour Lane traders, and they are indeed organised, and are able to expess common concerns.

But, stop and think about it and it's all very odd; the bus stop on that corner doesn't even have a bus shelter (because I understand, it offered shelter of a sort to young men offering weed).

What chance then half-a-dozen stalls? :confused:

I suspect it mostly captured extra trade, though I'm told there were concerns raised from Coldharbour Lane traders, and they are indeed organised, and are able to expess common concerns.

But, stop and think about it and it's all very odd; the bus stop on that corner doesn't even have a bus shelter (because I understand, it offered shelter of a sort to young men offering weed).

What chance then half-a-dozen stalls? :confused:

The weed dealers went away when the market was on.
I worked on the market and i know thats a fact.
I hope that clears up your confusion.

I think they've got a legitimate concern, as have the traders who've kept the market going all these years. Why should a bunch of new traders be handed such a prominent position, it's bound to provide a pole of attraction which will draw people away from the existing vendors. It aimed fair and square at the new Brixton, people with money to spend, exactly those who could, if they chose, help to improve the real market. Stalls selling artisan olives or whatever could contribute to regenerating interest in the market rather than drawing trade away from it.

I feel much the same about the 'farmers' market, Brixton has no tradition of sunday market, but now there's a little protected environment where the competition is so limited that it's not a real market at all. I'd be very happy for those stalls to compete openly either with the rest of Brixton market or, if they wish, with the sunday market at East street. But providing them, or the bazaar, with a deliberately separate space where the better off don't need to rub shoulders with the people buying yams from an ordinary market stall doesn't really serve the interests of Brixton as a whole.

In total agreement with Newbie, although that probably won't be a surprise given my past contributions to this and the Bazaar thread.

Can I just add that the weed dealers did not go away when Bazaar was on. At most they moved a little further down to make the entry to Dex/the bus stops their primary point.

I know this because I was whistled and 'skunkd' at when eating a pattie from Brixton Bazaar whilst waiting for the bus not that long ago. And to be honest it's patently nonsense - the dealers are rarely bothered by PCSOs and all but the most coordinated of police actions. Suggesting that a thin blue (green?) line of traders 'solves' the problem in one fell swoop always seems unlikely, bordering on the fantastically hopeful

of course the dealers didn't vanish. Not that they're particularly relevant to the vast, vast majority of people who use that pavement but a small but vocal minority seem to make them a focus for every discussion about Brixton, as though they're somehow important.

I think you're preaching to the converted there Newbie. I must admit that one of things I objected to recently was the clear promotion of the idea Brixton Bazaar was making a real difference to street dealing. It made an additional convenient case for the Bazaar, if not a truthful one

As someone who walks past that corner multiple times every day and lives a few streets away it did become a little wearing and fantastic to hear that idea repeated again and again.

Perhaps the people using the Bazaar were less likely to be bothered by dealers. But there again, the dealers are targeted a largely different crowd to begin with.

The weed dealers went away when the market was on.
I worked on the market and i know thats a fact.
I hope that clears up your confusion.
You are the one who is confused, I'm afraid. Tarannau and newbie (and myself) all recognised the same old faces outside KFC while the stalls were there too.

Either your facial recognition skills are somewhat impaired, or your wishful thinking ("we iz teh gud guyz 'cos we made the narstee deelerz all leave") has blinded you to the plain truth.

The idea that Brixton Bazaar was making a real difference to street dealing is pure invention.

I think they've got a legitimate concern, as have the traders who've kept the market going all these years. Why should a bunch of new traders be handed such a prominent position, it's bound to provide a pole of attraction which will draw people away from the existing vendors. It aimed fair and square at the new Brixton, people with money to spend, exactly those who could, if they chose, help to improve the real market. Stalls selling artisan olives or whatever could contribute to regenerating interest in the market rather than drawing trade away from it.

I feel much the same about the 'farmers' market, Brixton has no tradition of sunday market, but now there's a little protected environment where the competition is so limited that it's not a real market at all. I'd be very happy for those stalls to compete openly either with the rest of Brixton market or, if they wish, with the sunday market at East street. But providing them, or the bazaar, with a deliberately separate space where the better off don't need to rub shoulders with the people buying yams from an ordinary market stall doesn't really serve the interests of Brixton as a whole.

