Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

I hope the organising body sorts out and clarifies its rules after this as it's not edifying for anybody. The ICC did exactly that (but quietly) after the England cricket world cup 'victory'.

I'm more disappointed with the sport that i have invested in for years than angry at the result

Max did nothing wrong by winning and lewis was comprimised by the Race Directors dodgy call at the end

the fact this happened on the greatest spetical the sport has produced since disappearing behind a paywall at the start of the hybrid ear

meaning i think neutral fans will see no point in watching next season because the race director can make up the rules as he goes along

He should be sitting in a room alone, with no outside influence in my opinion, or rather there should be lets say three of them in there, a mini committee, but without roided up massively arrogant team managers shouting in their ears.

Two different sources. Your sport needs to sort it's wording out though. And not put so much power in one man's hands!
What sources? Which rule gives the Race Director the discretion to do what he did. At most, 48.12 gives the discretion to keep the safety car out if it's still necessary - nothing relevant to what happened.

What sources? Which rule gives the Race Director the discretion to do what he did. At most, 48.12 gives the discretion to keep the safety car out if it's still necessary - nothing relevant to what happened.

you know even the f1 offical website is calling it a controversal result

Well here's another one. It's all very murky though.

On the speedy exit of the safety car, the stewards noted: “The race director also stated that it had long been agreed by all the teams that where possible it was highly desirable for the race to end in a ‘green’ condition.”

it greated one driver with a unfair advantage in what was a 2 horse race

during an event that started with both on equal points

the fia fucked it up but won't blame themselves publicly

why i respect the DWC result but Merc should push the appeal to punish the FIA's procedures

Last edited:
also the idea of Merc being childish with the appeal

Horner and Merko were talking about a post season ending complaint about mercedes car in the lead up to the weekend
and Helmet has already proclaimed if it goes anywhere redbull will think about pulling out of the sport

Well here's another one. It's all very murky though.

That's the Race Director excusing himself; not a rule.

Last edited:

The clerk of the course shall work in permanent consultation with the Race Director. The Race Director shall have overriding authority in the following matters and the clerk of the course may give orders in respect of them only with his express agreement:

a) The control of practice, sprint qualifying session and the race, adherence to the timetable and, if he deems it necessary, the making of any proposal to the stewards to modify the timetable in accordance with the Code or Sporting Regulations.
b) The stopping of any car in accordance with the Code or Sporting Regulations.
c) The stopping of practice, suspension of a sprint qualifying session or suspension of the race in accordance with the Sporting Regulations if he deems it unsafe to continue and ensuring that the correct restart procedure is carried out.
d) The starting procedure.
e) The use of the safety car.

Full FIA regs (PDF)

Apparently "overriding authority" includes over the other regulations in that document :thumbs: :D

Haven't found the exact wording of 15.3 yet.
It says:

15.3 The clerk of the course shall work in permanent consultation with the Race Director. The Race
Director shall have overriding authority in the following matters and the clerk of the course may
give orders in respect of them only with his express agreement:
a) The control of practice, sprint qualifying session and the race, adherence to the timetable
and, if he deems it necessary, the making of any proposal to the stewards to modify the
timetable in accordance with the Code or Sporting Regulations.
c) The stopping of practice, suspension of a sprint qualifying session or suspension of the
race in accordance with the Sporting Regulations if he deems it unsafe to continue and
ensuring that the correct restart procedure is carried out.

That's about who should prevail in the case of a disagreement between the Race Director and Clerk of the Course; it gives the Race Director overriding authority. But it does not give him unfettered discretion to ignore the rules!

It says:

15.3 The clerk of the course shall work in permanent consultation with the Race Director. The Race
Director shall have overriding authority in the following matters and the clerk of the course may
give orders in respect of them only with his express agreement:
a) The control of practice, sprint qualifying session and the race, adherence to the timetable
and, if he deems it necessary, the making of any proposal to the stewards to modify the
timetable in accordance with the Code or Sporting Regulations.
c) The stopping of practice, suspension of a sprint qualifying session or suspension of the
race in accordance with the Sporting Regulations if he deems it unsafe to continue and
ensuring that the correct restart procedure is carried out.

That's about who should prevail in the case of a disagreement between the Race Director and Clerk of the Course; it gives the Race Director overriding authority. But it does not give him unfettered discretion to ignore the rules!
I guess RB and the FIA are interpreting (in good faith or otherwise...) "The Race Director shall have overriding authority in the following matters" as simply "overriding authority over anything, in any situation".

I guess RB and the FIA are interpreting (in good faith or otherwise...) "The Race Director shall have overriding authority in the following matters" as simply "overriding authority over anything, in any situation".
That's a bizarre stretch, and one that'd render the rules meaningless. It's pathetic of them to cling to that. They'd be better simply saying that he got it wrong in the heat of the moment, but that, the interests of the sport are better served by results being final, even when wrong, if that's what they think.

I'm a relative latecomer to the sport, started watching when DC was driving for McLaren and have only really got under the skin of it in the last 10 years or so.

I find the whole backstage dramas, protests, handbags and willy waving absolutely fascinating. Almost as much as the wheel to wheel stuff on track. I do draw the line at this mismanagement by Masi/FIA.

However I think Merc should let this championship go. Appeal but only to make improvements to the system.

Masi's tell for me was when he pleaded, "Christian, Give me a minute." It reminded me of weak management I have crossed paths with before,

I do quite like the bitchy patronising way he took down the Mercedes boss on the last lap, after blatantly breaking the rules - "It’s called a motor race, Toto,”

I bet that went down a storm with the narcissistic bastards running these teams.

I do quite like the bitchy patronising way he took down the Mercedes boss on the last lap, after blatantly breaking the rules - "It’s called a motor race, Toto,”

I bet that went down a storm with the narcissistic bastards running these teams.
That has to be one of the outstanding exchanges of the season.

Just seen this, he is a S*n journo so apologies for that but not a direct link so hope that's OK. I had a quick glance at his timeline and he does seem to know people so it could well be true.

I desperately wanted to click on the link to Toto crowd surfing but fuck the S*n JFT96

So many unanswered questions, but one still sticks out for me. Why didn't the following conversation happen?

"Valterri, it's James. Lewis is in front, but Max is right behind on brand new softs. If the safety car goes in, there will be one lap of racing."

"Understood."

<Parks on the racing line, removes steering wheel and throws it into the crowd>

So many unanswered questions, but one still sticks out for me. Why didn't the following conversation happen?

"Valterri, it's James. Lewis is in front, but Max is right behind on brand new softs. If the safety car goes in, there will be one lap of racing."

"Understood."

<Parks on the racing line, removes steering wheel and throws it into the crowd>
And Bottas thinks, "Fuck it, I'm not here next season, let's give Max a chance, see how good he is when it's balls out racing."

And Bottas thinks, "Fuck it, I'm not here next season, let's give Max a chance, see how good he is when it's balls out racing."
On a pair of brand new soft boots vs 35 lap worn hard tyres. You can argue the legalities or otherwise until the end of time, but you can't argue it was made into a fair fight that Verstappen somehow pluckily triumphed in.

Back
Top Bottom