Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

The governors on the phone, so maybe we are going out for dinner. I was hoping for poached egg rolls and some online poker :hmm:

discover-ferrero-homepage-thumbnail.png

I used to like F1, now it is merely another strand in the USA's global "entertainment" hegemony. Aside from the bizarrely proportioned "athletes" and other talent free "stars" it would appear that the biggest fan. supporter and promoter of "Lets all be Murkan now" is Hamilton :- "What an amazing crowd - to perform in front of you guys is such an honour. This is definitely our acceptance into the US. I hope we get more races out here and the sport continues to grow." - Note the correct spelling of "honour", the line was lifted from the BBC - how long before "Liberty" have clauses preventing their "talent" having such wantonly Un-American language banned?
Can we have just one of our old time sporting successes stories being possible to enjoy without having to swallow quite so much stomach turning sycophancy to the mighty dollah? We seem, specifically this country, to enjoy grovel status with regard to the USA and their clients (Saudi and all the Gulf States - Israel seems keen only to buy property and commercial businesses so far, well done Israel!!)
As for Hamilton - it doesn't sound "humble" your "respect" for the "fans" - simply sounds like marketing garbage written for the post Oprah "look how much I suffered" era. Perhaps he could become some of "caring" double glazing salesman after he leaves F1
Right old fart mega mild rant over, bit like the way yer Gran rubbed in her displeasure at something...."no not angry, just disappointed".

I used to like F1, now it is merely another strand in the USA's global "entertainment" hegemony. Aside from the bizarrely proportioned "athletes" and other talent free "stars" it would appear that the biggest fan. supporter and promoter of "Lets all be Murkan now" is Hamilton :- "What an amazing crowd - to perform in front of you guys is such an honour. This is definitely our acceptance into the US. I hope we get more races out here and the sport continues to grow." - Note the correct spelling of "honour", the line was lifted from the BBC - how long before "Liberty" have clauses preventing their "talent" having such wantonly Un-American language banned?
Can we have just one of our old time sporting successes stories being possible to enjoy without having to swallow quite so much stomach turning sycophancy to the mighty dollah? We seem, specifically this country, to enjoy grovel status with regard to the USA and their clients (Saudi and all the Gulf States - Israel seems keen only to buy property and commercial businesses so far, well done Israel!!)
As for Hamilton - it doesn't sound "humble" your "respect" for the "fans" - simply sounds like marketing garbage written for the post Oprah "look how much I suffered" era. Perhaps he could become some of "caring" double glazing salesman after he leaves F1
Right old fart mega mild rant over, bit like the way yer Gran rubbed in her displeasure at something...."no not angry, just disappointed".
It’s certainly true there’s a lot of BS in F1 (and probably all global sports), and maybe it’s worse or more noticeable at the US GP, but to be fair this “cult of the celebrity“ thing has been going on at least a decade, probably more.

The cut away shots to a vacuous celeb during a live race, the Martin Brundle grid interview with someone who is waiting to find out what the hell this “F1“ is (used to be Bernie leading Brundle by the microphone to said celeb) and finally the celeb handed the chequered flag with just enough training to fuck up the waving of it.

It’s not pretty, it annoys the hell out of most fans, but still they do it. It cheapens the sport IMHO, this deference to radio jingle singers and Instagram models, but I don’t think it’s a US GP specific issue and it was happening well before Liberty took over.

Lewis does rub shoulders with said US celeb class and has been inviting some of them to GPs for a long time. It’s part of who he is. Like him or not (and plenty of people don’t), he won’t be changing.

McLaren's CEO Is Out

The signs from McLaren have been worrying for a while now, particularly after the company sold its iconic headquarters in April for $236 million. Now, its CEO has resigned. That would be Mike Flewitt, who took the job in July 2013. Flewitt is known for saying a good thing about cars once, and also declaring McLaren too cool to make an SUV. I’m not sure McLaren is in trouble, exactly, but the pandemic has not been kind to it, like other automakers. Its Formula 1 team is also very middling. McLaren in 2021 doesn’t seem to have much of a point, in other words, especially in an age of EVs, and it doesn’t seem to be in the exalted space where Ferrari is, able to get by getting high on its own supply.

Anyway, according to Bloomberg, McLaren has turned the page:
McLaren Automotive Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Mike Flewitt will step down after eight years leading the closely held company, which has started a search for a successor.
The Woking, England-based supecar maker said Wednesday that Michael Macht, a McLaren Group non-executive director, will oversee technical and operational functions, while Chairman Paul Walsh will lead sales, marketing and public relations. Flewitt joined McLaren as chief operating officer in June 2012, and became CEO just over a year later.
The carmaker controlled by Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat has been repairing its finances after the pandemic halted production and scuppered the Formula 1 racing franchise. In July, McLaren raised 550 million pounds ($755 million) from existing investors and the sale of preference shares and equity warrants to new backers Ares Management Corp. and Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund. It also raised $620 million from a bond issue.

Bloomberg also says that McLaren is thinking about going public via SPAC, like so many others have done or considered, which feels like something you do when you don’t quite have the juice. If you’re curious about what McLaren is doing with EVs, Flewitt had this to say about McLaren them earlier this month:

What about electric cars – will we see a McLaren EV?
“Yes, but not until the latter part of this decade. It’s hard to get the balance of power and range with performance cars. You could have an extremely fast EV, but it will have very little range – and it won’t offer enough engagement and excitement.
“Primarily, we make cars that are exciting, and performance is part of that. Yet a lot of that sensation also comes from the powertrain, and that’s missing with EVs.
“I think our GT product range will be first to go electric, then it will evolve into the supercars. We have a couple of development cars running around, and we’re working on chassis dynamics. We want to make an EV that’s as thrilling as the 765LT you’re driving today.”
I hope McLaren gets through this, because I don’t want to live in a world without McLaren. I’m guessing, sadly, that will require an SUV.

