Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

As a barrister and former head of the prosecutors, I'm sure he wouldn't be so foolish as to say bikes when he meant motorbikes.
Off-road bicycles are called mountain bikes. I'm not aware of any mountain bike races taking place in residential areas. Racing mountain bikes on the road would be very 1980s.

As a barrister and former head of the prosecutors, I'm sure he wouldn't be so foolish as to say bikes when he meant motorbikes.
We don't know what he said, because it's written by the journalist and is not a quote of Starmer's words. As a car person, your inattention to detail is unsurprising.

We don't know what he said, because it's written by the journalist and is not a quote of Starmer's words. As a car person, your inattention to detail is unsurprising.
I did notice that and checked to see what he actually said. I didn't find a direct quote, but he did retweet the Guardian article in which those words were written, so obviously endorses them as an accurate reflection of what he said.

Off-road bicycles are called mountain bikes. I'm not aware of any mountain bike races taking place in residential areas. Racing mountain bikes on the road would be very 1980s.

He's not talking about organised races, because high-powered car races in residential streets aren't a thing either. I suspect he's referring to people using roads legally but in a manner that upsets curtain-twichers. That's what anti-social behavior is anyway, e.g. kids kicking balls against walls and loitering in pavements. Anything actually illegal is by definition already covered under existing police powers.

He's not talking about organised races, because high-powered car races in residential streets aren't a thing either. I suspect he's referring to people using roads legally but in a manner that upsets curtain-twichers. That's what anti-social behavior is anyway, e.g. kids kicking balls against walls and loitering in pavements. Anything actually illegal is by definition already covered under existing police powers.
Well, exactly. People driving cheap, incredibly noisy, excessively polluting off-road motorbikes with no number plates is an antisocial problem. I’m not aware of inner-city gangs of mountain bikers.

He talks about low level crime so what he is talking about includes stuff that's already illegal. But lots of illegal behaviour on the roads goes on without the police doing anything about it, because enforcement is a low political priority thanks to people like the car people on this thread, who continually resist any restrictions on their freedom to drive around injuring people.

The majority of car people on this thread live in their gated mansions in the home counties, so may be unaware of what things are like in many urban areas, where it's just normal to see cars and motorbikes being raced around the streets for fun. I don't have curtains so can't twitch them but regularly see this going on from my window. Sometimes the racers take a junction too fast and end up on the pavement metres from my front door. The last one went right through a front garden wall and smashed the window into someone's living room. It's just a bit of a lark though, so if some day it happens while someone is walking on the relevant bit of the pavement, I'll post up a description on here so that we can all have a laugh about it.

You've shifted goalposts slightly there. Drift races in supermarket carparks are definitely a thing and supermarkets are often in residential neighbourhoods. Did you forget the car drivers a few pages ago given token punishments for ploughing into spectators at an illegal race meet?

Just saw this today, the former station building at Welshpool. What better use for an old rail track bed than a more versatile and useful form of transport infrastructure?
The "old track bed" of which you speak was the terminating end of the Welshpool and Llanfair light railway, which had street-level running through the town, only operated for 29 years and closed to passenger service in 1931. The defunct part of the station wasn't built on until the 1990s.

The main line is still in place on the other side of the road, with a new station at the other end of the bridge in your photo.

In Lambeth, south London we've recently had the outcome of a court case which essentially looked at whether or not the council had implemented experimental low traffic neighbourhoods according to the law. A major part of this was whether or not they had followed their duty to consider potential negative effects for disabled people. The conclusion was that the council did follow the law.

The groups who initiated the court case, having had their claims all dismissed, are increasingly losing the plot. Over the past months there's been a general ramping up of the message that LTNs are intrinsically racist, sexist and ablist.

But they've cranked it up a further notch now, with an elected conservative councillor describing it as "eugenics":

Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 12.10.23.jpg

LTN's do seem to have got some people very hot under the collar. I'd say its too much sun but there hasn't been any of that recently.

It would be complete fruitcake bollocks for anyone to suggest LTNs are intrinsically racist, sexist and ablist.

In a great many cases however they amount to nothing more than middle-class fucking NIMBYism at its most cynical, hypocritical and nauseating. Not to mention damaging to the poor sods outside the areas who now live among pretty much permanent traffic jams during all daylight hours when before they only happened at peak rush hour, and not even every day.

