Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

extraordinary claim of arrest of Barbara Olson

guinnessdrinker said:
there are plenty of wild stories out there, should they all be posted? surely if they're that wild, a bit of source checking might not come amiss?
Sadly, Jazzz doesn't "do" research when it comes to conspiraloonery.

He just scoops up shite from bonkers sites and regurgitates it here.

fela fan said:
Your tag line talks about gardening the mind, yet you object to jazzz doing that...
He's not 'gardening'. He's just shoving a load of useless, secondhand garbage about.

editor said:
Sadly, Jazzz doesn't "do" research when it comes to conspiraloonery.

He just scoops up shite from bonkers sites and regurgitates it here.

he does enough research to bring the silly stories up to the urban surface, leaving the rest of us to plug this insane well of stupidity.

guinnessdrinker said:
he does enough research to bring the silly stories up to the urban surface, leaving the rest of us to plug this insane well of stupidity.

Don't look at is as a burden then, look at is as doing some good...

guinnessdrinker said:
I do weed the garden of silly thoughts and fanciful stories, though.

Then your garden wouldn't be complete would it? Surely they have a place in the garden of the human world?

fela fan said:
Then your garden wouldn't be complete would it? Surely they have a place in the garden of the human world?

yes, the compost heap for complete decomposition, or the bonfire. but frankly, I wouldn't want to grow onions and beans on anything that had contact with extraterrestrial lizards and what have you.

editor said:
...What's his qualifications?...
Is there such a thing as a qualification for journalism and does it really matter? This guy seems like a bullshitter regardless of any degrees/certificates/training he may or may not have.

Jazzz said:
You obviously undersand what the word means, which suggests that it is a perfectly valid word to use. It is also more compact than slag off, criticise, rubbish, throw abuse at, tell to piss off or any number of other words and phrases.

TeeJay said:
Is there such a thing as a qualification for journalism and does it really matter? This guy seems like a bullshitter regardless of any degrees/certificates/training he may or may not have.
No, but I'm always hopeful that basic journalistic good practice may be followed by people regurgitating truly bonkers claims, like first checking sources and the credibility of the writer, investigating the motives of the author, researching the background of the site it's hosted on and, of course, dedicating at least a few moments to confirm some of the easily checkable claims in the article.

fela fan said:
Wouldn't it suffice to diss the garbage rather than the messenger...?

If Tom Flocco himself had posted it you might have a point.

How would you feel about someone posting vile racism from an NF website?

Would you not condemn the poster?

I know you're a supporter of unresearched conspiranoid tales, Fela, but a two second Google tells you all you need to know about Tom Fucko... i.e. he's as misinformed and keen on deliberately warping events such as 9/11 as Joe "Cigarettes Are Good For You, But They Killed Me" Vialls was.

Jazzz said:
'diss'? :rolleyes:

man, you're really hip! :D
Jazzz in 'yet another lack of research shocke!r".

I was merely repeating fela's terminology, so I suggest you take up any issues you have with the use of the word with him.

guinnessdrinker said:
but this messenger brings garbage that we neither need nor want. shouldn't we tell him off for that?

Well, i don't agree with that. I do agree that this particular story is a pile of shite, but no-one gets it right all the time. But he ain't no naughty schoolboy that needs telling off.

I think he is a most refreshing contributor to this forum. For a start he gives the impression of being a human being...

butchersapron said:
That should've been aimed at fela surely?

Well, i get the impression that 'diss' has connotations i'm unaware of...? If i'm right, then that goes with the territory of being out of the picture for so long. Every time i go back to britain i find new words in the current lexicon...

editor said:
No, but I'm always hopeful that basic journalistic good practice may be followed by people regurgitating truly bonkers claims, like first checking sources and the credibility of the writer, investigating the motives of the author, researching the background of the site it's hosted on and, of course, dedicating at least a few moments to confirm some of the easily checkable claims in the article.

Hey, c'mon man, are you saying that you want all urbanites to be journalists...? To adhere to that profession's supposed good practices before they post...?

fela fan said:
Well, i get the impression that 'diss' has connotations i'm unaware of...? If i'm right, then that goes with the territory of being out of the picture for so long. Every time i go back to britain i find new words in the current lexicon...
"Diss" is fine (unless you are talking about the town in Norfolk which is very boring). Maybe Jazzz objects to it because it originated from the hiphop scene years back (short for 'disrespect' - so maybe spelt 'dis'?) but it has become very widely used these days.

TeeJay said:
"Diss" is fine (unless you are talking about the town in Norfolk which is very boring). Maybe Jazzz objects to it because it originated from the hiphop scene years back (short for 'disrespect' - so maybe spelt 'dis'?) but it has become very widely used these days.

That's good to read. My job is language, and i'm acutely aware that being out of the picture that i miss new venacular. Your description fits my implicit understanding of the word, so i can now rest easy...!

fela fan said:
Hey, c'mon man, are you saying that you want all urbanites to be journalists...? To adhere to that profession's supposed good practices before they post...?
Editor was originally asking about the qualifications of Flocco:

"Do you think that Flocco has even the slightest shred of credibility as a journalist, then?

What's his qualifications? Why should anyone care what he thinks?"

If someone starts a thread based on a "news" site then surely it is relevant that the source is credible. There are tons of blogs and personal webpages where people post all sorts of crap (for example, here is my geocities ones: http://www.geocities.com/tj_7777777/ ) and if you started using these as references or sources for incredible stories you'd get totally slated for it.

Back
Top Bottom