Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Excuses for being late

If you officially started later and worked later would that make a difference? How late are you talking anyway?
It would, yes.
It’s never more than a few minutes - I’m nearly always at work on time, but I then have to change into work where and hang my bike clothes up. For some reason getting dressed/ready tends to transport me to somewhere else in my head and I forget what I’m doing. I was/still am the sort of kid who’d start getting ready for school with enthusiasm and purpose and yet would be found twenty minutes later staring into space and sitting on the bed in just his pants and half a sock pulled up

It would, yes.
It’s never more than a few minutes - I’m nearly always at work on time, but I then have to change into work where and hang my bike clothes up. For some reason getting dressed/ready tends to transport me to somewhere else in my head and I forget what I’m doing. I was/still am the sort of kid who’d start getting ready for school with enthusiasm and purpose and yet would be found twenty minutes later staring into space and sitting on the bed in just his pants and half a sock pulled up

It sounds as though you need more time for that transition and it's hard having to switch to workmode after your bike ride.

I've successfully used in the past year:
  • A wasp infestation in the ceiling (came to at a friend's place fucked off my tits staring at the roof)
  • Lockjaw (which obvs stops you having to actually call them)
Basically the more bonkers the reason is, the more believable it is. Family deaths are also good.

Except when the grandfather whose funeral you are at pops in to see you at work. :eek:

I'm a punctuality fiend and my wife is not so we only go to things together if it's something fun and doesn't matter or we really have to, when I try and fail to be relaxed about fucking about for ages when we should have left already.
In my last 23 years of work, I was late once.

It sounds as though you need more time for that transition and it's hard having to switch to workmode after your bike ride.
I have no issues with switching into work mode - it’s instant for me, having had to get used to it from working in schools. Kids don’t give you any time to get in the mood and have a coffee or whatever! You’ve got to be on the ball from the get go!

I have no issues with switching into work mode - it’s instant for me, having had to get used to it from working in schools. Kids don’t give you any time to get in the mood and have a coffee or whatever! You’ve got to be on the ball from the get go!

You just said that getting changed is where you get stuck, if it's instant why are you stuck getting changed?

You just said that getting changed is where you get stuck, if it's instant why are you stuck getting changed?
I meant psychologically. I just drift off when doing something that doesn’t require much thought.
I sometimes, if it’s really busy, get stuck in to work straightaway, whilst in my bike gear and wait until it’s calmed down until I go get changed.

Your last day?

I didn't have a last day at HMRC, because I was on sick leave due to the infected wound post chest surgery. Operation was 17th July, wound finally closed 17th of December.

My last day at Sky, when I arrived I was told to spend the day going round the people I wanted to say goodbye to. I think this was because of my stated intention that on my last day, no shit was going to be taken. :)

I didn't have a last day at HMRC, because I was on sick leave due to the infected wound post chest surgery. Operation was 17th July, wound finally closed 17th of December.

My last day at Sky, when I arrived I was told to spend the day going round the people I wanted to say goodbye to. I think this was because of my stated intention that on my last day, no shit was going to be taken. :)
A fucking taxman!!! :D

So if you're not the only one scheduled for opening, changing your start time would be a reasonable adjustment. If you were the only one, they obviously couldn't do that

This.
Reasonable adjustments can include re-organising tasks amongst colleagues in a team in order to improve the experience and performance/reduce physical or psychological or emotional stress of a colleague with a disability or difference.
If others can be there to open up, and there are more than 2 others (I assume that like in many public-service roles that take place at a particular premises, there is a minimum number of staff that have to be present while the building is open to the public, for reasons of safety) then that can happen quite easily.
If other staff feel this is unfair or are resentful, that is not OU's problem - unfortunately this is common especially with "hidden" disabilities, and colleague resentment or confusion forms part of the daily prejudice and lack of understanding that people can face (which includes some of the comments on this thread) and needs to be tackled at an organisation-wide management/education/training level. No-one would (hopefully) bat an eyelid if their role was adjusted to include opening up the building if a colleague who used a wheelchair was unable to reach the lock on the window shutters to do so - no-one would argue that they should find some way of being able to reach the shutter, or that it might be reasonable for them to be disciplined for not reaching the shutter.
If someone is unable to perform the role they are employed in in a much more fundamental way then a large employer can (if the will is there) find someone a role that is more suited to them if their current role cannot be adjusted/tasks re-allocated between existing colleagues.

Last edited:
The thing with habitually late people is that they might never have had to actually wait for someone else and won't have experienced what it feels like.

There are a couple of habitually late people in my life - and on the rare occasions where someone else has been late and they've had to wait, I've noted that they get very irritated.

