Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F*ck Wrexham - the 23/24 League Two Thread

sadly I think Hollywood FC will go on a massive run now and really squeeze the fun out of this division
Though Notts making the early running after that shocker against Sutton opening day.
Normally very anti the Pizza Cup but we did have a good run out last night beating a reasonably strong Shrewsbury second string side with our own kids and subs. Much as the B team comp has been spoiled, good to finally score more than one and can't be bad for morale. Apparently Salop started pretty well and our sub keeper Searle pulled off a string of good saves before we took over second half.

Home to above-mentioned childhood faves the Alex. We don't win at home and they haven't been winning away so draw would be obvious choice, but think we're starting to click so feeling optimistic.

It was all looking so good at half time, thought it was an even first half with difference being we stuck in a rebound and they didn't, but on reflection warning signs were there as they were getting down the wings pretty much at will. All fell apart second half, we just conceded midfield all together and ended up on the wrong end of FOUR goals while losing any snap of our own going forward. First time I think Horseman has got things wrong. Dabo looked all right after he came on was about the only positive.

The search for a new manager begins again at Tranmere after Daws was sacked following the 2 nil loss at Colchester. Nigel Adkins, Director of Football, has taken over on a temporary basis.

Now starting to think we're cursed. Rock bottom Doncaster came and gave it an excellent go but we hit post, crossbar and fluffed a thousand other chances then finally equalise only for our returning star defender to do his knee and us concede a worldie from distance five minutes into injury time, while xG had us 3 to their .5. we can't buy a point at home, let alone a win.

Expected defeat at Notts who were through us like knife/butter on more occasions than I care to recall but having gone two down made a surprising go of it, Deeney proving he's still got it with a hattrick and almost rescued a point with a header off the bar at the death. On one hand, losses racking up, on the other plenty there to feel positive about. Midfield is still largely absent though.

Not to be and then some, really concerning shambles from us. Morecambe no great shakes but better than us in every department and won barely breaking a sweat. we're getting basics wrong and starting with a midfield pairing of lightweights who get overrun every week.

Away at Stockport tonight. Away is good, the opposition being Stockport not so much. If we start with the same formation of mini-me midfield and yawning gaps it'll be a pumping. Wee small hours local time but as it's a half term here and I don't have to do the school run think I'll get up to watch, more fool me.

Does anyone want the rather bitter title changed to something more appropriate? Just a suggestion!
I've not got anything against Wrexham, always enjoyed my visits, and the Hollywood boys are by no means the worst owners in the league.

I've not got anything against Wrexham, always enjoyed my visits, and the Hollywood boys are by no means the worst owners in the league.
I feel the same so it seems strange to such a hate-filled title for a general discussion of the season in League Two.

Does anyone want the rather bitter title changed to something more appropriate? Just a suggestion!
I object to the fact that the (ugh) MSM only give a shit about lower league football when there are ‘stars’ associated with it. To a certain extent I admire what the owners are doing, but it’s like thinking only Man City count in the premier.

On the other hand, my title for the Women’s football thread is appealing, my drunkenness was no excuse and I would be grateful if you changed that. I just didn’t want it to have ‘women’ in the title as it shouldn’t have been necessary.

I object to the fact that the (ugh) MSM only give a shit about lower league football when there are ‘stars’ associated with it. To a certain extent I admire what the owners are doing, but it’s like thinking only Man City count in the premier.

On the other hand, my title for the Women’s football thread is appealing, my drunkenness was no excuse and I would be grateful if you changed that. I just didn’t want it to have ‘women’ in the title as it shouldn’t have been necessary.
I think the Wrexham show is actually doing a brilliant job of promoting lower league football and I think a lot of clubs will benefit in the long term.

I think the Wrexham show is actually doing a brilliant job of promoting lower league football and I think a lot of clubs will benefit in the long term.
I think you’re being wildly optimistic, but am more than happy to accept wider opinion.

First half not really strayed from the script though we did manage the odd foray forward, but nothing like the quality of Barry and not helped by the two goals being largely our own doing, first one missing three chances to clear and second a lazy pass giving it away in midfield.

Got no better second half though we managed not to concede again despite Lavinier getting himself sent off for a blatant second yellow fairly early. Routine for Stockport who are tidy all over and have the real quality up front with Barry and Sarcevic. Into the bottom two.

Another day, another dogshit display. One down at the half. Accrington not exactly barnstorming but turns out you only need to get the occasional simple one right and we'll let you in. Nothing in midfield whatsoever.

Didn't get any better, slight late flurry when Accy made a few changes and pulled one back but offered too little, and Accy have all sorts of problems of their own. These are the winnable games, but not for us. Will have to dump Horseman really because although the players aren't really putting in the effort either they seem to be going backwards under him. And he was another like Burchnall who talked a good game but apparently more coach than manager.

When the home dam burst it really was a flood. Two pretty poor sides first half but we were the better, went ahead with a bit of luck as their keeper spilled a shot from range. Weird incident with indirect free kick from six yards out after adjudged backpass, silly and a bit unfair but we charged it down. Then almost straight from restart their lad on yellow Mingi gives away another blatant cardable and we're 11 vs 10. For once we make it count, pegging away and finally go two up midway, then Col U seem to mostly give up and we bang them in from all over, including one in injury time. We even had a stonewall penalty waved away, can only think sympathy as it was 5-0 at the time. Shame as one more and we'd have been out of bottom two on GD. Just Stags up next then.

Thought you'd be happy today. And the Alex won.
The Crewe game was awful for us. Within 10 minutes we are a goal down because we were defending too deep and couldn't match their attacking speed. Then in the second half our goalie loses his head and handles the ball outside the area because the defence had gone missing and gets a red card. Cue some of our hot headed fans verbally abusing the linesman and chucking stuff onto the pitch. Ref stops the game, has a heated discussion with Crewe safety team asking them to put more stewards and security on the pitch perimeter. This takes about 10 minutes for Crewe to organize and the Cheshire plod didn't seem too interested in getting involved. Eventually game restarts and from the free kick we are now 2 nil down.
The team are in complete disarray and no one seems able to steady the downward spiral.

Only game off in the division but Colchester losing at home to Harrogate got us out bottom two and Garner the sack.

Back
Top Bottom