If closing smaller residential roads to through traffic creates permanent jams elsewhere that means there are too many fucking cars, not that LTN’s are wrong.
No, it means that the LTNs are wrong and/or we need more roads.
"Hey, I have a great solution to the increasing traffic problem, let's close roads!" :facepalm:
NIMBYism at its finest.
The brief was more along the lines of 'How can we make our houses worth more', and it's no surprise that certain posters are siding with this.

If closing smaller residential roads to through traffic creates permanent jams elsewhere that means there are too many fucking cars, not that LTN’s are wrong.

What nonsense. If you close small bus stops and this creates large queues at principle bus stops, does it mean you ought not to have closed those bus stops, or that there are too many fucking bus passengers?

If you really did need to close those bus stops because nearby residents simply could not stand the sight of loitering bus passengers, then an appropriate solution might be to compulsorily purchase some of their houses to make way for a new guided busway.

What nonsense. If you close small bus stops and this creates large queues at principle bus stops, does it mean you ought not to have closed those bus stops, or that there are too many fucking bus passengers?
What if there's a permanent traffic jam but all the buses are a quarter full? What does that mean? We need larger buses with SUV styling?

No, it means that the LTNs are wrong and/or we need more roads.
"Hey, I have a great solution to the increasing traffic problem, let's close roads!" :facepalm:
NIMBYism at its finest.
The brief was more along the lines of 'How can we make our houses worth more', and it's no surprise that certain posters are siding with this.
I'm sure it's just a meaningless coincidence that so many of these LTNs have ended up being used to regulate not single streets or small cluster of local streets near a junction that had been traditionally used for so-called rat runs, but for entire vast 'triangles' and conservation areas comprising fine Victorian housing stock, high property values and a decisively middle class local population, and which already enjoyed low levels of traffic. Such as the estate agent-tastic 'ABC Avenues' conservation area in Streatham, or vast chunks of Parsons Green and other parts of leafy Fulham.

I'm sure it's just a meaningless coincidence that so many of these LTNs have ended up being used to regulate not single streets or small cluster of local streets near a junction that had been traditionally used for so-called rat runs, but for entire vast 'triangles' and conservation areas comprising fine Victorian housing stock, high property values and a decisively middle class local population, and which already enjoyed low levels of traffic. Such as the estate agent-tastic 'ABC Avenues' conservation area in Streatham, or vast chunks of Parsons Green and other parts of leafy Fulham.
Anyone capable of critical thinking knows exactly what LTNs are for and who they benefit. The nonsense that they are designed to reduce pollution is fucking laughable.

Anyone capable of critical thinking knows exactly what LTNs are for and who they benefit. The nonsense that they are designed to reduce pollution is fucking laughable.
You'll know all about LTNs from your shed in rural Ireland won't you. I lived on a ratrun when I was a kid. It was shit.

I have no idea of the motivation for choosing the LTN areas, but I doubt it was as mendacious as I infer you are suggesting
The ABC roads were a great rat run to nip the corner off the south circular / A23 cross-over. I used to use them as a matter of course
Now I am limited to using the crown & sceptre junction.
It is of no consolation to be people living on those A roads, but it certainly reduces the rat running through minor residential roads

You'll know all about LTNs from your shed in rural Ireland won't you. I lived on a ratrun when I was a kid. It was shit.
I lived on a main road into Manchester when I was a kid. It was a road, for vehicles. It facilitated people getting to where they needed to be.
One of our cats got run over and killed on the road one day, and it was traumatic. Fortunately, my mother and the green cross code man taught us that the road was for cars, and wasn't for playing on, and it worked, we didn't die on the road.
Roads are for vehicles...

I lived on a main road into Manchester when I was a kid. It was a road, for vehicles. It facilitated people getting to where they needed to be.
One of our cats got run over and killed on the road one day, and it was traumatic. Fortunately, my mother and the green cross chose man taught us that the road was for cars, and wasn't for playing on, and it worked, we didn't die on the road.
Roads are for vehicles...
I didn't live on a main road but it had 200 yards if straight line so there was always some wanker breaking the speed limit trying to get round the inevitable traffic jam elsewhere.

Cities are for people.

I didn't live on a main road but it had 200 yards if straight line so there was always some wanker breaking the speed limit trying to get round the inevitable traffic jam elsewhere.

Cities are for people.
So your answer is to move the cars away from your front door and put them outside my front door?
What's that acronym again... Something to do with back yards?

If you really did need to close those bus stops because nearby residents simply could not stand the sight of loitering bus passengers, then an appropriate solution might be to compulsorily purchase some of their houses to make way for a new guided busway.
I think you need to Google “false equivalence”

Back
Top Bottom