Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

The Sainz impression had me LOLing

The Ricciardo impression reminded me of...

creature_comforts_short.jpg

I’ve just been reading about the possible penalties for the yellow flag infringements which Verstappen, Sainz and Bottas are being investigated for this morning. 3 place grid drops for Botty and Sainz are anticipated for their passing of single waved yellows without slowing and maybe a 5 place grid drop for Max because he passed double waved yellows.

If this happens, Gasly, who caused the yellow flags, will be up to second on the grid! 😆 Good driving from the Gazman… Schumacher-esq!

It would also put the Fernadinator into P3, with a long drag down to corner 1 and a well established reputation for gaining places around the outside of corners in the opening lap. Odds on Nando leading at end of lap 1?!

Last edited:
Interesting thread about what various drivers encountered when Gasly's car was slowed on the straight.

(You need to click the tweet to open it in Twitter in order to see the thread. Sorry)

Pirelli expects two-stop strategy at high-energy Losail

Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli says teams are unlikely to be able to stop just once at the Qatar Grand Prix due to the high-energy nature of the circuit. Pirelli has brought its hardest compound tyres to Losail in order to deal with the demands of the circuit. Losail features several medium- and high-speed corners, most prominently in the final sector, where there was a sequence of turns taken at full throttle during qualifying.

Pirelli expects a two-stop Medium-Hard-Medium strategy to be favoured but outlined that various combinations of compounds can be used. It has outlined that it doubts a one-stop strategy is feasible due to expected wear. Both Mercedes drivers, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz will start on the Mediums while the remainder of the top 10 will use Softs for the first stint. The rest of the field will have free choice of starting compound. “With just short stints in qualifying, and FP3 taking place in the heat of the day (with a focus on qualifying) the teams can only rely on FP2 for relevant long-run information, which is crucial when it comes to formulating the strategy,” said Pirelli chief Mario Isola. “Under these challenging circumstances they will want to keep their options as open as possible, which is why the championship contenders chose to start on the Medium tyre. However, as Q2 showed, it wasn’t easy to get through the session on the medium, so we’re set for an interesting mix of strategies with many factors still relatively unknown.”

The yellow flag rules are very clear but there is a get out if the stewards want to give Red Bull another break, that seems to be the order of the day at the moment. The stewards could decide that the "yellow flag wasn't conveyed accurately to the drivers" thus giving the teams a get out of jail card.

The yellow flag rules are very clear but there is a get out if the stewards want to give Red Bull another break, that seems to be the order of the day at the moment. The stewards could decide that the "yellow flag wasn't conveyed accurately to the drivers" thus giving the teams a get out of jail card.
The rules are that if flags are waved by Marshalls, you obey them - not the led screens or cockpit guides. This isn't a grey area, those flags were waved or they weren't, drivers obeyed them or they didn't.

And most importantly, this isn't a technical infringement where boundaries are there to be pushed. Rule no.1 is that whatever else happens, all of the drivers and everybody trackside make it home safely.

The rules are that if flags are waved by Marshalls, you obey them - not the led screens or cockpit guides. This isn't a grey area, those flags were waved or they weren't, drivers obeyed them or they didn't.

And most importantly, this isn't a technical infringement where boundaries are there to be pushed. Rule no.1 is that whatever else happens, all of the drivers and everybody trackside make it home safely.
Yes, what I said was "The yellow flag rules are very clear", but I was pointing to they only exception where a driver wasn't penalised, which is the "yellow flag wasn't conveyed accurately to the drivers". The reason I pointed it out is because the point was just made on Brazilian TV.

Edit: I've just been told by someone who was paying slightly more attention than I was at the time, they were talking about an event that happened in 2017 where a driver passed one yellow flashing light, but when looked at from the onboard camers it was clear that the light was partly obsured I believe by a brake marker board, the driver was not penalised. If they repete this report I'll make a point of getting the name of both the driver and track :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom