Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

Official statement: Mercedes withdraws appeal

The unworthy aftermath of the Formula 1 final in Abu Dhabi has come to an end. As Mercedes announced in a statement, the racing team withdraws the appeal against the race result. The crazy and controversial Formula 1 final in Abu Dhabi does not get an extension in front of any courts and green tables: Mercedes has withdrawn the appeal against the race result. The racing team announced this on Thursday. This means that Max Verstappen is the final and official Formula 1 world champion. The Dutchman will receive the World Cup trophy on Thursday at the gala of the World Automobile Federation.

The statement in full.
Dear Formula 1 community and fans,
When we left Abu Dhabi on Sunday, we still couldn’t believe what had just happened there. Of course, it also includes losing a race from time to time. But it’s something completely different when you lose faith in racing itself. Together with Lewis, we carefully considered how we should react to the events at the Formula 1 season finale. We have always been guided by our love for the sport and we believe that every competition should be decided on the basis of athletic performance. However, on Sunday many – including us – felt that the way things had turned out wasn’t right.

The reason for our protest against the race result on Sunday was a new application of the safety car rules, which affected the race result after Lewis had deservedly led almost the entire race and was thus on course for the title. We appealed in terms of sporting fairness and since then we have had a constructive dialogue with the FIA and Formula 1 in order to ensure clarity in the future. The point is that all participants know the rules under which they race and at the same time understand how these rules are enforced. We therefore welcome the decision by the FIA to set up a commission to thoroughly analyze what is happening in Abu Dhabi and to improve the robustness of the regulations, control and decision-making in Formula 1. We also appreciate that the FIA has invited the teams and drivers to take part.

The Mercedes-AMG Petronas Team will work actively with the Commission to create a better Formula 1 – for all teams and all fans who love this sport as much as we do. The FIA is responsible for this and we are hereby withdrawing our appeal. To Max Verstappen and Red Bull Racing: We would like to express our sincere respect for your successes this year. You made this season an absolutely epic Formula 1 title fight. Max, we warmly congratulate you and your entire team.

We look forward to continuing our competition next season. Although the drivers’ world championship did not come to the end we wished for, we would like to conclude by saying that we couldn’t be more proud of our team. Lewis, you are the greatest racing driver in Formula 1 history and you’ve blown your heart out on every single lap of this incredible season. You are an impeccable sportsman and a role model for millions of people around the world. We take our hats off to you. Valtteri, you were an important part of this team and helped win five Constructors’ World Championships in as many seasons. Thank you very much for your remarkable contribution to our motorsport history. Kiitos, Valtteri.

Last but not least, we are addressing all the talented and passionate women and men of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team in Brackley and at High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth: By winning the eighth Constructors’ title in a row, you have a historic chapter in the Silver Arrow -Story written. That is an unprecedented achievement. In short: It is terrific – you are awesome!

got to ponder did they offer Merc some financial incentives to drop the appeal as well as sign up to be part of the investigation

Amen to that! I’m very happy he’s getting such an enduring award which recognises how special his contribution has been. His honour for “services to the fashion industry“ might be somewhat delayed i guess.
It’s definitely been a vintage year for F1 discussion on here. What is it, 160+ page thread now? We‘ve never made it past 100 pages before.

Hope some of the lurkers who emerged to comment on the past two races stick around and join the regulars in the 2022 thread. The more the merrier :thumbs: Also, thanks to 1%er for the useful news clippings service provided this year, some interesting bits of F1 news and gossip appeared via his updates which I would have overlooked otherwise.

I just need the Merc protest against the Stewards decision to get dismissed so I can collect my 3.75:1 odds bet on Verstappen winning WDC which I placed during pre-season testing. Shame it was only 50kr (about £4.50) I put down 😆😅
Enjoy your winnings!!

Toto Wolff has come out with some quite punchy statements, following Abu Dhabi

He added: "It's not only a decision to change the race director; the whole system of decision-making needs to be improved. The race director is certainly under big pressure and some of that is due to our own faults."

The Austrian added: "We cannot continue in a sport that is meant to be sport followed by entertainment and not the other way around.

"The consistency of the rules is important and no decision should happen contrary to the rules just to spice up the action.

He also said he “could not guarantee if Hamilton would continue to race in F1.” which sounds like he thinks there’s some doubt whether Lewis will turn up in 2022. Emergency recall of Bottas to sit alongside Russell next year?

After the movie Senna, we all know how much more impact the stories which play out on the racetrack can many years later when they are given a dramatic airing on the big screen and capture the public’s imagination. I can only imagine how hard they will work the story of the injustice of Abu Dhabi 2021 when the movie of Lewis’s life gets made.

