Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farmers' market in Brixton

We got our veg - which we have done for the last 3 weeks now. They've been noticeably tastier and gaijinboy branched out today from the venison sos to buy some giggly pig sausages instead. We also bought a jar of buffalo yoghurt which is our Sunday treat. Gaijinboy is building up quite a relationship with the coffee bloke outside KFC, who's very nice. And we bought a lovely bunch of mums for my mum. :D

Anyone noticed somewhere selling chorizo at the market? Or know somewhere that'll be open tomorrow where I can get some? (I'm new here :oops:)

Yes the very same. :)

(eta - not part of the farmer's market but there more often - also the fruit/veg loaves are lovely on the adjacent stall with plenty of tasters!)

Ah, that must have been what I saw being packed up today, the bazaar. Nice one, I'll pop down tomorrow on my way out and we will have paella for tea :) cheers.

i think it's closed tomorrow bee! :( don't fret though - i think i've seen them for sale in the farmers' market too

Anyone noticed somewhere selling chorizo at the market? Or know somewhere that'll be open tomorrow where I can get some? (I'm new here :oops:)
I'm not working tomorrow but the stall will be there,we have classic,hot,extra hot and extra extra hot chorizo. ask for a taster:eek: :D

i am happy to be wrong then! shame i'm working tomorrow - would like to try the extra extra hot chorizo

i think it's closed tomorrow bee! :( don't fret though - i think i've seen them for sale in the farmers' market too

NO IT'S NOT CLOSED,AT LEAST NOT AT 5.30PM WHEN I HELPED PACK UP OUR STALL.
it may be shut next friday due to work being done by the council for the new Windrush square work.
I love the farmers market and don't think we are in working against each other,but i have never seen chorizo sold there,but i'm usually in a state of heaven after buying my favourite goats cheese so might have missed it. :rolleyes:
there is no reason you can't get english chorizo as it does not belong to any country it is just a way of making sausage. :)

i am happy to be wrong then! shame i'm working tomorrow - would like to try the extra extra hot chorizo
we sold so much extra extra hot in brixton and hackney today that might not be that much left.I love hot food but would rather have the extra hot myself but that's just me.and i'm known for my bad taste. ;)

I'm not working tomorrow but the stall will be there,we have classic,hot,extra hot and extra extra hot chorizo. ask for a taster:eek: :D
I'm not allowed any hot food at the mo :( but I might get one for the boy, and a classic for the paella :)

I went today for the first time. Wasn't in a buying mood but it all looked better thank I expected. :)

No oysters though :(

If anyone is visiting Brixtons Bazaar this weekend Yummy Boutique will be there this Sunday (15th Nov) from 10:30am, there will be Cupcakes, Cupcakes and more Cupcakes the best seen in Brixton.

If anyone is visiting Brixtons Bazaar this weekend Yummy Boutique will be there this Sunday (15th Nov) from 10:30am, there will be Cupcakes, Cupcakes and more Cupcakes the best seen in Brixton.
Not sure if I'm working but will be dropping by,so see you there. :)

I have to say I'm loving the farmer's market. It really is good value for money - today I got three packs of steak mince for a fiver, and three packs of sausages plus some bacon for a tenner. The Giggly Pig bacon is excellent, btw. I really like the game stall as well - I keep missing out on the rabbit, unfortunately, but got a couple of pheasants this week (£7).

If there are any meat geeks out there, last week I was chatting to the Ladywell organic beef and lamb man, who was very nice, and you can order more unusual cuts from him to pick up the following week. They also do good deals on quarter/half a lamb, if you've got a big freezer.

The veg is also very good quality, and relatively cheap. I am a happy, happy cook. :)

There was a turkey (order for Christmas) stall today, unfairly wafting the smell of roast turkey around the place. I won't be availing myself of their service as this year I am cooking for vegetarians.

Slowly becoming a big fan of venison. Have had it many times before but it was always a bit meh. Have been experimenting with it in salads and stir fries with great success. :)

Been a bit unlucky with goats cheese, although to be fair it is in the nature of real food to be variable. A very small and very mouldy wheel turned out to contain no cheese whatsoever but the vendor was charming about replacing it when I took it back. Unfortunately the large ash log that I was told would freeze didn't work out, despite following the instructions, it turned and was inedible after thawing. :(

Couldn't believe how much a rye loaf weighs!

I was quite disappointed by the farmers' market yesterday. We were there at about 11. There seemed to be a lot fewer stalls than before. It seemed pricey. Got a ciabatta from Old Post Office for £3 and was looking at sausages but they were £4.10 for 6. I know they had some good flavours but Dombey do all those gourmet sausages for less than 2 quid a packet.

I know that these stalls are often expensive to rent the pitch so they have no choice but to pass this on to the consumer but Brixton has so many great food stalls from Monday to Saturday, all offering great value, so I think these guys need to do a bit more.

The veg was good value yesterday and I can't fault the efforts of the pieman though. Difficult to fault packs of purple sprouting or 6 courgettes for a squid. Pick the seasonal stuff and it's generally not bad value

I like the flavour of Dombey's sausages, but they're cack-handedly made things ime.

Well I have gotten into the habit of going every week to get my weekly veg, some eggs, bread, sausages for gaijinboy and one treat of some kind (often Buffalo yoghurt). I am really impressed with how much I can get for my money. I almost always get some kind of deal on something without even asking (offcuts of cheese, big bag of mixed "less than perfect looking but delicious tasting" apples, packed of venison sos but about 70% of the total price etc etc). Yesterday we took advantage of the advertised later closing time (3pm) but it seemed that a few stalls had already packed up - which was a shame!

eta apple and quince crumble for dinner tonight.. yummmmmmmmmmmm

I was quite disappointed by the farmers' market yesterday. We were there at about 11. There seemed to be a lot fewer stalls than before. It seemed pricey. Got a ciabatta from Old Post Office for £3 and was looking at sausages but they were £4.10 for 6. I know they had some good flavours but Dombey do all those gourmet sausages for less than 2 quid a packet.

I know that these stalls are often expensive to rent the pitch so they have no choice but to pass this on to the consumer but Brixton has so many great food stalls from Monday to Saturday, all offering great value, so I think these guys need to do a bit more.

I got three packs of sausages and a pack of bacon for a tenner which is quite good value I thought. Two packs have gone in the freezer. :) The meat is generally a good price for the quality - one of the main stalls wasn't there on Sunday as they were going to a wedding. Also no fish, presumably because it was too windy to take the boat out.

I suppose we're all grown ups and can see the prices ourselves. Also, everyone has the right to make a living so I shouldn't really be complaining. It's just that I have only lived in Brixton for 8 months and am still enamoured with the shops round the market which are vibrant, good quality and inexpensive. I was living in Dublin before where style over substance is the order of the day in most things. As a result all other markets need to be pretty special to impress me!

I am still enamoured with the shops round the market which are vibrant, good quality and inexpensive.
Really? Does that include any meat or fish shops? £5/kg at the market for incredibly fresh mackerel is pretty good.

What is a vibrant shop out of interest? "Vibrant" is usually used as more of a meaning-free journalist word.

Market update for coming Sunday

Hi all,

We have one piece of bad news and two pieces of good news for you this weekend.

The bad news is that Oliver and Keith Dean of Ladywell Organic will no longer be able to attend the market, as they have too many irons in the fire at the moment.

The first piece of good news is that we have a fabulous new organic meat farm starting at the market this weekend - Galileo Farm from Warwickshire. They are new to selling in London, but their produce is such good quality that we have no doubt they will be a resounding success with the good people of Brixton. They are a traditional mixed farm, with a wide variety of different livestock, including geese, turkeys, chickens, beef, lamb and pork - so very few bases missed! All the produce is raised on their farm by the Peckham family - Simon, Fabienne and their children - and the care they put into their production is clear from a brief chat with either of them.

The second piece of good news is that Tony Fleck of Coombe Farm Turkeys had a fantastic first day at the market, very pleased with customers' reaction to his wafting turkey scents! If you missed him last week, you'll now get another chance to see him, on the 6th December, and place an order for your Christmas dinner.

Enjoy the market this weekend.

Sarah, Louise, Cheryl, Mark and Arthur

London Farmers' Markets

Really? Does that include any meat or fish shops? £5/kg at the market for incredibly fresh mackerel is pretty good.

What is a vibrant shop out of interest? "Vibrant" is usually used as more of a meaning-free journalist word.

I suppose vibrant is hard to define but I think the colours, the noise and how busy they are is what makes the shops I am talking about vibrant. Walking around Brixton markets, you would be hard pushed to define which continent you are in, never mind country!

For meat and fish I find myself going to Dombey for meat. The people there are really friendly and the guy who seems to be the main butcher is good to get advice off.

I am not a massive fan of fish. I tend to stick to white fish and go to the guys beside Franco Manca. Fillets of cod, things like that although there are definitely a lot more varieties on offer than what I tend to go in for.

Back
Top Bottom