Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Euro 2020 Punditry

Hollis

bloody furious
I'm enjoying the ITV coverage - particularly the Sky bods - Souness and Keane... slightly larger than life. But a refreshing change from Lineker and Shearer banging on about how many goals they scored 30 years ago..

ITV much better than BBC.

The BBC seem to be unaccountably loyal to some pundits who are incredibly shit, such as Shearer and Richards, and then regularly clear out the others to make way for new blood who are almost always complete rubbish. And why Alex Scott gets so much time is a mystery too - I used to think she bought something new but over the past year or so her contributions have really tailed off - now she's really phoning it in.

On the other side you've got intelligent giants of the game - Vieira, Keane, de Jong, Cole - most of whom we don't get to see pundit-ing during the normal season. I always enjoyed that about the more recent tournaments - insights from genuine legends and experts that you would never normally hear from.

By contrast, the BBC have Fabregas and that's about it as far as I can see.

Hard to avoid the feeling that the BBC coverage is being driven by factors other than love of the game.

Not enjoying Souness at all. Not keen on Ferdinand either. Hate Mark Pougatch with a fire in my belly.

Did I see Ashley Cole somewhere as well? He was dreadful :D

Neville has been good imo.

Don’t have punditry at half time or after the game here. League games have a catch-up show on national TV with pundits . The club channels Porto , Sporting and Benfica have programmes that examine every throw in , tackle and decision on a fucking loop.
The USA channels are quite good , not the usual vested narrative .

The absolute top ones are presumably freelance - Ian Wright, Gary Neville, Ally McCoist - they can probably set their own terms

Don't think he's switched, he's just doing both. GL also does BBC and BT.

Wright is the best pundit anywhere, IMO-FWIW.
Am surprised their contracts don't stop them working for rivals.

Lineker is different as he does MOTD on saturday and Champions League during the week.

Regardless of their overall performance, I have enjoyed Cesc Fabregas whenever he’s been on the BBC coverage of matches.

Don’t have punditry at half time or after the game here. League games have a catch-up show on national TV with pundits . The club channels Porto , Sporting and Benfica have programmes that examine every throw in , tackle and decision on a fucking loop.
The USA channels are quite good , not the usual vested narrative .
ESPN is fucking awful. Kasey Keller gets on my tits.

Speaking as someone who only watches football at international tournaments.

It seems compulsory for Scottish and Welsh pundits to be 100% partisan for their National team and the English ones (except Wrighty of course) tend to be more neutral when the 3 Lions are playing. Maybe higher expectations?

Non-Anglophone pundits invariably provide better analysis than our home-grown lot even though they’re talking in what is minimum their second language, also I find the female pundits outperform the male ones.

The BBC production has a lofty baked in arrogance that they’re the nations favourite which is embodied by Lineker. ITV coverage superior - as it often is in a direct comparison. Maybe advert breaks mean they have less scope for waffle.

Eric Abidal wasn't bad yesterday on the France game. And I liked how ITV had McCoist and Dixon swapping banter in the commentary box on Friday night.

Is there any truth that Ashley Cole nearly swerved his car off the road when he heard what the BBC were offering him?

To be 5live's coverage is good. But it, nearly, always is.

But on TV, its definitely ITV. I really enjoyed the commentary on the Eng v Scot match, if only for the banter between. McCoist and Dixon.

"Finland's Manager used to be a maths teacher, and he's got the numbers in the final third".

Martin Keown.

Kill me now.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I love Keown. I remain a little amazed, all this years later, that such a troglodytic player turned out to be so intelligent and erudite. He goes off the deep end from time to time and has a whispered intensity that Barney Ronay at the Guardian is very good on (talking as if a dog has just died) but he's essentially a cut above most of them.

Helps that he's a Gooner, obviously.

I love Keown. I remain a little amazed, all this years later, that such a troglodytic player turned out to be so intelligent and erudite. He goes off the deep end from time to time and has a whispered intensity that Barney Ronay at the Guardian is very good on (talking as if a dog has just died) but he's essentially a cut above most of them.

Helps that he's a Gooner, obviously.
He was an intelligent and indeed erudite player as he is an erudite and intelligent commentator.

Does anyone know if the commentators and co-commentators at each match are actually in the stadium? It sounds like it (cf early days of football italia when Peter Brackley was clearly in a studio somewhere in London) but on the other hand it seems unlikely given covid and how far they'd have to travel between some cities.

Does anyone know if the commentators and co-commentators at each match are actually in the stadium? It sounds like it (cf early days of football italia when Peter Brackley was clearly in a studio somewhere in London) but on the other hand it seems unlikely given covid and how far they'd have to travel between some cities.

I think they were in Copenhagen yesterday but not sure.

Who doesn't pundit but should do?

I'm sure Duncan Ferguson would have some views...

I'd actually assumed they were still in the UK, just because of the logistics involved and potential quarantine issues. But maybe they've just been assigned specific venues/countries and stick within that?

Ashley Cole always looks like he's been bang on it and come along on the roll over :D he was better pitch side than in the studio.

Back
Top Bottom