Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F*ck Coventry

Several years ago you’d have been right but doubt whether many premier league clubs would be prepared to take a punt on an English manager now - even a promotion winner. Even clubs like Brighton and Brentford now seem committed to continental coaches.
Newcastle have done well from it this season but i agree. I thought Dyche would have been in high demand.

Oh I always liked the two tone one. I mean cov can fuck off obvs but I was fond of the ska strip.

I actually have a soft spot for Coventry.
My grandmother settled there after leaving Ireland..
(Thankfully my mother had already landed in London...) :)
So I have a lot of relatives there..
Uncles and cousins have season tickets..
Have memories of being taking to the old Highfield Road as a kid..
Midlands football clubs were quite exciting back then.. 70's...
Oh and this iconic free kick..
The fuckers in power banned it at the end of that season in 1970..

I actually have a soft spot for Coventry.
My grandmother settled there after leaving Ireland..
(Thankfully my mother had already landed in London...) :)
So I have a lot of relatives there..
Uncles and cousins have season tickets..
Have memories of being taking to the old Highfield Road as a kid..
Midlands football clubs were quite exciting back then.. 70's...
Oh and this iconic free kick..
The fuckers in power banned it at the end of that season in 1970..

Gawd, I remember that goal and the banning. Why would you ban something creative and exciting?

I don’t understand on what grounds they could ban that.
From memory, something like a free kick had to be a strike of the ball rather than something where you began the move with your foot already in contact with it. Not sure if I've got that right though, as you sometimes see players taking a free kick with their studs on top of the ball and just rolling it to another player.

Edit: yes, something like that:

FIFA banned the trick​

Now, it's easy to see why FIFA brought the axe down on the 'donkey' trick because it required Carr to have sustained contact with the ball as opposed to a rudimentary touch in order to flick it up.

'Back of the Net: 100 Golden Goals' by Billy Edgar explains that FIFA's decision revolved around the fact that the ball was not considered to have moved its full circumference before the second touch.

Last edited:
This is going to be shit isn't it. Wiped the floor with them in the first half. Now Luton will probably lose on penalties.

Given I only go to Kenilworth. once a season, don’t like football and aren’t a Hatters fan I am caring far too much.

Can barely watch this.

Good old Luton. So pleased from them. Gives hope to FGR JimW ?
Funny one, we're supposed to be down on Edwards after he left us in slightly poor circumstances post promotion but good luck to him in my opinion. We'll need to improve recruitment, have lost the backroom lot who assembled his champion side and Big Dunc is quite a different type of manager.

congratulations to luton

didn't really have strong feelings either way on this match, ultimately seems right that luton who finished third, go up.

i've never really agreed with the concept of play-offs, a league should be about how you do over however many matches there are in a season, not a mini cup competition at the end of it. (although aware there's a certain irony in saying this as a charlton fan...)

Back
Top Bottom