I go to the farmer's market mainly for stuff I can't get from the regular market - free-range meat and eggs, game, artisan cheese. I do get some veg from there as well, mainly because it's better quality now that my favourite veg suppliers on Pope's Road have retired.

I understand that, but I can't see it's good for the local community for those things to be sold separately from the rest of the market. It's obvious that the stalls at both the sunday thing and the bazaar are pitching their appeal differently to the stalls selling scoops for a quid, but can they not trade side by side? It looks too much like they actively want to emphasis an 'us and them' distinction to keep their, let's face it, better off customers separate from the rest. But there's no need for that, is there? Wouldn't you, and the other people who shop there, equally buy those products if they were sold alongside the yams and scoops?

Separate branding is probably a business model that works well for the 'farmers' market stallholders, but I can't help thinking it's less positive for the community it's inflicted upon, because siphoning off upmarket custom actively erodes the everyday market.

That is the root of it for me as well. I enjoy the farmers Market - as you'll probably tell from this thread - but I've reservations about its effect elsewhere. I'm one of the more committed food shoppers and I even I find it hard going to going shopping on both days of the weekend.

There's a tendency to discount the traditional market as a shopping location from some. It is down on its heels atm, but there's still some fantastic seasonal produce at keen prices down there, often from farms little further afield than the two veg suppliers on the edge of the Farmers Market and plenty more besides. Equally I often find it quite surprising to find out how little even prolific foodie posters like Orang Utan know about the businesses on their doorstep, or AJ claiming that pork or sausages aren't available outside the Giggly Pig. There's a real wasted opportunity to make a considerably more varied 2 in 1 market that could provide a real draw to outsiders and locals alike.

I have now come to prefer doing my shopping on a Sunday, its less crowded and more relaxing. As a worker myself, not being restricted to Saturday market shopping only is fantastic.

I understand that, but I can't see it's good for the local community for those things to be sold separately from the rest of the market. It's obvious that the stalls at both the sunday thing and the bazaar are pitching their appeal differently to the stalls selling scoops for a quid, but can they not trade side by side? It looks too much like they actively want to emphasis an 'us and them' distinction to keep their, let's face it, better off customers separate from the rest. But there's no need for that, is there? Wouldn't you, and the other people who shop there, equally buy those products if they were sold alongside the yams and scoops?

Separate branding is probably a business model that works well for the 'farmers' market stallholders, but I can't help thinking it's less positive for the community it's inflicted upon, because siphoning off upmarket custom actively erodes the everyday market.

It's hard to know whether the "upmarket custom" of which you speak would use the regular market anyway. I do, but then I'm a very committed local shopper who has regular days off during the week.

there'll be less impetus to do so if they gather together in a segregated bubble with others just like them.

Recycling at the Farmer's market

Hi all,

I've been asked by a customer to advertise which stalls will recycle what at the Farmer's Market. Hope you find it useful!

Which stalls will recycle what

The Market Manager's stall.
We are now handing out carrier bags to customers, dependant on supply. Please bring in any of your unwanted carrier bags!

Galileo farm
Egg boxes - Will take any and all egg box even plastic ones!
They also have a minimum packaging policy for their stall.

Perry Court farm and Manor farm.
Both these will take back their plastic vegetable punnets and elastic bands for reuse.

Mill Whites Cider
Mill whites would love to take their bottles back for reuse
They come to the market every second Sunday and will be there this weekend.

Alham Wood Cheese
They can reuse their Buffalo Yogurt jars and would love these back!

Harvest Moon Free Range Eggs
Egg cartons can be returned to Harvest moon

Regarding the seperation debate going on above, I don't know of any other of the 17 markets run by LFM that are so close to such a well established veg market. It's difficult path to tread for sure but I do reckon both can gain from it. Personally I'm forever directing people to the Main market who are searching for things they can't with us. Mostly Lemons for some reason. As for merging the two markets I'm not at all sure the traders on Electric avenue would welcome 20+ new traders on their busiest trading day. Would there even be room? Ultimately, this is the spot that was given to us by Lambeth Council in compliance with their zoning policies.

Cheers

Louise
Farmer's Market Manager

I buy things from Brixton Farmer's Market, but also have been using Brixton market for 30 years. I buy things from the Farmer's Market that Brixton market doesn't do. The only people losing my custom as a result are Tescos and M&S. The Farmer's Market stuff is far far better though. The pieman is brilliant....hope he's there tomorrow.....

