Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

I'm no street circuit fan, but that proposed Jeddah circuit looks a lot better than most.

It'll still offer tourism eye-candy being along the Corniche.

But at least there isn't a succession of 90-degree corners better suited to the weekend shopping run to Tesco.

I'd still prefer a proper track any day of the week, though.

:p

Has their ever been a genuinely good street circuit? Monaco doesn’t count.

Monaco is the shittest of the lot. The spectacle of the event doesn't for me outweigh just how awful the race inevitably is, and I'd happily see it binned from the WC. Exhibition event only.

Monaco is the shittest of the lot. The spectacle of the event doesn't for me outweigh just how awful the race inevitably is, and I'd happily see it binned from the WC. Exhibition event only.
It’s a ridiculous, stupid track. It has no place on the modern calendar. The races are equal parts boring and a crazy lottery.

But F1 wouldn’t be F1 without it. Get rid and you’d lose something that forms part of the soul of the sport. See also, Ferrari.

It’s a ridiculous, stupid track. It has no place on the modern calendar. The races are equal parts boring and a crazy lottery.

But F1 wouldn’t be F1 without it. Get rid and you’d lose something that forms part of the soul of the sport. See also, Ferrari.

Hence, exhibition event. They can race for the glory and the "F1 - Our Soul" trophy.

We collectively moan about every Tilke designed new track, we moan about the aero mods that make following and overtaking impossible, we moan about races turning into tyre management exercises instead of allowing flat out racing. Yet the annual farce that is Monaco gets a free pass because of soul? Not for me.

Hence, exhibition event. They can race for the glory and the "F1 - Our Soul" trophy.

We collectively moan about every Tilke designed new track, we moan about the aero mods that make following and overtaking impossible, we moan about races turning into tyre management exercises instead of allowing flat out racing. Yet the annual farce that is Monaco gets a free pass because of soul? Not for me.
Ask every driver which race they'd win if they could only pick one. Monaco is F1, even if it's ridiculous.

And you say I have no soul :p :D

I'm no street circuit fan, but that proposed Jeddah circuit looks a lot better than most.

It'll still offer tourism eye-candy being along the Corniche.

But at least there isn't a succession of 90-degree corners better suited to the weekend shopping run to Tesco.

I'd still prefer a proper track any day of the week, though.

:p
It looks like it could be a really fast circuit, I'm looking forward to the first race there

Just a reminder that Drive to Survive is back tomorrow
Its up on Netflix here the boss told me a couple of hours ago. She said something about binge watching it over the weekend as apparently we are in full lock-down here again, I hadn't noticed and haven't been reading the news as last time I saw the news it was still all about death and destruction. I'd much rather read a good book and translate F1 reports :)

Drive to Survive Season 3 for those without Netflix
I'm sure some people here don't have Netflix, but never fear, you can still watch Drive to Survive Season 3. Here is a link to episode 1 and you can follow the links towards the top of the page to the other episodes. I hope you enjoy it :) I use vidox.me if I watch anything from this site but if you don't have an ad blocker you will get some ads, you don't have to download anything to watch stuff from this site so don't download anything.

No spoilers please

F1's President and CEO on his long to-do list and the season ahead
The first couple of months in charge

It’s been quite active since I started on January 1 but I’m very happy to share this new start with all the people who are working together to make sure there is progress in Formula 1. There are certainly lots of things to do but I feel the energy and it’s great because after the winter and the situation we are living in with Covid-19, it’s great to see cars back on track. On returning to the paddock in Bahrain for pre-season testing as the President and CEO of Formula 1, it was great to see a lot of people that I have known for a long time and a lot of young drivers who are part of our family. We can’t wait for the season to get going.

Meeting the drivers and key stakeholders
On Thursday evening, ahead of the start of testing in Bahrain, I met with the drivers to discuss a range of topics. We had a constructive meeting and agreed that when we talk, we will keep it private and between us. It was important to share the start of this new journey together. As we have always said, the drivers are very important for F1. It’s why we need to keep them always informed. They have an active voice on what we need to share for the future of Formula 1. I speak also with the Team Principals as we are an organisation which needs to receive the inputs of all the stakeholders. Our role is to make sure we create the right environment for a successful sport and to make sure F1 is taken to another level in terms growth. This is why we need to speak to them on a regular basis.

The big task ahead
The to-do list is quite long. The first thing, of course, is to start this season in Bahrain. It’s not taken for granted. In this situation, with Covid-19, we need to proceed with the evolution of the pandemic. It’s great that with the protocols in place, it is possible to fly around the world and do the races. This is the first point. The second is that we must make sure we are looking into the future. We have a revolutionary new car coming next year, we’re discussing the new step of the power unit for 2025 and beyond and have very clear targets. Then on the other side, we must work on our ‘We Race As One’ platform. It is significant and we want to participate and have an active role in that.

An exciting time for Formula 1
You can see there’s a lot of good vibes among teams right now, a lot of new cars and a lot of expectation to make sure that before arriving at the new generation of cars for next year, this year’s championship will be special. Aston Martin’s arrival is a sign that Formula 1 is the centre of attention for OEMs. The ones that are here with us since a long know that. The installation of the budget cap means teams can be stable and the new car is a good vision for the future. To have Williams as an iconic brand for F1, and to have a stable platform for the future, is great. The mix between traditional teams and traditional brands, new brands, new OEMs coming in, with this incredible number of drivers, will give us the excitement. What we are doing is making sure the platform is stable, sustainable and strong for a brighter future. Formula 1 is on the right path.

[LOL just found this looks like I didn't press send yesterday]

Bring on F1 2021
What a great day, binge watching Drive to Survive Season 3 on Ayrton Senna birthday with Swiss chocolate and champagne :)

The big questions for me for 2021 are, how will Checo do against Max (I think he could really put Max under some pressure)? Will Danny Ric beat Lando? How will Aston Martin get on and who will come 3rd 4th 5th and 6th out of McLaren, Aston Martin, Renault and Ferrari?

Only one week to go now until 2021 really begins. Bring on Bahrain!!!! If you haven't watched Drive to survive and don't have Netflix there is a link here with all episodes available and its worth watching :)

Bring on F1 2021
What a great day, binge watching Drive to Survive Season 3 on Ayrton Senna birthday with Swiss chocolate and champagne :)

The big questions for me for 2021 are, how will Checo do against Max (I think he could really put Max under some pressure)? Will Danny Ric beat Lando? How will Aston Martin get on and who will come 3rd 4th 5th and 6th out of McLaren, Aston Martin, Renault and Ferrari?

Only one week to go now until 2021 really begins. Bring on Bahrain!!!! If you haven't watched Drive to survive and don't have Netflix there is a link here with all episodes available and its worth watching :)

I've watched 3 DtS so far and they are great.

Checo and Max could cause Merc some problems, Max having a decent wingman could bring them right up into it. (LH said so much in the Guardian so I claim no credit for this insight.) Although as you say the internal team rivalry could be one to watch once Perez gets comfortable in the team.

When does Limejuice post up the times for next week? I'm a bit worried I might have to look myself... :D

I binge watched it with Mrs D. It has reignited her interest in F1, she only started watching F1 after seasons 1 & 2 of DtS.

Watching that crash and the reactions was incredibly moving. And Grosjean's wife...

Mrs D is going to continue following Haas, but is unhappy with their drivers. When I offered to get her some Haas merchandise she said no, because of Mazepin, she likes the team, but thinks he shouldn't be driving for anyone, "sex assault." Her driver choices are Alonso and Perez as ones to watch for performance. She spent an hour reading up before making her choices. After years watching F1 on my own this is quite something.

When does Limejuice post up the times for next week? I'm a bit worried I might have to look myself... :D

Usually, about now.