Mind you, I’m still incredulous over the “no investigation necessary“ first lap corner cut at turn 7, so what happened at the end of the race wasn’t the only balls up from race control, and Lewis benefitted from that first one. Masi must surely get replaced as he’s just not up to the job.

Mind you, I’m still incredulous over the “no investigation necessary“ first lap corner cut at turn 7, so what happened at the end of the race wasn’t the only balls up from race control, and Lewis benefitted from that first one. Masi must surely get replaced as he’s just not up to the job.
There were, arguably, two bad decisions, the first corner, and the final safety car.

No matter how often I look at this I can't see why Hamilton wasn't instructed to switch position. The on board shows that Max was ahead, Hamilton was squeezed, but cut the corner, and gained a big advantage.

I don't hear Mercedes protesting about the first bad decision. Not that they would, after all they "won" that one.

There were, arguably, two bad decisions, the first corner, and the final safety car.

No matter how often I look at this I can't see why Hamilton wasn't instructed to switch position. The on board shows that Max was ahead, Hamilton was squeezed, but cut the corner, and gained a big advantage.

I don't hear Mercedes protesting about the first bad decision. Not that they would, after all they "won" that one.
I agree, but also I don’t think it would have happened without the context of Max’s over-the-limit defences in earlier races this year, where he “oops, accidentally slid too deep“ whenever Lewis was on the outside of him at corner entry.

But that doesn’t make it right and each incident has to be judged in isolation really and in this case, Max made a clean pass and had won the corner, so Lewis diving off to cut across and stay in front was not on IMHO. It’s not like Lewis had to leave the track - he had the option of following Max and probably would have soon been back past him.

I‘ve watched F1 long enough and remember how Charlie Whiting was always consistent in defending the principle that you can’t go off track and gain (or keep) an advantage, so he would never have let Lewis do that.

I agree, but also I don’t think it would have happened without the context of Max’s over-the-limit defences in earlier races this year, where he “oops, accidentally slid too deep“ whenever Lewis was on the outside of him at corner entry.

But that doesn’t make it right and each incident has to be judged in isolation really and in this case, Max made a clean pass and had won the corner, so Lewis diving off to cut across and stay in front was not on IMHO. It’s not like Lewis had to leave the track - he had the option of following Max and probably would have soon been back past him.

I‘ve watched F1 long enough and remember how Charlie Whiting was always consistent in defending the principle that you can’t go off track and gain (or keep) an advantage, so he would never have let Lewis do that.
Exactly.

And given Hamilton's pace through the race Max wouldn't have held first for long.

Awesome analysis from Chainbear of the problems with how FIA ran things in Abu Dhabi (and in general this year). Pure common sense.

Seeming as kimi has retired could lewis come back with the number 7 on his car just to wind up verstappen

:hmm:

Last edited:
he running the number 1 on his car next year instead of his racing number 33

because he is the defending drivers world champion

we have no idea about next years cars but at this stage it will be red bull and whoever is in the merc

but if max wants to show off the number one car and a 7 time drivers world champion pulls up next to him

would make a good picture at least :)

I wondered about this knighthood thing. First why would Hamilton want it? He doesn't even live here now no? and as Ecclestone says Hamilton didn't exactly do it for the glory of Britain. I guess mainly I don't understand why Hamilton would want to be a knight?

The son of a friend drove against, and beat Lewis Hamilton back in his karting days, went on to become Scottish junior karting champion.

Strange thing life, Lewis stayed on the rails, made his way up through racing, and ended up as multiple world champion.

Graeme went completely off the rails, ended up up dying of a heroin overdose in the toilets of MacDonalds in Inverness at the age of 22.

Two lads, two huge talents, very different outcomes. :(

lB2f6DM.jpg

This seems a... complex arrangement?

Mick Schumacher will combine his race seat at Haas in 2022 with a role as Ferrari's reserve driver.

The 22-year-old German will share the Ferrari reserve position with former Alfa Romeo driver Antonio Giovinazzi.
Giovinazzi will assume the role at 12 races while Schumacher will fill in at the other 11 when the Italian is racing in Formula E.

Schumacher's race seat at Haas would be taken by Brazilian Pietro Fittipaldi if the German was needed by Ferrari.

:hmm:

Actually, saying that, is it very different from Russell and Mercedes? Not sure how common these kind of "main driver for one team and reserve for another" arrangements are?

Back
Top Bottom