Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

So your answer is to move the cars away from your front door and put them outside my front door?
What's that acronym again... Something to do with back yards?
No. The point is to make car travel less convenient altogether and encourage people onto public transport.

Only about a third of Londoners use cars as their main form of transport. Not only are very few of them making journeys that could be described as essential but most of them are getting in the way of those that are.

I didn't live on a main road but it had 200 yards if straight line so there was always some wanker breaking the speed limit trying to get round the inevitable traffic jam elsewhere.

Cities are for people.

Cars are driven by people, they aren't abstract monsters. Cities are about living in close proximity for the efficiency gains, but this inevitably comes with compromises for individuals, which you no doubt took into account when deciding to live in London and not somewhere like Sark.

No. The point is to make car travel less convenient altogether and encourage people onto public transport.

Only about a third of Londoners use cars as their main form of transport. Not only are very few of them making journeys that could be described as essential but most of them are getting in the way of those that are.
We're in the middle of a pandemic. Who in their right mind will want to use public transport?

I lived on a main road into Manchester when I was a kid. It was a road, for vehicles. It facilitated people getting to where they needed to be.
One of our cats got run over and killed on the road one day, and it was traumatic. Fortunately, my mother and the green cross code man taught us that the road was for cars, and wasn't for playing on, and it worked, we didn't die on the road.
Roads are for vehicles...

I was up in Scotland the other week, the rural and car dependent area that I grew up in.

Most times I'm there I hear about a recent road fatality. This time it wasn't long after I arrived that we drove past a certain point at which it was mentioned 3 teenage pedestrians had been hit by a car. It's a road I know pretty well, and the incident happened at a curve that's at the end of a straight that I know people often speed on. One of the teenagers is now dead and another has life changing injuries that they'll never recover from.

It's really a shame that neither of these teenagers' had sufficient family pets killed, and were subject to deficient parenting. So many missed opportunities to ram it home to them that they will get what they deserve if they go near dangerous drivers getting to where they need to be.

Roads are for vehicles and lets hope this teaches other kids a lesson.

I was up in Scotland the other week, the rural and car dependent area that I grew up in.

Most times I'm there I hear about a recent road fatality. This time it wasn't long after I arrived that we drove past a certain point at which it was mentioned 3 teenage pedestrians had been hit by a car. It's a road I know pretty well, and the incident happened at a curve that's at the end of a straight that I know people often speed on. One of the teenagers is now dead and another has life changing injuries that they'll never recover from.

It's really a shame that neither of these teenagers' had sufficient family pets killed, and were subject to deficient parenting. So many missed opportunities to ram it home to them that they will get what they deserve if they go near dangerous drivers getting to where they need to be.

There was a problem like that near here, a school route too. To avoid accidents such as the one you mention, the council solved it by buying a strip of land alongside the road, on the other side of the hedgerow, and creating a path for pedestrians so they didn't have to walk in the road.

Cars are driven by people, they aren't abstract monsters. Cities are about living in close proximity for the efficiency gains, but this inevitably comes with compromises for individuals, which you no doubt took into account when deciding to live in London and not somewhere like Sark.
No. Like most people my decisions about where I live have been based mainly on economic factors. I would imagine a very small proportion of the human race gets to choose where they live on any other basis.

Like your mythical northerners who aren't taking that job in Barnard Castle because they've already moved where the work is.

There was a problem like that near here, a school route too. To avoid accidents such as the one you mention, the council solved it by buying a strip of land alongside the road, on the other side of the hedgerow, and creating a path for pedestrians so they didn't have to walk in the road.
What's your point?

What does that have to do with cars or LTNs? That's entirely the fault of cunts, who happen to be in a car.
300 people a year in the UK are killed by knife attacks, and about 5000 hospitalised. Should we ban knives? Of course not, because that would be fucking stupid, wouldn't it?

Privilege is buying a house in London, then doing everything in your power to increase the value of your house, to the detriment of those less well off than you.
Where do the 46% of Londoners who use public transport daily fit into this?

And not everyone who owns a house is speculating on the value. I own a house (or rather the bank does and I am mortgaged for most of my remaining life) but have no interest at all in house prices going up. I'm sure there's technically some value I could extract from prices going up but I'll probably due in this house and it just makes it less likely my kids can move out.

What does that have to do with cars or LTNs? That's entirely the fault of cunts, who happen to be in a car.
300 people a year in the UK are killed by knife attacks, and about 5000 hospitalised. Should we ban knives? Of course not, because that would be fucking stupid, wouldn't it?
You're not allowed to walk down the road with a knife. How about we make it so cars are only allowed in kitchens?

No. Like most people my decisions about where I live have been based mainly on economic factors. I would imagine a very small proportion of the human race gets to choose where they live on any other basis.

Of course they do. No one buys or rents a home simply based on the price. Were there no existing cul-de-sacs you could have chosen to live on? You thought it would be a good idea to live on a through road despite hating moving vehicles?

Where do the 46% of Londoners who use public transport daily fit into this?

And not everyone who owns a house is speculating on the value.
I've no idea. Do they own a house, an if so, where is it? Do they own a car? Are they trying to get cars moved from their front door? Etc.

And yeah, people don't care how much their house is worth... 🤣

I'm not sure what your point was, but my point is that we need to build better roads, so that when humans inevitably make mistakes the consequences are less likely to be bad.
So would you agree that all rural roads should have sub-40mph speed limits implemented until they have been provided with fully segregated pedestrian footpaths? And where there is no space for a segregated footpath to be built alongside the existing road, would you be happy for not only a speed limit to be implemented, but the roadway narrowed by as much as is necessary to accommodate a proper footpath?

So would you agree that all rural roads should have sub-40mph speed limits implemented until they have been provided with fully segregated pedestrian footpaths? And where there is no space for a segregated footpath to be built alongside the existing road, would you be happy for not only a speed limit to be implemented, but the roadway narrowed by as much as is necessary to accommodate a proper footpath?

Speed limits don't stop speeding do they, certainly not speeding by the people likely to have single-vehicle accidents. And narrow roads don't stop vehicles departing from the road in crashes, in fact a narrow road with a narrow pavement is just about the worst layout imaginable.

The only thing that actually stops speeding is density of traffic. Scrapping useless rural buses and introducing subsidised e-taxis for everyone in remote areas would certainly help in that regard, and would also help with the problem of pedestrians walking on rural A-roads.

Of course they do. No one buys or rents a home simply based on the price. Were there no existing cul-de-sacs you could have chosen to live on? You thought it would be a good idea to live on a through road despite hating moving vehicles?
If I meant 'price of house' when I said economic factors them obviously I could just buy a house in Sunderland or somewhere where they're cheap and commute to my London based job from there. And no, not a lot of cul-de-sacs where I live.

And I don't live on a through road, I said I grew up on one. The bottom of the road I live in was bollarded decades before I moved here to stop it being a ratrun. We're still the pissheads' shortcut home on Friday and Saturday nights though.

And yeah, people don't care how much their house is worth... 🤣
Completely separate argument but I don't see how it benefits me. I'll never own two properties so I'll only ever be swapping like for like and if house prices keep going up the kids'll never go. I'm sure there's some value I could extract somehow but at the moment the only positive is it's cheaper than renting.

Speed limits don't stop speeding do they, certainly not speeding by the people likely to have single-vehicle accidents. And narrow roads don't stop vehicles departing from the road in crashes, in fact a narrow road with a narrow pavement is just about the worst layout imaginable.

The only thing that actually stops speeding is density of traffic. Scrapping useless rural buses and introducing subsidised e-taxis for everyone in remote areas would certainly help in that regard, and would also help with the problem of pedestrians walking on rural A-roads.
Speed limiters would stop speeding.

So, fit speed limiters to all vehicles, set speed limits appropriate to the width of the roadway that's left over after a proper footpath has been built and we're all happy, right?

Completely separate argument but I don't see how it benefits me. I'll never own two properties so I'll only ever be swapping like for like and if house prices keep going up the kids'll never go. I'm sure there's some value I could extract somehow but at the moment the only positive is it's cheaper than renting.
By the time you retire you'll be able to swap it for a mansion outside the city. How is that not a benefit?

Speed limiters would stop speeding.

So, fit speed limiters to all vehicles, set speed limits appropriate to the width of the roadway that's left over after a proper footpath has been built and we're all happy, right?
There is one - and only one - argument against gps based speed limiters. “I’m a selfish twat who wants to drive fast where I shouldn’t”.

There is one - and only one - argument against gps based speed limiters. “I’m a selfish twat who wants to drive fast where I shouldn’t”.
Then there's the one that GPS can be quite inaccurate, and when these GPS speed limiters were tested, cars were braking on the motorway when they drove near roads with lower speed limits, which, as you must agree, is extremely dangerous?

Then there's the one that GPS can be quite inaccurate, and when these GPS speed limiters were tested, cars were braking on the motorway when they drove near roads with lower speed limits, which, as you must agree, is extremely dangerous?
Yeah, but the thing is, that's not how they actually work. It's proven technology and it's going to start being introduced from next year (at last).

Yeah, but the thing is, that's not how they actually work. It's proven technology and it's going to start being introduced from next year (at last).

The ones that read road signs are even worse, because they react to signs on oblique side roads. And yes, the proposal isn't for braking but for engine limitation, which is just as bad if you're trying to join a motorway. Anyway they can be over-ridden by flooring it, so they won't actually limit the kind of people who cause most accidents.

Back
Top Bottom