:D

Eyes down, boys and girls, for another vroomtastic season of speed, noise, tantrums and grid penalties.

Bahrain has the honour of green-flagging the season. The UK times are:

Fri 26 Mar
FP1 - 11:30
FP2 - 15:00

Sat 27 Mar
FP3 - 12:00
Qual - 15:00

Sun 28 Mar *
Race - 16:00

* NB Clocks in the UK go forward early on Sunday morning. The 16:00 start is BST, which is GMT+1 hour.

ETA: The actual race start is 18:00 local time which is UTC+3 hours. That means race start is 15:00 UTC.

Further ETA: This confusion crops up twice a year. I vote we ban BST to make F1 easier to follow. F*ck the farmers! :p

Last edited:
Usually, about now.

:D

Eyes down, boys and girls, for another vroomtastic season of speed, noise, tantrums and grid penalties.

Bahrain has the honour of green-flagging the season. The UK times are:

Fri 26 Mar
FP1 - 11:30
FP2 - 15:00

Sat 27 Mar
FP3 - 12:00
Qual - 15:00

Sun 28 Mar *
Race - 16:00

* NB Clocks in the UK go forward early on Sunday morning. The 16:00 start is BST, which is GMT+1 hour.

ETA: The actual race start is 18:00 local time which is UTC+3 hours. That means race start is 15:00 UTC.

Further ETA: This confusion crops up twice a year. I vote we ban BST to make F1 easier to follow. F*ck the farmers! :p
Brazil stopped changing the clocks a couple of years ago, which has made life easier here in the NE. Here and a couple of other states didn't change the clocks at all, which meant that banks, government offices and some national business just opened an hour later and closed an hour later which was a pain in the arse sometimes. The sun comes up here at 5.30 every morning and goes down at 5,30 every night regardless of the time of year or season. Talking of seasons we really only have one, it summer here all year around :)

Williams appoints François-Xavier Demaison as Technical Director
Ahead of the 2021 F1 season, Williams Racing has announced another key change to its organization with the team appointing François-Xavier Demaison as Technical Director. Demaison will be responsible for the technical operation of the business including the Design and Aerodynamic functions. Williams’ new recruit will report to CEO, Jost Capito who took on his new role in the company on the 1st of February.

Demaison previously worked for Volkswagen Motorsport where he was responsible for the technical development of the ground-breaking and technology-leading, ID.R electric race car, that achieved multiple records at Pikes Peak and the Nurburgring. He was also responsible for the dominant Polo R WRC, which won all three titles in the World Rally Championship four times in a row from 2013 to 2016. During his career, he worked with both Renault and Peugeot on Formula One, Touring Car and World Rally projects before being appointed as Chief Rally Engineer for the Subaru World Rally team. He joined Volkswagen Motorsport in 2011, before becoming Technical Director with overall responsibility for all of the brand’s motorsport projects in 2016.

Jost Capito, Chief Executive Officer for Williams Racing said: “We are delighted to welcome FX to the team. I have seen his technical capabilities first-hand, and his sporting successes speak for themselves. Bringing in someone of his calibre to our already experienced technical team will help drive the future direction of our operation and strengthen our team. I have no doubt that his knowledge will contribute to us taking another important step towards our ambitions of winning again. At Williams, we have an exciting challenge ahead of us, and I look forward to seeing FX contribute as we continue on this journey.”

François-Xavier Demaison said. “I am really looking forward to joining Williams Racing, as they begin an exciting journey to turn their performance around. It’s going to be a great challenge, but one that I am eager to start. They have a great team of talented people, and I hope I can work with them and the senior management team to help carve out a direction for the future, to help the team achieve its ambitions.”