Its Formula 1 team is also very middling. McLaren in 2021 doesn’t seem to have much of a point, in other words, especially in an age of EVs,
Middling? I'd say Ricciardo's win (1-2 in fact), their strong showing in the constructors' championship and Norris' emergence as a genuinely challenging talent says otherwise. 2021 has been a real statement of "McLaren is back!"

The world of hypercars is not about EVs, yet. The fully electric hypercars like the Rimmac are still fringe - it will only be when the 2000bhp Lotus finally hits the streets and tracks that EVs will genuinely be in the conversation.

Until then, alongside the likes of Bugatti, Koeniggsegg and Pagani, the real superstars are the hybrids. Like the LaFerrari, the Porsche 918 and errrrrrrr... the McLaren P1.

What an odd tone of article.

Andale! Andale!

This week Formula 1 climbs through the clouds to the breathless heights and daylight heists of Mexico City.

The UK times for this spicy treat will be:

Fri 5 Nov (Fizz! Bang!)
FP1 - 17:30
FP2 - 21:00

Sat 6 Nov
FP3 - 17:00
Qual - 20:00

Sun 7 Nov
Race - 19:00

For those who live in-the-foreign - may the prophets bless your camels and seraglios - be advised that Ol' Blighty has just now dropped this summer time nonsense and reverted to sensible, proper Greenwich Mean Time. The times above are therefore UTC plus and minus zero.

To bowdlerise Al Murray, we own the prime meridian, and Sergio can't sit down for his refried beans and salsa breakfast until we say so.

Hasta el viernes y adios!

:)

I hope McLaren gets through this, because I don’t want to live in a world without McLaren. I’m guessing, sadly, that will require an SUV.

McLarens have terrible residual values as an inevitable corollary of their abysmal build quality. As most of the cars in that segment are leased MCA had to guarantee the residual values to the lessors. This has cost them an absolute mountain of cash as the guaranteed end-of-lease payments have vastly outstripped the value of the cars.

This and most of their other problems come from being too small. Their obvious move would be to partner with a tier one OEM and/or give up in the powertrain business and buy off the peg (see also Aston-Martin and Land Rover).

They are providing the very traditionally British sports car: brilliant driving experience, miserable ownership experience. So they'll probably go the way of most other British sports car manufacturers.

Andale! Andale!

This week Formula 1 climbs through the clouds to the breathless heights and daylight heists of Mexico City.

The UK times for this spicy treat will be:

Fri 5 Nov (Fizz! Bang!)
FP1 - 17:30
FP2 - 21:00

Sat 6 Nov
FP3 - 17:00
Qual - 20:00

Sun 7 Nov
Race - 19:00

For those who live in-the-foreign - may the prophets bless your camels and seraglios - be advised that Ol' Blighty has just now dropped this summer time nonsense and reverted to sensible, proper Greenwich Mean Time. The times above are therefore UTC plus and minus zero.

To bowdlerise Al Murray, we own the prime meridian, and Sergio can't sit down for his refried beans and salsa breakfast until we say so.

Hasta el viernes y adios!

:)
I thought it was last Sunday :) LOL The calander on page 1 said it was on the 31st Oct, I'll have to be better prepared :)

Former Williams aerodynamicist Terzi dies in car crash

Former Williams and Ferrari Formula 1 aerodynamicist Antonia Terzi has died following a car crash in the United Kingdom. She was 50. Terzi, who was born in Italy, was best known in F1 circles for having been the inspiration for the famous 'walrus nose' that appeared on the Williams FW26 in 2004. Having studied aerodynamics in Italy and the UK, Terzi's F1 career began at Ferrari, where she worked under Rory Byrne until 2001. After making a good impression, she moved to Williams to become the team's chief aerodynamicist, and played a key role in the team's race-winning push during its engine partnership with German manufacturer BMW.

She most famously helped the team cause a stir ahead of the 2004 season when the FW26 was revealed with its unique 'Walrus nose' concept. The idea was for Williams to shorten the nose as much as possible in a bid to maximise downforce and minimise drag – with the twin 'tusk' pylons sloping down to act as an attachment for the front wing. While Williams was convinced on the benefits of the design, the FW26 proved tricky to set up and, by the Hungarian Grand Prix, the team switched to a more conventional nose configuration.

Williams ended the season in better shape, with Juan Pablo Montoya taking a famous pole position at the Italian Grand Prix and winning the final race of the campaign in Brazil. After the challenging season in which rival Ferrari's F2004 proved dominant, Terzi left the Grove-based squad and was replaced by Loic Bigois.

She moved away from F1 and took on a role at Bentley as head of aerodynamics. More recently she devoted times towards academic ventures. Terzi was employed as assistant professor by the Delft University of Technology, which is the Netherlands' oldest and largest public technical university. She worked in the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering. One of her ongoing projects there was the Superbus, a fully electrical vehicle made of composite materials that featured 'gull wing' doors and could carry up to 23 passengers. Last year she was appointed as full professor at the Australian National University in Canberra, where she was planning to move once COVID travel restrictions had eased.

Back
Top Bottom