I had a brief chat with the fish chap today while getting my perfect fresh sole as I hadn't seen him for a while. He said he enjoyed coming to Brixton as it's a friendly place to come, especially compared to Marylebone. (I was glad about this as I'm worried he can make more in a minute at Marylebone or South Ken than in 4 hours in Brixton.) Anyway, his herring and mackerel are amongst the best cheap eats in Brixton now.

I had a brief chat with the fish chap today while getting my perfect fresh sole as I hadn't seen him for a while. He said he enjoyed coming to Brixton as it's a friendly place to come, especially compared to Marylebone. (I was glad about this as I'm worried he can make more in a minute at Marylebone or South Ken than in 4 hours in Brixton.) Anyway, his herring and mackerel are amongst the best cheap eats in Brixton now.

We bought sole too!

He has had a bit of publicity recently as it turns out he is an ex-City trader. Apparently the Telegraph wanted before and after shots swilling Bolly/wearing sou'wester. He demurred.

Today I bought cinnamon rolls, venison sausages, very strong cheddar and Egremont Russet apples. I did a nice meal for me and BL plus son and his Angel Of The Norf (of the river).
Brixton Market proper was in no way harmed by these purchases, and everything else we ate came from there :)

I was pleased to see him today too. His Dover sole is fantastic, and very well priced. Haven't seen the pieman for a while though - where has he gone?

he cometh bearing pies!

Good news! Baker's treat are back this weekend (21st) having moved premises.

Also the first plant stall of the new year, Little Coppice Biodynamic Nursery, will be coming back on 7th March. This means Spring is here.

Weekly news email...

Dear friends of the Brixton farmers' market,

Many of you have been asking what has happened to Baker's Treat, the purveyors of quality pies and savouries at the market. We are pleased to say that they are back this weekend, and every week from now on. They have been absent from the market for the last couple of months while they have been busy moving from their old premises in Buckinghamshire to a new unit in London. This should allow them to cut down on the distance they travel to get their pies to market. For those of you unfamiliar with their produce, it is quite wide-ranging, with their selection including sweet and savoury tarts, meat pies, pasties, sausage rolls, quiches, biscuits, muffins, scones and pound cakes. All their produce is sourced from local suppliers, including game meat shot in Buckinghamshire, flour milled in Oxfordshire and Berkshire free-range eggs.

Also, Fabienne Peckham of Galileo Farm has asked us to let you know that they will have mutton on their stall for the first time in a while this weekend, so if you haven't tried mutton before, why not give it a try this Sunday? Mutton has had a bit of a revival in recent times, with people increasingly realised that it can be a succulent and tasty meat and is much much more than just a poor substitute for lamb, with a unique rich flavour of its own.

Enjoy the market this weekend.

Sarah, Louise, Mark, Cheryl and Arthur
Brixton Farmers' Market - every Sunday 10am-2pm in Brixton Station Road

ooo,the pieman's wares are delicious....I hope can get some more egremont russets too......as for mutton, it never really went away in Brixton and is often just called goat.

Les is everywhere

Apparently he's in Time Out as well and will be in the Evening Standard next week. Journalists like the fishies!

EDIT

Blooming Green, who come to the market weeks 2 and 4 in season, were on 'My Dream Farm' this week as well.
I thought I knew em then suddenly it's "we're changing our name to "Blooming Green". Almost fell off my sofa.

Farmers' Market update

Hi everyone,

Thanks if you made it to a very soggy market on Sunday. The pie people are glad to be back - they were away whilst moving to new premises. If you haven't checked out fisherman Les's website it's a great place to find out what he'll be bringing to market and you can place orders too.
Thanks also for understanding that we don't take trade away from the traditional markets stalls - which aren't open on Sundays. I've asked the council if there are any plans to let the trad. market open on Sundays, and it would be great if the arcades could expand on the days they open. (the fact that Franco Manca could then open sundays would be a bonus) :)

Re. Windrush Square - many people have asked if we're moving there. There's a long thread on the subject on this site...we've got to apply like everyone else when it goes to tender and I understand that the council would like a different market on every day of the week. There is no guarantee that we'll win the bid.

Finally, just a reminder that if you buy something you're not happy with do please come back and tell us!
thanks so much for supporting the market(s)

best wishes,
Cheryl
London Farmers' Markets

Back
Top Bottom