I reckon that if you're habitually late, that 10 or 15 or 30 minutes simply passes more quicky for you than it does for the person sitting in the car or pub or rain or whatever. So it doesn't seem like such a big deal.
This hadn't occurred to me. I'd love to do that as an experiment :D
Yesterday I was late because I was going to be early and started doing something and lost track of time. The thing I do at work cannot be done by anyone else and when I arrived people were waiting for me. I apologised and said that I’d lost track of time. Everyone seemed okay with it, although I felt crappy about it.

I’ve struggled with time keeping and punctuality my whole life. I’ve tried a billion different strategies and I’ve tried examining myself in order to work out what’s going on.

Being diagnosed with complexPTSD seems to have clarified some of it. I really think my inability to get out of the house on time and the anxieties that erupt whenever I have to wait for anything is rooted in early, complex and ongoing trauma.

I did arrive at some methods and techniques that made me less late and more often on time but as OU said, there was an attendant cost to all that.

On reflection, I see that I’ve pretty much arranged my social life so that almost all my meet ups are in places where it doesn’t matter what time I arrive.

Mobile phones has made it a lot easier to give people updates. If I think I’m going to be late for something that we said a time for, I’ll check way ahead, up to an hour ahead, and say “I think I’m running late”. If it’s a table booking I just work extra time into the plan, pretend to myself that the booking is earlier, be late for that and turn up bang on time. But I’ll be super stressed for at least part of that process.

Being on time sometimes results in me arriving flustered, hyped up and full of kinetic energy from the running etc. That can be really disruptive to those who are already there. That feels rude too. I try to calm down and settle before I join them, sometimes that makes me a few minutes late even though I arrived on time. It’s ridiculous

More recent hellish events led to a huge and acute bout of the PTSD and an equivalent huge uptick in my chronic lateness.

Athos your approach would not only make me sad and anxious it would add further impact to the trauma (I’m a terrible person, I’m no good, Athos hates me, I’m a failure).

Currently it takes me about 40 minutes to get out of the house for a social event. I want to leave, I’m ready to leave, but some kind of fearful part of me never wants to leave the house at all. The battle between those parts is loud, messy, and often idiotic, and sometimes exhausting. I genuinely can’t help it.

But also, I don’t expect anyone else to have to do the housekeeping around my internal shit, so I don’t tell people about this, so they just think I’m rude, discourteous, entitled, out of order etc.

I have to plan plane trips like a military operation and write out timetables for myself.

When I worked somewhere where the timekeeping was ruled like a prison I was in a state of abject misery the entire time. Most of my workplaces have been more relaxed and they know I put the time in, the effort, diligence, responsibility etc) and I guess this is a contributing factor to why I’ve never had a proper grown up career. Also self employed, and once I’m at my desk I’ll work without a break for many hours.

Also, owls and larks. I’m definitely an owl. I think there’s a place (probably Denmark) where they recognise this difference and allow office workers to do the early start or the later start, and finish work early or late after putting in the full complement of hours.
God I relate to all of this so much...and I think my late friends might too. Thanks for sharing.

just my two-penn'orth

I'm quite timeblind and can get easily distracted / or be procrastinating ...
which was a problem when I had a boss with a punctuality fetish.
At the time I had about 40 miles of commute to drive, and if that went well, I was up to 15 minutes "early" but if not - the worst lateness was about 3/4hour [I was assisting with first aid at a RTA / recovery that was blocking the road] although I did ring in from the nearest farm and warned my colleagues - the accident was reported in the afternoon paper ! so I had an alibi when the boss tried to get stroppy]

For my first [paid] library job as a Saturday Assistant, the start time was either 09:00 or 09:30, with public opening at 09:30 [& usually a queue].
Early shift people did the pre-opening shelving & tidying and had the privilege of first lunch & breaks. After closing at five [17:00] the late team did another half an hour on more shelving & tidying, plus finished sorting the issue - which was a book card & readers' ticket system. Always aiming for a clear deck !

Currently, my workshop team are allowed a few minutes leeway, provided they don't take the **** too often I'm not going to come down like a ton of bricks - provided the work is getting done & to a standard I find acceptable. But if it's going to be more than a few minutes, I do expect a call / text / email to let me know. Like, for example, when the train / bus doesn't appear on time !

This thread came up in a search about something else but thought I’d better update as I’m rarely late these days. Mainly because of atomoxetine, but also cos I have a better relationship with my managers and they understand me better after having a proper meeting with them in which I told them what it was like to be me. So drugs work and openness and honesty with employers about this sort of thing is definitely the way to go. Though I have yet to try COMPLETE honesty yet (cos I haven’t really been late), so will let the thread know what happens the next time I’m late and say ‘I’m sorry I’m late, I didn’t really want to be here’

Back
Top Bottom