Why have Aston Martin and Mercedes opted for 'rippled' floors on their new cars?
Mercedes revealed their secretive new floor on the W12 at pre-season testing in Bahrain, with Aston Martin the other team to adopt a similar 'rippled' effect on that part of the car. So what does it do? And why have those two teams both opted for that design? Mark Hughes takes a close look in this week's Tech Tuesday feature, with with illustrations from Giorgio Piola. Question marks from testing surrounding the performance of both the Mercedes W12 and Aston Martin DBR21 should be answered this weekend as the season finally gets underway in Bahrain. They each suffered their problems during the three days of testing, not just confined to their shared-design gearbox. The Aston had a series of other mechanical niggles which prevented Sebastian Vettel from setting a representative time when the track was at its quickest, at the end of the final day, while the Mercedes was suffering from difficult handling which the team has been working hard at trying to understand ahead of this weekend.

The two cars are the product of the same original design principals, but as the two teams have continued their own development paths over the past year they are gradually diverging in their details but within the same broad aerodynamic philosophy. The Mercedes W12’s floor created much attention when the car first appeared in Bahrain testing, particularly the waves on the outboard edge just aft of the barge board area, replacing the larger pressure-reducing cut-outs that were commonplace before this season. The Aston Martin uses similar cut outs to the Mercedes in the floor edge but fewer of them (as you can see in the image below). They are doing much the same job in both instances, but the fact that this multiple ‘waves’ feature has appeared simultaneously on the only two low-rake cars is probably significant (rake angle referring to the ride height of the car, rear to front).

The general idea of these upturns on the floor’s edge are to create clockwise vortices of air which will travel down the length of the floor’s outer edge, helping seal it and thereby increasing the air pressure difference between the ambient and the underfloor, which in turn increases the downforce created by that underfloor. At slow car speeds, as underfloor airflow speed reduces, so it becomes more difficult to seal that floor.
image.jpg

In low-rake cars such as the Mercedes and Aston Martin, that airflow speed will tend to slow more than on a high-rake car (like the Red Bull) which can keep the floor’s flow energised by the greater expansion angle of the floor itself. It would appear that the low-rake cars, under the new regulations which have cut the floor area, need to energise that floor more by way of these sealing vortices. Another aerodynamic characteristic which can be more problematic for low-rake cars than high is the phenomenon of flutter whereby the airflow beneath the floor can reverberate off obstacles in a cyclic way, creating a disrupting effect unhelpful to the floor’s creation of downforce. It might be that the revised floor shape for this year has induced this trait more readily and that the vortices from the cut-outs are better able to break that cycle. Either way, finally finding out the true performance potential of each of these cars is going to be one of the more fascinating aspects of this weekend.

Brundle steps into the big time in Brazil
On this day in 1984, Sky F1's very own Martin Brundle stepped into the limelight, making his F1 debut at the Brazilian Grand Prix. Brundle qualified his Tyrrell-Cosworth 18th, a few spots ahead of team mate and fellow rookie Stefan Bellof, the performance earning the Briton a broad smile from Ken Tyrrell. "I think it will take me two or three races to feel completely at home," the young rookie told reporters at the time. "My heart still misses a beat when I get it into a slide!"

The next day, Brundle drove a no-nonsense race to cross the checkered flag a remarkable 5th. Alas, Tyrrell was later excluded from the results for various technical infringements.
MB-old-e1490392781344.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this season. Mercedes having a shit testing while Red Bull seem to be on fire will be interesting. I know Horner has said he thinks they were bluffing but I think Horner talks a load of old shit so I wouldn't put it past Max and Sergio getting some good early season results.

Then there is McLaren who are not only my favourite team, but now have my favourite driver (Danny Ric) and my favourite Brit (Lando). They've also been pacey in testing and have improved so much since the horror of the Button-Alonso-Honda nightmares.

Add in the return of a Schumacher, the arrival of a Russian spoilt brat, the comedy of Ferrari, the hope that George Russel will do well and the possible return of fans to Silverstone in July and all the ingredients are there for a great season. Can't wait for Sunday!

Back
Top Bottom