Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farmers' market in Brixton

Or you can buy an off the shelf as you would do with Companies House. I've done a few - not that complicated - but I guess with more than 10 people represented it becomes a paper logistical nightmare.

Looks like it has been being run by these people

Griffin & Kendall (@GKandC) | Twitter

who also run a farmers' market at the Horniman.

The question I'm most interested in: why do Lambeth want it to be run by a CIC? Is it because they think it's the sort of thing people want to see - community run ventures instead of commercial ones? On the surface it seems like the kind of thing people here are often banging on about - community good, commercial evil. But I can see that from the traders point of view they might rather pay a certain amount for the thing to be run professionally, instead of having to be involved in the paperwork and responsibility and time commitments themselves. Something perhaps portrayed in the failure to get a CIC off the ground.

A parallel is what has been going on with the Adventure Playground in Loughborough Junction. After sitting at meetings with officers insisting that the Grove APG was not under threat it's now been shown that officers wanted to flog it off all along. Now we are told we have to raise the funds to get it up and running. That is what community run means in New Labour Progress Lambeth. Dumping the problem back onto already hard pressed residents.

I have talked to market traders. They find it an uphill battle dealing with Council officers. They have had to fight all the way to keep the street market going.

A parallel is what has been going on with the Adventure Playground in Loughborough Junction. After sitting at meetings with officers insisting that the Grove APG was not under threat it's now been shown that officers wanted to flog it off all along. Now we are told we have to raise the funds to get it up and running. That is what community run means in New Labour Progress Lambeth. Dumping the problem back onto already hard pressed residents.

I have talked to market traders. They find it an uphill battle dealing with Council officers. They have had to fight all the way to keep the street market going.

I don't see how it's a parallel really as there's not a commercial operation wanting to run the adventure playground is there? The farmers' market is a money-making operation, not a public service.

I don't see how it's a parallel really as there's not a commercial operation wanting to run the adventure playground is there? The farmers' market is a money-making operation, not a public service.
True. I don't know whether a CIC structure (instead of a commercial company running it in contract with Lambeth) means that the council would have no liability and no risk of incurring costs ?
I went to a small meeting the other day wrt to the playground, where the man from the council explained that everything including public liability insurance, safety inspections etc would be our responsibility; the council has no money to contribute whatsoever.

does that imply the recent works in Electric Avenue are a cover for something sinister? I saw that as an endorsement of the street market, am I being naive?

does that imply the recent works in Electric Avenue are a cover for something sinister? I saw that as an endorsement of the street market, am I being naive?
The illustration for the redevelopment tells its own story. Far fewer stalls. More trendy al fresco bollocks.

electric_avenue2.jpg

The feeling among the long term market traders I talk to is the Council doesn't support them. That the Council want the market to end up like Borough Market. They are also critical of the way they were consulted about the recent works in Electric Avenue.

Was just saying today, I'm sure giving the farmers market as tough a time as possible is intended to ensure a nice clear space for oupside seating for whatever chains move into station Road.

Was just saying today, I'm sure giving the farmers market as tough a time as possible is intended to ensure a nice clear space for oupside seating for whatever chains move into station Road.
In what way are they giving it "as tough a time as possible"?

Actually those wheelie suitcases annoy me far far more than bikes nicking parking space for adverts. Those things are lethal in the wrong hands.

Biggest success of any product shown on Dragon's Den that they didn't invest in.

Pesky locals buying afforable fresh food from farmer's cluttering up the Nu-Brixton space when their could be really useful stalls like for instance organic free range moustache wax and the like ....

b1-7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom